**Official 3G Turbo TL Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i could get some r.c. injectors if i need to. or may be some from the rl could work?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've notice a lot of people getting exhaust work done. Does anyone have any undercarriage shots?..particularly near the engine bay??
Old 09-30-2006, 06:03 PM
I LOVE MY TL

is there any TL with a turbo running around?in MA?when i was driving on 93 south going to lawrence,MA i saw this TL from my rear mirror.it was a 3gen black/aspec kit with white rims.so i slow down to seee a closer look it look nice...the TL was next to me.. soo i lower down my window and say nice car..he put his thrumbs up by that time my exit came up soo i slowly went in my exit and he drove pass me ..i heard a psssshh sound from his car.could it be a custom turbo?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
^^ are you sure it's not the CAI whistle????
Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 AM
I LOVE MY TL

i hang in lowell alot and around there are alot of STI and EVO's.i been hearing bov alot and im sure i cant be mistaken by a cai and bov.cai doesnt make a loud psssh sound.cai makes a sucking sound like a vaccum..that what i think..
Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek32v6
I've notice a lot of people getting exhaust work done. Does anyone have any undercarriage shots?..particularly near the engine bay??

Yep. Not sure if this is exactly the angle you want though.

Facing forward

I'll get some better ones if you still need them.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by subinf
Yep. Not sure if this is exactly the angle you want though.
Is that custom? If so, it looks much like the factory pipe...for some reason, I'm thinking the factory pipe is flat on the lower side of the curve....hmmmm
Old 10-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I like to whistle in my

If you could get one looking straight up that would be cool. No rush[ im not sure how much time and access you have to a left. I was trying to get a better idea of piping space under the car as far as exhaust side of the turbo. I have an idea as far as where the exhuast would come down but concerns regarding miscellaneous bars, frame, etc. being an issue.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by ViNhXoNxAcuraTL
i hang in lowell alot and around there are alot of STI and EVO's.i been hearing bov alot and im sure i cant be mistaken by a cai and bov.cai doesnt make a loud psssh sound.cai makes a sucking sound like a vaccum..that what i think..
Well if it is, I sure wish they would post on AZ

Originally Posted by subinf

The second one is helpful.thanx.If you could get one looking straight up that would be cool. No rush[ im not sure how much time and access you have to a lift]. I was trying to get a better idea of piping space under the car as far as exhaust side of the turbo. I have an idea as far as where the exhuast would come down but concerns regarding miscellaneous bars, frame, etc. being an issue.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Wow, it's been a while since I posted in this site. My interest for turbo charging my TL has died down as time went by. I did contact a company about a kit when I first got my TL, and inquired members on this board if they would be interested. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of a demand for the company to produce the kit. They do have a DIY kit which we can use on our cars.

Here's the site:

http://www.ststurbo.com

HTH
Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone have any new info on the kit?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I heard about the ststurbo systems on Spike tv and thought that would be an excellent alternative to a turbo kit in our engine bays... Maybe we should give them a call
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek32v6
Well if it is, I sure wish they would post on AZ

The second one is helpful.thanx.If you could get one looking straight up that would be cool. No rush[ im not sure how much time and access you have to a lift]. I was trying to get a better idea of piping space under the car as far as exhaust side of the turbo. I have an idea as far as where the exhuast would come down but concerns regarding miscellaneous bars, frame, etc. being an issue.

Holy crap I forgot I posed those pics. Sorry - if I had remembered I did that I would have taken much better ones. I get as much lift time as I need so I could have gotten exactly what you needed. Sorry about that.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:30 PM
My Daily Driver

Is there any progress on this?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I like to whistle in my

comes and goes to be honest personally...thats life. I know i have access to a lift now but is the time there? Had enough to rotate tires and install CT RSB... maybe in the summer during the break i'll get some real mock up time. Seeing a thread on HTech some on put a kit on a J series motor but in a civic hatch..inspiring... Either way. its possible. Money is more the issue with me. I'm a teacher so I only make some much especially with other investments on the side. Have to prioritize but i research when i can
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
I like to whistle in my

"...Its a J30 from a 2005 Accord. Water to air intercooler, 1000cc injectors. 80mm Throttle Body. Intake manifold completely ported out. Secondaries removed...."

http://www.powerrevracing.com/

Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Whoa...I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for that black TL!!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

YOU DO KNOW ABOUT THESE GAY THINGS DONT YOU....FOR THE TRUE POSER? :ghey:

Here is the advertisement with it....

