**Official 3G Turbo TL Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I believe the original poster and developer of the procats tried this.....threw and IMMEDIATE code as I remember. He tried a stage 2 setup they called it...and it didnt work. Code thrown.
The only way I can see that working is with a simulator to tell the ECU what it want to hear. Otherwise what Michael Benz said its been tried before and a code was thrown.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:28 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blk2001tlon19s
Here you go....

I'm not sure of the year ..but It's a new accord v6 6 speed ..he's getting a custom turbo kit...I'll post some more pics when I get them from him. His manifold goes join under the car similiar to Speedr73's setup. He's using the GT35R. If you want the complete mods list, let me know. I have that somewhere....lol
Yeh, you can email it to me, send on IM post it..anyway is cool with me. I know I wont be online alot this weekend because Im going out of town today for a wedding. ::
Old 06-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the original poster and developer of the procats tried this.....threw and IMMEDIATE code as I remember. He tried a stage 2 setup they called it...and it didnt work. Code thrown.
If I remember right, it was a code, but when he put it on the dyno it had lost power (alot). There was no where near enough back pressure for the motor to work properly. It may change if there is a turbo on the car.

I received a phone call from STS yesterday, giving me a call back from an email I had sent them. I think if more people where to show interest in the system, they would develop one for the TL. I think we could use most of the fuel management components that are used to get the Comptech SC to work with this turbo setup. With any luck, Hondata may be able to help out. The turbo they are using will be fully spooled between 2500-3000 rpms. The wastegate is setup at 5psi. They said it is possible to run a intercooler if you wish, it will drop the temp some more, but is not required to use the system.

Compared to the SC, this thing would be a whole lot more efficient. Under normal driving conditions, the gas mileage would be about the same. But when you wanted it, just lay into the pedal and it would be there. How great would it be to mess with those V8 heads out there on the highway with this car!! Not street racing, but toying with them. Take it to the track and have some real fun!!

Oh yea, and the pppssssttttt sound to go with it!!

Jason
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
OK...this sound promising.....and the ppppsssstttt sound sold me man!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Ryan Christopher

OK...this sound promising.....and the ppppsssstttt sound sold me man!
I am hoping we can get enough support, and a test car for them to work with if they would do it. They are located in Utah, in the Salt Lake are I believe. If we could get enough people that want something like this, they may just do it. It would keep us from having to hack at it and find a shop to do all the welding. The welder I have won't work very well for it. Just the idea of it gets me all excited.

To have it as a bolt on would save alot of time. The prices on there sigle turbo setups is in the 3500-4000 range. So right there with the SC, but alot better IMO.

So if you are interested, Click here , and let them know you would like to see a turbo developed for the TL. We will help them in anyway that we can.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by blk2001tlon19s
Here you go....
I'm not sure of the year ..but It's a new accord v6 6 speed ..he's getting a custom turbo kit...I'll post some more pics when I get them from him. His manifold goes join under the car similiar to Speedr73's setup. He's using the GT35R. If you want the complete mods list, let me know. I have that somewhere....lol
I just finished reading the thread on about the SingleTurboV6. Looks like good stuff. Got some other pics to work with...got some other ideas. Funny thing is that I really stopped posting over there after I traded my accord in for the TL. . Haven't even really thought much about it...Great site though
Old 06-08-2006, 09:48 AM

I would like to see this developed and some numbers before I was to say if I am interested or not. If it makes good numbers than a definate. After driving around with a few of my friends that have turbos the BOV's are starting to annoying to me. It sounds like the car has a cold. Sneezing. But on the other side I heard you can do more with a turbo and it puts out better numbers. I never owned a car with a turbo before, id like to see what comes from this. I need more power on this TL. After every mod I did, the car felt fast for 30min and then I got used to it and wanted more. MORE, MORE, MORE. I dont think this will ever stop.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I like to whistle in my

you know as far as the BOV sound. Most people vent into the atmosphere because they like the sound and to let everyone know they have a turbo. You do have the option of re-circulating to muffle the sound. Thats how most( if not all) factory turbo cars come. It is said that is also helps to keep the turbo spool consistent between shifts but you really would have to worry about this with an auto. Some people agree and disagree with this
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
you know as far as the BOV sound. Most people vent into the atmosphere because they like the sound and to let everyone know they have a turbo. You do have the option of re-circulating to muffler the sound. Thats how most( if not all) factory turbo cars come.
cant you remove the piece that makes that noise in the BOV?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
cant you remove the piece that makes that noise in the BOV?
The BOV makes that noise regardless. Its the sound of pressurized air being released through a small hole at a fast pace.LOL.( like when you fart.LOL.)..back on topic..haha..but most BOV's are made for the hose to over top of the piece/funnel that sticks out, people just dont put one on. Other have adapters like the HKS_SS.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 AM
I like to whistle in my

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1878/article.html
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Ryan Christopher

And truthfully, 5psi is not going to be all that load. If its on the back side of the car, you will hardly notice it. But yes you can recir. it back into the system and never hear it. If you like that type of thing. I want the pppsssstttt, until I get tired of it.

