Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it?

So I have a six-speed, '05 Acura TL sedan with the factory head unit (non-navi). I'm currently enrolled in school for automotive, and truth be told - I'm not a huge fan of electrical.

I just recently picked up my car, and I've been putting together a list of mods that I'd look into doing. I'm wondering if it's worth doing a head unit install in this car. I'm looking to go with something flat screen, maybe with navigation included. I know this job would probably be a pain in the ass, and I'm not looking to do a lot of hacking and chopping. I'm also not sure if a place like Best Buy would do this if I were to bring it to them.

Any input?

Thank you!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
A HU is kinda a big deal on this car. It ends up low since there is no room behind the lcd displays. You end up with a dead screen with the factory radio gone. I think it looks kinda ghetto. The navi cars look better with the two screens, but still odd.

Best bet is to do a tablet integration. You relocate the hvac screen to where the clock is, and the radio to where one of the center pockets is. Then you end up with touch screen nav where it should be in the center stack.

FWIW best buy might be able to put in amps, replacement speakers or a sub, but I would n't trust them to any of the stuff like HU replacement, or tablet integration. If you're not up to it yourself, I'd find a shop that specializes in that sort of stuff.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
A HU is kinda a big deal on this car. It ends up low since there is no room behind the lcd displays. You end up with a dead screen with the factory radio gone. I think it looks kinda ghetto. The navi cars look better with the two screens, but still odd.

Best bet is to do a tablet integration. You relocate the hvac screen to where the clock is, and the radio to where one of the center pockets is. Then you end up with touch screen nav where it should be in the center stack.

FWIW best buy might be able to put in amps, replacement speakers or a sub, but I would n't trust them to any of the stuff like HU replacement, or tablet integration. If you're not up to it yourself, I'd find a shop that specializes in that sort of stuff.
Hmmm, sounds pricey. I'll have to look into it. I think I may just go with a sub and an amp.