Do you want your car to sound like it has a turbo without spending $5000 on an actual turbo. The Exhaust BOV installs on your exhaust tip and makes it sound like a BOV from turbo every time you accelerate and let go of the gas pedal. Sound will vary between engines and mufflers. Best results are produced on a 3 inch exhaust tip.

And talk about Ghey.....listen to the sound clip....

http://www.mimousafiles.com/prods/tsound.mp3

:ghey:

Somebody need to rewrite the ad - Do you want that Turbo sound without the actual power behind it....lordy. How Ghey! Gay! AND Gey!

Ok...I will just say it....you'd have to be a huge fag to run this thing!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
YOU DO KNOW ABOUT THESE GAY THINGS DONT YOU....FOR THE TRUE POSER? :ghey:

Here is the advertisement with it....

Do you want your car to sound like it has a turbo without spending $5000 on an actual turbo. The Exhaust BOV installs on your exhaust tip and makes it sound like a BOV from turbo every time you accelerate and let go of the gas pedal. Sound will vary between engines and mufflers. Best results are produced on a 3 inch exhaust tip.

And talk about Ghey.....listen to the sound clip....

http://www.mimousafiles.com/prods/tsound.mp3

:ghey:

Somebody need to rewrite the ad - Do you want that Turbo sound without the actual power behind it....lordy. How Ghey! Gay! AND Gey!

Ok...I will just say it....you'd have to be a huge fag to run this thing!

it's kinda like auto people putting into neutral to make themselves look like manual transmission... ghey :ghey:
Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Instructor

I am willing to help you guys out and try to make this a more widely accepted reality for all who wish to turbo their TL. In theory its really not hard to do on the TL, my biggest concern is going to be tuning. I was going to work with hondata on a reflash/ programmable ECU for TL awhile back. I had to pass on my end due to me not having enough time to devote to the project.

I will start off by telling you guys a little about myself for the sake of the ones that would be interested in working on this project.

I have many years r&d experience with boosted Hondas, most noted for my work on the mighty K series engines. I was there from just about the beginning of making a turbo charged, high HP K series engine dream come true. I devoted my self to making things happen in the boosted k series world. Although I was only one person of a k series army devoted to the same, I was able to make a name for myself and am proud of all that happened in that scene.

I worked with GReddy on the first mass production turbo kit for the rsx using a Mitsubishi T517Z turbo. I also worked very closely with Hondata on several projects for the k series including a greddy turbo reflash, and tuning the k20a2 running a greddy turbo kit(and other various turbo kits) using the Hondata K-Pro(my rsx was one of the first dyno tuned greddy turboed rsx's using the hondata k-pro in the world, which was closely monitored by hondata). I helped in the forced induction r&d for the k-Pro during its very early stages and up to its full capabilities it has today. I was very active in the ECU tuning and trouble shooting bugs/issues with the k-pro. It is now a very great tuning tool today that can't be matched in the k-series standalone world.

Some of you that frequented any k series forums(especially clubrsx.com) will probably know me best from my vigilant debunking of cybernation's guardian piggyback. A campaign I embarked on to keep aftermarket parts vendors honest with what their products do and how they market their products.

Anyway, I said all that to say this; I am willing to lend my help and knowledge to this cause. I too, am a TL owner and would really enjoy being able to further this cause to a more accepted level among vendors. I might be able to get hondata on board to do something regarding the ECU if need be(get production going on a turbo kit for the TL) it would require a lot of r&d(i would do a lot on my end if it becomes a reality) to do, but would be worth it in my opinion. Especially as the market is now seeing higher mileage TL's out there and are more affordable to the masses. Its an excellent chassis for this sort of thing.

If any of you have experience and a good amount of knowledge and are willing to help out, please step forward... We will need all the help we can get from everybody. All in favor say I?

if you guys are really interested in doing this, i will start a new thread just for this topic alone.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Racer

Was browsing eBay when I found this:

Turbo Accord

Here's a perfect example of what a turbo application would look like for our 3G TL's if done right, but I'm not too sure the motor will be able to handle it. Take a look, just a thought
Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by encrypted03

Turbo Accord

Here's a perfect example of what a turbo application would look like for our 3G TL's if done right, but I'm not too sure the motor will be able to handle it. Take a look, just a thought
that looks to be a one off kit. the turbo placement is good.