As for numbers, even under the same boost as the SC, the turbo would produce better #'s, given the A/F is correct. There is no parisitic loss like there is with a SC.
So big bonus!!! Now the problem is going to be the darn clutch on the 6MT!!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I like to whistle in my

5 psi is still enough to suprise and pull on a stock g35 and 5 series because I run about neck and neck with g35 and the 5series has a slight pull away
Old 06-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Ryan Christopher

5 psi is still enough to suprise and pull on a stock g35 and 5 series because I run about neck and neck with g35 and the 5series has a slight pull away
No, I meant the sound. Power wise, that would be huge for us. Some where in the 320 to 330 range at the wheels. "That would be great"
Old 06-09-2006, 07:22 AM
I like to whistle in my

O Ok. Yeh..definitely 300's, maybe slighty under to the crank. Guess its time to get on the ball and get it rolling
Old 06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Pro

Its been a week since anyone posted here. Any progress?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 AM
I like to whistle in my

Progress with me..no..just got back in town this week from a wedding in NC...this is my 3rd official day of summer vacay so the only thing i have been doing is chilling..of course while doing some design business on the side..I probably wont start buying parts/mock up material for at 3 to 4weeks...still haven't finished my carputer yet. As for anyone else..im not sure. Ive been trying to keep an eye on that single turbo set up on though....i know black99 has The pipes should fit in just fine for us too if they get some good results but that doesn't mean im holding out for them:P
Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Racer

I hope that you guys can configure a turbo setup for the TL. That would be crazy!!!! Because I have been trying to figure out whether to buy the supercharger or not. It is just so expensive for only 40-60 hp.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
I like to whistle in my

Yeh..after seeing someones video against that Turbo IS300 stage I kit...i was definitely sure i wasn't doing supercharger..unless it comes down to $2000. :bigLOL: haha but yeh..the IS300 was giving it too them...easy. Id rather spend the time,research and money on the possiblity of a turbo...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Yeh..after seeing someones video against that Turbo IS300 stage I kit...i was definitely sure i wasn't doing supercharger..unless it comes down to $2000. :bigLOL: haha but yeh..the IS300 was giving it too them...easy. Id rather spend the time,research and money on the possiblity of a turbo...
Hey I got the same car as AcuraDriver2006 (the one in the video against the turbo IS300) and we raced at the track and I beat him by the same amount that the IS300 did. He has some shitty tires on his car. With the addition with the procats you can get alot more out of the TL. Dont underestimate the supercharged TL, I smoked a turbo IS 300 before. I can put down good numbers with my boosted TL, better than anyone else on this site except one person RYAN97812, well he can drive his ass off. I guess it comes down to the driver.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I like to whistle in my

hhmmm..cool. I did forget about those factors..tires are a big deal. How much have you put into your car peformance wise?? I know the procats make a difference..the are an option on the kit im "so called" designing.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I've enjoyed following this thread...lots of good info and discussion...any update Meek? Or did you get stuck teaching "Summer School" like Mark Harmon?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I like to whistle in my

haha.not this year..Im actually making the transition from Elem to HS. Im going to be the new and first Computer Graphics teacher at the school so im pretty starting everything from scratch. Plus my side design business picking up and now some dental work that isn't covered by my Aetna dental plan that is going to cost my nearly 3K out the pocket...two build ups and crowns..among the other numerous projects im juggling...i honestly thought i was gonna chill and be able to focus on a project or two like this this summer too...boy was i wrong.lol
Old 07-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only if one of us had like 10k just chillin aruond somehwere ... we could pay someone to just borrow our TL for a few weeks, design a full turbo kit for the thing, and then return to us! How much do you think it'll cost for a prototype turbo kit to be made for our 3G TL ?

Sup Meek!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 PM
I like to whistle in my

Its really hard to say. Depends on the shop and the money. Labor fees are high and if its a well known shop, they already going to be working on other projects and cars so they would have your car sitting around for a while. Then if they dont think that they will get a lot of publicity from this...I dont see them really making it top priority...but again..money talks. The piping should take them all of a couple days. Its the engine management that they have to research.

