XM Navtraffic Hardware in Canadian TL Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
XM Navtraffic Hardware in Canadian TL Type-S?

I want to get either the iSimple ISHD651 or the ISHD571 (with SBT21 Bluetooth Kit & possibly the PGHHD2C harness) so I can stream music from my iPhone via bluetooth and have the text display on the OEM radio screen, and my choice depends on if my car (I have an '08 Type-S) has the hardware in it for XM Navtraffic.

I've done a lot of searches here and elsewhere on the web, and I have yet to find a definitive answer whether or not the Canadian version of the TL-S has the hardware for XM Navtraffic or not.

I know that the service is not available in Canada, and I can't see anywhere in the navigation settings in my car to enable Navtraffic, so I know the software doesn't support XM Navtraffic.

Does anyone know if the Canadian TL Type-S has XM Navtraffic hardware in it?
Old 12-13-2014, 05:40 PM
WDP Group!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
as far as i know they don't, as i had ordered a USA Spec unit with nag traffic on it, and the plugs were totally different then what was in my car, i also have a 08 type s and live in ontario

i have yet to find one that seems to work,
The following users liked this post:
garrettdigital (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info. That's the first time I've read anyone actually trying and confirming that the connections are different which means that we definitely don't have the Navtraffic hardware.

@Nyordrms, have you tried other solutions besides the USA Spec?

I contacted iSimple support and they said I "should not need the PGHHD2C combination" (for navtraffic). They also said that "the normal Gateway (ISHD571) or connect ( ISHD651) should be fine."

It worries me a bit that they don't seem to be sure that they will work in my car. I'm hoping I can use the ISHD651 now that I have the answer to the Navtraffic question.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:29 AM
WDP Group!

I've tried the ISHD571 and 651, and they both didn't seem to work, the 571 didn't work at all, the 651 worked but was glitchy,
garrettdigital (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by garrettdigital
I want to get either the iSimple ISHD651 or the ISHD571 (with SBT21 Bluetooth Kit & possibly the PGHHD2C harness) so I can stream music from my iPhone via bluetooth and have the text display on the OEM radio screen, and my choice depends on if my car (I have an '08 Type-S) has the hardware in it for XM Navtraffic.

I've done a lot of searches here and elsewhere on the web, and I have yet to find a definitive answer whether or not the Canadian version of the TL-S has the hardware for XM Navtraffic or not.

I know that the service is not available in Canada, and I can't see anywhere in the navigation settings in my car to enable Navtraffic, so I know the software doesn't support XM Navtraffic.

Does anyone know if the Canadian TL Type-S has XM Navtraffic hardware in it?
There's no solution to having txt display in Canadian TL. I've hunted high and low myself, so if by some miracle someone finds a way then please share. Highly doubt it though.

I've resorted to modding the car, I'll install a Nexus 7 in the dash when summer comes to palliate to this issue.

Edit: Also iSimple aren't sure because they don't deal with Canadian TLs usually. If you look around the net most vendors aren't aware of the differences between US & CA TLs.
garrettdigital (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

Well that is disappointing to hear that the ISHD651 was glitchy.

This is also the first time I've heard that there's no solution for text display in a Canadian TL.

Thanks Nyordrms and polobunny. Input from both of you has probably saved me from wasting some money.

I guess it's time to start looking at a completely different solution.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:57 PM
WDP Group!

yah I've pretty much given up on trying to find one that works in my car, i see numerous can tl's that have an simple in there car but most are 04-06,

so not sure if there is something different between them or what, but I've already wasted to much money trying a couple of them, not interested in "trying" another one, if i find one i wanna know it works 100%