can the J32A3 handle it? of course. it has nothing to do with the kit as long as the parts are properly matched. its all in the boost pressures being run, proper parts and engineering and tuning, tuning, tuning! there is no doubt that you will see huge power numbers on a safely tuned and engineered turboed J32A3.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I like to whistle in my

Its the same guy from the V 6 honda site. The shop spent all this time doing the pipe work and didn't duplicate any of it! I from one of the many people who PM'd and emailed them didn't get a response and it pisses me off. What kinda business are they running? Emailed them at their website and still didn't get a response. You can read up more on this guys setup on that V 6 website for hondas. If you want I could upload some pics i had copied.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Originally Posted by encrypted03

Turbo Accord

That certainly is a special Honda Accord. If anyone decides to go the turbo route I would suggest following this guys setup.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I like to whistle in my

LOL! I already copy and pasted that into a word document.lol.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Instructor

the dual BB garrett GT35R turbo they used is a perfect match for the street/stip(good low end torque, quike spool and good peak HP) set up. nice turbo, i actually had one on my rsx.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
That certainly is a special Honda Accord. If anyone decides to go the turbo route I would suggest following this guys setup.
I would have to see more of the kit to make that sort of judgement. Things like kit quality and proper engineering are very important. And tuning is a problem. If he is using a piggyback, it would not be a good set-up. I refuse to reley on a afc(map clamp) to tune a engine/ setup like this. I have a lot to back up that claim. Its not a good thing for a properly setup turboed engine that uses a MAP sensor and a speed/density ECU.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Here is his list... check your account balance before making any purchases hehe.

Acura 3.5L Hybrid Swap
J32A3 Block
J32A2 Pistons 10.5:1
J35A5 Connecting Rods
J35A5 Crankshaft
Custom TotalSeal Piston Rings
J30A4 OEM Heads
Spec Racing Stage 3+ Clutch
Spec Racing Pressure Plate
Spec Racing Throw out bearing
Comptech Lightweight Flywheel
Optima Red Top Battery
Royal Purple Synchromesh M/T Fluid
Royal Purple Synthetic 10w-40 motor oil
Mobile-1 Oil Filter
Redline Water Wetter
DIY Polished Intake Manifold
DIY Polished Intake Manifold Cover
Polished Oil Fill Cap
Taylor 2/0 ga. Battery Relocation Kit
Stinger 2/0 ga. Distribution Block
Outlaw Engineering Thermo-block spacer for Intake Manifold
Outlaw Engineering Thermo-block Spacer for Throttle body
Comptech Short Shifter

TURBO etc.

Garrett Polished GT35R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo w/V-Band Flange
Custom 2.5” Turbo Manifold
Turbo XS Type-H RFL BOV
Precision Intercooler-Rated 600hp
Custom Intercooler 2.5" Piping
Intercooler Piping Powder coated Black
Tial Polished 44mm Wastegate
Tial 44mm Wastegate V-band Flange kit
RC Engineering 550cc Injectors
Greddy E-Manage Ultimate Piggy Back Computer
Greddy Profec-B spec-II Boost Controller
Greddy Turbo Timer
Greddy Pressure Sensor
Greddy A/F Harness
Green 4” Air Filter
DEI Black Turbo Manifold Heat wrap
Custom ATP S/S Oil Feed
Custom ATP S/S Oil Drain
ATP Oil Feed Restrictor
ATP T3 Flange
ATP T3 Flange gasket

EXHAUST

Custom 3" Down Pipe
3" V-band Downpipe flange kit
Turbo-Back Custom 3" S/S Polished Exhaust
2 Aero-turbine 2540i Polished S/S Mufflers w/4" Tips
DEI Downpipe Exhaust Wrap
Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

two issues. the first one the is the injector size. i would go with no less than RC 650cc injectors. i dont see a FPR(fuel pressure regulator) in that list or fuel pump so its reall safe to say the 550cc injectors are too small for the fuel needs at the kind of boost pressures that i would run.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would hope that you guys would work on the internal parts first before putting a turbo on since our engines aren't really built for turbos.

It might make the engine last longer.

I definately wouldn't want to see this happen ---->

Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Instructor

two issues. the first one the is the injector size. i would go with no less than RC 650cc injectors. i dont see a FPR(fuel pressure regulator) in that list or fuel pump so its reall safe to say the 550cc injectors are too small for the fuel needs at the kind of boost pressures that i would run.

the second problem is what is handeling the tuning duties. i piggyback like that is nothing more than a bandaid. true engine managemnt(standalone) must be employed for maximum power and reliability. a AFC is not going to cut it. you ned to be able to have real control over ignition timing as well as fuel. but not by clamping the MAP sensor.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I would hope that you guys would work on the internal parts first before putting a turbo on since our engines aren't really built for turbos.