Whats up Nick. Sorry I couldn't make it to the mini meet at your place. I wanna see your car in person. You got a lot done since the last time I saw it.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:02 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Just yesterday a guy completed/picked up his 7gen accord v6 6 speed turbo from a shop in PA. I believe the new Tl and the new accords have similar exhaust manifolds. He will be dynoing it next week and he's using the Garrett GT35R turbo.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Pro

Just yesterday a guy completed/picked up his 7gen accord v6 6 speed turbo from a shop in PA. I believe the new Tl and the new accords have similar exhaust manifolds. He will be dynoing it next week and he's using the Garrett GT35R turbo.
Where can I find out more about this?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
I like to whistle in my

its on .net. Yeh his setup looks pretty clean. wonder how much he spent on his. Didn't have his car for like 2.5 months...thats tough He used the Ultimate for his so guess that should be good for us
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Pro

what in the world is '.net.' ? I've never heard of it, and cant find it on yahoo or google-
Old 07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I like to whistle in my

haha...the mods deleted it.[my bad] but just check that other site that other people on here with accords/tl/cl etc.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

Interesting post up. Producing a turbo kit for the TL is both simple and complex.What are the 3 major areas of turbo charging a n/a car or any car for that matter? Air ,Fuel and dont forget Timing. Also with the turbo you will definitely need to determine where to tap for oil and determine the correct pressure to feed it.. As for piping I was thinking of something like the 95 maximas use. BTW, I don't own a TL however I'm contemplating getting one but I want to see what acura will do with the next gen. Possibly awd Anyhow, the maximas run something like a "y" pipe from the mani's into the turbo placed wherever there is room. Then run the rest of the piping from there. It's herd for me to describe but check out one of there sites. Do a quick search for it though. I have'nt been on those sites in over a year. Engine Management? I don't like piggy backs unless it's attached to a 4g63. Being that we are dealing with high compression, and would need the ability to control not only fuel but timing aswell, Standalone is the way to go. I like the SDS which gives the user complete control and inables you to add programs to operate alky,nos or something like vtec. I definitly believe the TL can be pumped for less than 10grand especially if you have the basic knowledge of a turbo system and do the work yourself. But the hard part of doing this will be the management system. wiring it in correctly without totally disabling the stock ecu for basic functions. Sounds like a manufacturer's service manual will be needed. I think 5psi would be alot for this car. It already pulls like it has 270 @ the wheels but we know it does'nt. Add 5 pounds of boost and this thing will haul ass for a loaded comfortable everyday driver. I have a few questions. What's the differece between the TL 3.2 and the Accord 3.2? Do we know the limitations of the bottom end on this engine? Can the heads be ported? Are there any cam upgrades for this engine in Accord or TL form? I don't know much but I know enough to get me going. Right now I'm completing a bunch of work done to my 89'Conquest. Those of you who know the car know it's like a bitch. No matter how much money you give her, she still wants more. I got a stage 3 engine,marnel head, ported and polish w/oversized ss valves,highlift cam, ceramic coated double ball bearing t3/t4 on tubed headers all I need now is multiport fuel system which will be going in sometime in fall. And I originaly bought this car for $500 bucks running. Enough about my P.O.S. I really hope you guys get this going. Check out some other sites for ideas. You know the guys in australia are turbocharging the hell out of the first gen LS400's....On stock compression!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear

Here's a couple sites to get ideas on how to route pipng for the install and to see what these guys are doing to there respectable rides.

http://www.maxima.org Look for info by Turbo95Max
http://www.lexetreme.com
Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I like to whistle in my

yeh, pretty hot find

http://www.lextreme.com/st.html
Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Advanced

does anyone know what size turbo they would use for this project? . i just got the new diesel power and they give some math formulas to figure out what size turbo would be good. i mean i could figure it out but if some one has allready thought about it i would like to know. i found a website that has some t3-t4, t4 turbos' for like 300 bucks, that sounds like a deal to me i thought they where like 700-800 for one.

what did everyone think about the greddy e-manage was that the favorite for the ecu part?

we're (my wife an i) seling are house and she wants a turbo in the tl. so i'm just trying to figure everything out, and put together a list of items needed for this porject.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I like to whistle in my

I believe it would be a GT35R. What trim on the wheel is up to you. I have read different ones for the TL and the accord on the other forum but i think ima go withthe same one as blk2001.. I think the ultimate would be the FMU to use. I also have been looking for similar turbos. the ones that you are probably seeing for 300 aren't BB turbos but still work. the BB turbos will run you 7-800 used and up to 1200 brand new if my memory is correct. What website were you lookin at the turbos on?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:04 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Originally Posted by baysic tl
does anyone know what size turbo they would use for this project? . i just got the new diesel power and they give some math formulas to figure out what size turbo would be good. i mean i could figure it out but if some one has allready thought about it i would like to know. i found a website that has some t3-t4, t4 turbos' for like 300 bucks, that sounds like a deal to me i thought they where like 700-800 for one.

