XM in our TL's no more?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down XM in our TL's no more?

Source: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...eet052606.aspx

XM Satellite's (XMSR, news, msgs) shares have lost almost half their value this year. This week the news got worse. The stock hit a multiyear low after XM fell behind rival Sirius in their two-way race for users -- and then tried to weasel out of responsibility for its poor performance.

"The satellite radio category has seen an overall softness at retail during the second quarter to date," CEO Hugh Panero claimed.

Yet the "overall softness at retail" somehow seems to have eluded Sirius, which promptly reaffirmed its own subscriber target.

Meanwhile, XM cautions that the going could get even rougher. "XM is currently working through regulatory and legal challenges," the company said Wednesday, "the resolution of which could affect future product availability and operating results, and require us to review this revised guidance."

Dumb-o-Meter score: 93. We can't wait to hear what excuse they cook up then.

For more on XM dumbness, click here.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess that before XM went belly up, they would probably be bought out by Sirius at a rock bottom price.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

...Or by someone else. The birds are sunk investment, no matter how strange it sounds for things flying in the outer space Investors will eat the losses, and new operators will get a fresh start without hude capital inlay.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:30 PM
2016 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... DVD-Audio seems to be a dying format; we're having some bad luck. I expect XM to stay alive, though.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't see XM disappearing. Sirius making a play seems quite plausible; however, the question there is whether that would pass regulatory muster--namely anti-trust rules.

And DVD-A seems to be in dire straits, too. That really is unfortunate; I love it.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

XM should survive...but if they don't, I would think it to be up to Acura to provide an upgrade path to Serius or another satellite provider. An interesting fact is that Hi Def radio is already here and would be really cool BUT it still has those nasty commercials and limited range. DVD-A is really the best in terms of audio quality...but the discs are expensive and cumbersome. If you have a chance to listen to DTS discs they are amazing...same with DVD-A. I hope it lives a bit longer. The next thing will be full-on automotive audio servers with xx terabyte drives...why not?? My brother already has a hard drive based audio system in his car...and not just a iPod (which are also pretty useful)...nothing is free is it?