It might make the engine last longer.

I definately wouldn't want to see this happen ---->

this statement is obsolutly not true. with low boost pressure and proper tuning it is very safe. it has been done again and again on stock engines that were normally aspirated from the factory. just about every vtec engine made boosts well. the higher static compression engines are the most notable for making big power and staying very reliable when properly setup and tuned.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Instructor

btw, there is no difference wear and tear wise between a supercharged engine over a turboed engine running the same boost pressures. turboes typically make more power due to effiency, not becuase the engine is laboring harder at same boost pressures than the supercharged engine.

CJ
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor

of course tuning the two is completly different. but we are speaking realiabilty wise, both with proper tuning. SCing on a high static compression engine is a little better due to the fact that you dont have the same back pressure issues to contend with like you do with a turbo. this keeps egts down because you can run more ignition timing at WOT in boost.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Instructor

but if you choose the correct turbine section for your turbo setup and the correct parts combination for the kit and a big exhaust(3in) you can take away the back pressue issue(allowing you to run more ignition timing and more bsoot safely) and happily boost away on such high static compression as the j32a3 (11:1).

CJ
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
I am willing to help you guys out and try to make this a more widely accepted reality for all who wish to turbo their TL. In theory its really not hard to do on the TL, my biggest concern is going to be tuning. I was going to work with hondata on a reflash/ programmable ECU for TL awhile back. I had to pass on my end due to me not having enough time to devote to the project.

I will start off by telling you guys a little about myself for the sake of the ones that would be interested in working on this project.

I have many years r&d experience with boosted Hondas, most noted for my work on the mighty K series engines. I was there from just about the beginning of making a turbo charged, high HP K series engine dream come true. I devoted my self to making things happen in the boosted k series world. Although I was only one person of a k series army devoted to the same, I was able to make a name for myself and am proud of all that happened in that scene.

I worked with GReddy on the first mass production turbo kit for the rsx using a Mitsubishi T517Z turbo. I also worked very closely with Hondata on several projects for the k series including a greddy turbo reflash, and tuning the k20a2 running a greddy turbo kit(and other various turbo kits) using the Hondata K-Pro(my rsx was one of the first dyno tuned greddy turboed rsx's using the hondata k-pro in the world, which was closely monitored by hondata). I helped in the forced induction r&d for the k-Pro during its very early stages and up to its full capabilities it has today. I was very active in the ECU tuning and trouble shooting bugs/issues with the k-pro. It is now a very great tuning tool today that can't be matched in the k-series standalone world.

Some of you that frequented any k series forums(especially clubrsx.com) will probably know me best from my vigilant debunking of cybernation's guardian piggyback. A campaign I embarked on to keep aftermarket parts vendors honest with what their products do and how they market their products.

Anyway, I said all that to say this; I am willing to lend my help and knowledge to this cause. I too, am a TL owner and would really enjoy being able to further this cause to a more accepted level among vendors. I might be able to get hondata on board to do something regarding the ECU if need be(get production going on a turbo kit for the TL) it would require a lot of r&d(i would do a lot on my end if it becomes a reality) to do, but would be worth it in my opinion. Especially as the market is now seeing higher mileage TL's out there and are more affordable to the masses. Its an excellent chassis for this sort of thing.

If any of you have experience and a good amount of knowledge and are willing to help out, please step forward... We will need all the help we can get from everybody. All in favor say I?

if you guys are really interested in doing this, i will start a new thread just for this topic alone.

CJ
Hey CJ, if you are willing to take on this project, a lot of TLers here would BOW to you.

I'm definitely down to see this project get up and running! Therefore, I say, "AYE!!!!"
Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Instructor

im gonna do what i can. im making some calls today. if i can get a vendor to sign on for a production kit for the TL/accord im sure i can get doug@hondata involved. lets cross our fingers!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

*fingers are crossed*
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamXRSX

the second problem is what is handeling the tuning duties. i piggyback like that is nothing more than a bandaid. true engine managemnt(standalone) must be employed for maximum power and reliability. a AFC is not going to cut it. you ned to be able to have real control over ignition timing as well as fuel. but not by clamping the MAP sensor.

