Yet another audio system thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another audio system thread...

I spent some time today at one of my local car audio shops. This place carries JL, Boston Acoustics, and Memphis speakers/amps and various head units.

My main goal is to make it loud and clear. Right now at 40 (max) the stereo is just not loud enough and really sounds terrible. I want it louder, but I also don't want to want to spend a fortune.

I eventually want to replace all my speakers except the center channel. I want to keep my stock HU (non-navi) and Hands-Free Link functionality. I haven't ever heard a DVD-A disc so I don't much care about that. The store manager has me leaning towards the smaller Memphis Belle 5-channel amp. He said that it is very conservatively rated. He also said in most 5-ch amps the sub channel is neutered and that is not the case in the Memphis 5-ch amps. I'm planning on some Boston RX67's that I've got for the rear deck. I'm going to get a single 10" sub in some sort of box for the trunk and remove the stock sub. I listened to a Memphis M1 in a box at the store. It sounded pretty darned good. The mgr said the box it's in is a specially ported box that has a) a square opening instead of a round port and b) some sort of "centrifugal V" interior baffle system. Basically there is a specific sound path inside the box. The guy said that even with money no object that M1/box combo is the best sounding 10" in his store. It's $350. The Memphis Belle amp is $650.

For the front I was initially thinking components (of course) but I heard a pair of Memphis speakers that sounded pretty darned good. The guy said they are just like components except that the tweeter is mounted to the main speaker rather than being separate. It's also on some sort of swivel and can be aimed where it needs to be. The guy explained the difference in timing between having the tweets mounted up high vs where the mids are. Would anyone suggest this setup or should I stick with a component setup? The Memphis 6.5's are $150.

So for those still with me and keeping score, that's $1150 in main hardware. For the whole kit to be installed, including all the other necessary equipment (LOCs, wiring, etc) I got a quote of $1650.

One note about the Memphis equipment. It all comes with a 3-yr warranty when purchased from an authorized seller. They don't have any internet sales outlets and won't warranty any equipment purchased outside of authorized sellers. The issue though is that the same Memphis Belle amp on ebay is less than $400. I'm sure the speakers are also available for considerably less. I know ebay is sometimes a crapshoot, but the equipment can be had for alot less than at the shop.

So my dilemma is do I pay the shop to do the work or do I buy the equipment and do the work myself? I've done a fair amount of car stereo installation, but I haven't done it in some years, and certainly not in a car as complicated as my TL.

I've read many of the threads on this forum and it seems as though the majority of people here have their systems installed by shops. For those that have can you comment on the installation costs? Do they seem in line with what I quoted above?

For those of you who have done the work yourself, was the process what you expected or was it more or less difficult? How much time should I budget overall. Can the install be done well without soldering? I suck at that.

The one other main question I have is using LOCs vs a CleanSweep/3Sixty solution. If using only LOCs should the wires be tapped before or after the stock amp? Also, when tapping the wires is there a harness available so I don't have to cut out the stock connectors? I'd like to be able to put all the stock equipment back in when I get rid of the car.

Sorry this thread got so long. I'm going to keep reading the forum for more info. I appreciate any/all advice you can give me here. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Wow that is a novel there brother. I got lost on many of the questions but IMO you should tackle the work yourself. One reason is because you know how to troubleshoot your own system better if something goes wrong down the line because you did the install yourself. And two is because it's much cheaper and you got braggin' rights after you've installed it succesfully.

I personally went with Diamond Audio for the two fronts and two rears. I have heard several other brands and this brand takes the cake for me. It's all preference but I wanted it clear and loud and so I am sold on Diamond Audios for my rear and Fronts. Take at listen and compare the Diamond Audio speakers and see if you like it. They run just a bit cheaper then those memphis 6.5's. And a little tip is that any dealer will tell you anything to get you to buy their stuff and not spend your money at their competetion. Go shop around and see what other dealers price you on and make your deal.

Now for the amp that you mentioned which I believe is "Memphis Belle" 16-MCH1300" That amp is huge but not only that expensive and not a very popular type of amp (not in Hawaii anyways). The way I look at it I could buy 3 alpine amps (1 for two rears and two fronts, a smaller amp for just the center or just keep the stock amp to run the center, and the 3rd amp to run sub(s) and I would come just as close to the price of that amp. Just my two cents of course. And by the way the Amps I am talking about is from Alpine, Kicker, etc... The more reputable brands.