what did everyone think about the greddy e-manage was that the favorite for the ecu part?

we're (my wife an i) seling are house and she wants a turbo in the tl. so i'm just trying to figure everything out, and put together a list of items needed for this porject.
t3/t4 turbos are going to be too small for a v6 and will die out near the redline. One of the turbo cl-s tried one and then swapped to a gt35r and made 70 more whp at the same psi. Level, a couple turbos that will work good is the Garrett GT35R or Precision's GT35R. The .84 turbine would probably be best also as a v6 shouldn't have a problem spooling it and it won't die at the redline. If the $1300 price tag is a little high, another turbo that could be used is the Precision SC61 which is basically the same as the GT35R except its not dual ball bearing so it will spool a little slower however they have the same compressor wheel and the turbine housing is similar. If you got the .68 turbine on that would, it would be nice. Both turbos are pretty nice.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Originally Posted by willmoodom
Interesting post up. Producing a turbo kit for the TL is both simple and complex.What are the 3 major areas of turbo charging a n/a car or any car for that matter? Air ,Fuel and dont forget Timing. Also with the turbo you will definitely need to determine where to tap for oil and determine the correct pressure to feed it.. As for piping I was thinking of something like the 95 maximas use. BTW, I don't own a TL however I'm contemplating getting one but I want to see what acura will do with the next gen. Possibly awd Anyhow, the maximas run something like a "y" pipe from the mani's into the turbo placed wherever there is room. Then run the rest of the piping from there. It's herd for me to describe but check out one of there sites. Do a quick search for it though. I have'nt been on those sites in over a year. Engine Management? I don't like piggy backs unless it's attached to a 4g63. Being that we are dealing with high compression, and would need the ability to control not only fuel but timing aswell, Standalone is the way to go. I like the SDS which gives the user complete control and inables you to add programs to operate alky,nos or something like vtec. I definitly believe the TL can be pumped for less than 10grand especially if you have the basic knowledge of a turbo system and do the work yourself. But the hard part of doing this will be the management system. wiring it in correctly without totally disabling the stock ecu for basic functions. Sounds like a manufacturer's service manual will be needed. I think 5psi would be alot for this car. It already pulls like it has 270 @ the wheels but we know it does'nt. Add 5 pounds of boost and this thing will haul ass for a loaded comfortable everyday driver. I have a few questions. What's the differece between the TL 3.2 and the Accord 3.2? Do we know the limitations of the bottom end on this engine? Can the heads be ported? Are there any cam upgrades for this engine in Accord or TL form? I don't know much but I know enough to get me going. Right now I'm completing a bunch of work done to my 89'Conquest. Those of you who know the car know it's like a bitch. No matter how much money you give her, she still wants more. I got a stage 3 engine,marnel head, ported and polish w/oversized ss valves,highlift cam, ceramic coated double ball bearing t3/t4 on tubed headers all I need now is multiport fuel system which will be going in sometime in fall. And I originaly bought this car for $500 bucks running. Enough about my P.O.S. I really hope you guys get this going. Check out some other sites for ideas. You know the guys in australia are turbocharging the hell out of the first gen LS400's....On stock compression!

There is currently 2 turbo 2gen tls, 4 turbo cl-s' and 2 turbo 7gen turbos(one single turbo and one twin turbo). All of which(not sure about the TT one) are running a piggyback without any problems. Since none of the standalone companies make an app for the tl/cl/accord, it would be a wiring headache not including how expensive they are on top of it. The accord is 3.0 and the TL is 3.2 also. Depending on what turbo is used, 5psi could make some good power but in that same token it can make little power. Depends on the indivduals goals, and wallet.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced

norcalautoistylez.com i put in my favorites so i would not lose the site i hope you find, i don't know how to link stuff yet.

now this piggy back system what is this? it's not like a hondata set up right more like
a greddy e-manage, correct? and the injectors you used are from a s2000, right?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I like to whistle in my

yeh the piggy would be like a emange or AFC which tricks the ECU into making the adjustments where as the standalone pretty much bullies its way in and says" You're gonna run like THIS!"..piggy back is usually accompanied by larger injectors and sometimes fuel rail, pump etc.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Originally Posted by baysic tl
norcalautoistylez.com i put in my favorites so i would not lose the site i hope you find, i don't know how to link stuff yet.

now this piggy back system what is this? it's not like a hondata set up right more like
a greddy e-manage, correct? and the injectors you used are from a s2000, right?

yeah, the s2000 injectors are 370cc and are a direct fit for the 00-03 cl/tl models however don't know about the newer model cars.

Quick Reply: **Official 3G Turbo TL Thread**