CJ

You'd be surprised how much this motor can handle. Here are a few pics of some turbo manifolds and motor in car. This car I'm not sure about yet, but looks like he did a pretty good job. Still waiting to see the outcome. His motor is pretty much the same platform as the 3rd gen TL. He's using the 3.0L. His manifold is pretty straight forward.

The car this manifold is in. Although this isn't a TL, duh, it is pretty cool and different. This mani obviously wouldn't work in a TL.

Here is a 2nd Gen CL members car, nopiguy, turbo'd automatic. A very nice install. The thread... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183034

Here's a j32 in another honda, a couple honda engineers did this one, don't know what happened with it.

Here's manifold that goes to a 2nd gen cl 6 speed.

Here's the motor the above manifold is on.

There are a couple more out there, but the point is, it's just a matter of time before someone turbo's one of your cars. It very similar to space constraints that the CL has. The heads are different as the stock exhaust manifolds are cast into the head, but the first manifold above has your type heads.

With regard to your statement about the injector size. 440's work fine and deliver 464 whp with 60ish pounds of fuel pressure at WOT, 10psi, with Aeromotive 1:1 reg & stock fuel lines. injector duty cycle is 65-70%. All science says that's not suppose to happen, but it does.

Emanage blue for the piggyback. Sure, the piggyback sucks and nothing is better than a stand alone, but for the money, it's worked fine.

http://www.mega-file.net/video/view....edd799d609d479

I'd like to see someone lead the charge on turbo for the 3rd gen TL, the space is there, one just has to be crafty enough. Are you the one?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThinJim
You'd be surprised how much this motor can handle. Here are a few pics of some turbo manifolds and motor in car. This car I'm not sure about yet, but looks like he did a pretty good job. Still waiting to see the outcome. His motor is pretty much the same platform as the 3rd gen TL. He's using the 3.0L. His manifold is pretty straight forward.

The car this manifold is in. Although this isn't a TL, duh, it is pretty cool and different. This mani obviously wouldn't work in a TL.

Here is a 2nd Gen CL members car, nopiguy, turbo'd automatic. A very nice install. The thread... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183034

Here's a j32 in another honda, a couple honda engineers did this one, don't know what happened with it.

Here's manifold that goes to a 2nd gen cl 6 speed.

Here's the motor the above manifold is on.

There are a couple more out there, but the point is, it's just a matter of time before someone turbo's one of your cars. It very similar to space constraints that the CL has. The heads are different as the stock exhaust manifolds are cast into the head, but the first manifold above has your type heads.

With regard to your statement about the injector size. 440's work fine and deliver 464 whp with 60ish pounds of fuel pressure at WOT, 10psi, with Aeromotive 1:1 reg & stock fuel lines. injector duty cycle is 65-70%. All science says that's not suppose to happen, but it does.

Emanage blue for the piggyback. Sure, the piggyback sucks and nothing is better than a stand alone, but for the money, it's worked fine.

http://www.mega-file.net/video/view....edd799d609d479

I'd like to see someone lead the charge on turbo for the 3rd gen TL, the space is there, one just has to be crafty enough. Are you the one?
I appreciate the pics regarding tuboed J32's! I understand your train of thought, but you must realize a few things. First of all, you'd be surprised what little it takes to destroy a turboed, high static compression, reciprocated, internal combustion engine. A good detonation event from running too lean or a decent pre-ignition event from over advanced ignition timing is all it takes. You must understand what a piggyback is doing EXACTLY to understand my school of thought. My training is extensive and internal combustion engine science is always the same, no matter what engine, no matter what setup...the science never changes. A AFC map clamp(piggyback is the layman's term for it) is not a good thing. If you don't know exactly what that is and what it does, I will be more than happy to explain.

About the fuel injectors. If you are using a boost sensitive 1:1 fpr, you can "stretch" a injectors head room by upping the static fuel pressure 1psi per every pound of boost. This counteracts the manifold pressure pushing back up on the opening of the injector as the manifold pressure rises from the boost. This is how we stretch smaller injectors out to keep duty cycle lower but still deliver enough fuel. What I was stating was a simple observation that a fpr was not listed in his parts list, which would mean that setup was probably using the stock returnless fuel system, high impedance rc injectors and no aftermarket boost sensitive 1:1 fpr or aftermarket fuel pump. This would mean that in order for the fuel system to be able to deliver enough fuel the injector size would typically need to be bigger than 550cc to counter act the static fuel pressure in the fuel rail in boost at anything over about 5-8 psi.

CJ

Quick Reply: **Official 3G Turbo TL Thread**