I have not yet installed my system but I am in almost the same boat as you are. I love how the 3sixty.2 as far as functionaly goes but my problem is the 5.1 amplifier that I bought from alpine was not what I really wanted because no one told me that you have to have an aftermarket headunit to use it.... So now my install is at a halt. This is my first real install as well but I am sure with the help of this forum I won't have much of a problem. I already know what I want just waiting on this small bump to clear then my install with go on as planned.

Good luck on what you decide.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PowerCommander
Wow that is a novel there brother. I got lost on many of the questions but IMO you should tackle the work yourself. One reason is because you know how to troubleshoot your own system better if something goes wrong down the line because you did the install yourself. And two is because it's much cheaper and you got braggin' rights after you've installed it succesfully.

I personally went with Diamond Audio for the two fronts and two rears. I have heard several other brands and this brand takes the cake for me. It's all preference but I wanted it clear and loud and so I am sold on Diamond Audios for my rear and Fronts. Take at listen and compare the Diamond Audio speakers and see if you like it. They run just a bit cheaper then those memphis 6.5's. And a little tip is that any dealer will tell you anything to get you to buy their stuff and not spend your money at their competetion. Go shop around and see what other dealers price you on and make your deal.

Now for the amp that you mentioned which I believe is "Memphis Belle" 16-MCH1300" That amp is huge but not only that expensive and not a very popular type of amp (not in Hawaii anyways). The way I look at it I could buy 3 alpine amps (1 for two rears and two fronts, a smaller amp for just the center or just keep the stock amp to run the center, and the 3rd amp to run sub(s) and I would come just as close to the price of that amp. Just my two cents of course. And by the way the Amps I am talking about is from Alpine, Kicker, etc... The more reputable brands.

I have not yet installed my system but I am in almost the same boat as you are. I love how the 3sixty.2 as far as functionaly goes but my problem is the 5.1 amplifier that I bought from alpine was not what I really wanted because no one told me that you have to have an aftermarket headunit to use it.... So now my install is at a halt. This is my first real install as well but I am sure with the help of this forum I won't have much of a problem. I already know what I want just waiting on this small bump to clear then my install with go on as planned.

Good luck on what you decide.
Whoah!!! Did not realize I made it long. Just kept on typing what came to mind Lol. Oh wells you get a novel for a novel I suppose
Old 04-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

PC, thanks for the reply. I've not heard the Diamond Audios. I'll have to find a dealer around here who has them.

The Memphis amp is the Memphis Belle, but it's the smaller one, the MCH600. It's got a pretty small footprint. The guys says it basically combines 2 different Memphis amps in one chassis and is less expensive than buying the 2 separate. I'd also save on space and the cost of cabling for 2 amps. I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a single amp.

Of course the guy will try and sell me on what's in his shop. In the time I spent there he told me several times in several different ways that he doesn't carry any equipment he doesn't think is quality gear. There are a few other shops around. I guess I should go check out others as well.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

My initial post is pretty cumbersome. Here is a summary of my questions:

should I buy amp/amps and/or speakers online for ALOT less money, but no manufacturer warranty?

should I attempt install myself to try to save at least $300? How difficult is it? How much time should I expect it to take?

should I get components for fronts or would a really good coax setup work?

how much have others paid for install of whole system?

should I go with LOCs or a cleansweep/3sixty solution?

should the speaker wires be tapped before or after the factory amp?

are there any wiring harnesses available? I'd like to not cut my factory wires if I can help it. I can's solder very well.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

You mentioned the shop carries Boston. If you want an outstanding speaker, they make one. Memphis is a great company, but they are more entry level product. They make great amps and subs, though.

Personally, I would stick with the 6.5" separates for the front stage. For the rear, you can use the PSD (point source drivers) as their reffered to. Eclipse makes them as well.

I would also use the cleansweep or the 3sixty over the LOC's. They will help provide a better output voltage to your amps over just a line drop.

Good luck in your decision!