William's 2004 TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:26 AM
JKJ
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Really nice, it is clean and uncluttered. Looks like original factory setup with closed (MP3 units). No one would say you had done anything to it if they saw your car in a parking lot... nice.

curious: do all the MP3 units play through the car speakers? if so which one goverens.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JKJ
curious: do all the MP3 units play through the car speakers? if so which one goverens.
I can play MP3 songs either from the Dension Hard Drive MP3 player or the NECVOX DVD/MP3 changer. Everything plays through the stock speakers. There are a few toggle switches on the dash (not shown in the pictures) that lets me switch between the various source units.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Did they not ground the safety wire so that you can watch the DVD while you drive.. I am getting the Tuner in the mail soon, but I was wondering about the install with the safety ground...
Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

hey Weeg,

My Navi/Tuner is in the mail, and i am trying to figure out where to put the Navi/tuner box, I saw your set up, and its very clean and nice, i like that set up, so please if you can give me some pointers on that thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Racer

Where did you get the digital speedo?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:42 PM
100k miles club

hey weeg,
that's looks awesome. i would like to know what shop you got this done at? i'm in southern cali too so i may drive to that shop you went. also how much for the install and who do i talk to? if you want you can pm, thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Weeg,

Great Job. Real Classy! I too am in So Cal. I have the same questions as the previous post. If you don't mind divulging, how much did this set up run you and where did you buy most of the parts? Did "SoundsGood" get eveything for you and if so will they entertain new clients?

Can PM if preferred as well.

HMDSC
Old 05-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

more info?

1. What is that in picture t113? A digital speedometer? Who makes it? What does it hook into? Who makes it?

2. I see the Denison mp3 player in several locations in the car. Is that a separate player in each location? Or do you have mounting connections in each location? How you choose which one plays?

Here's the link to the Denison mp3 player:
http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=48&topid=42
Old 05-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

that has got to be on of the cleanst installs i have seen, hats off my man
Old 05-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Racer

hey by the way can u hook up a ps2 to that nav screen ...if you can can sum1 walk me through it
Old 05-24-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro

Hey weeg, Just curious how much was it for all your goodies. thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Hi, rescueswimmer, you could find more info if a little search could be processed... :o

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=39

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67879
Old 06-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Navi to DVD conversion

I have a 2004 Honda Accord with navigation. I also bought the avelectronic unit and have tried to install this. OK, this is pissing me off. For three nights in a row, I've tried to hook up this adapter from avelectronic. This is what keeps on happening. I have powered the unit with the red wire going to one of the wires to the cigarette lighter and the black wire grounded. The unit powers on then. This is without the wire marked "To Navigation Unit" hooked up to the back of the navigation unit. In other words, both the male and female ends are NOT hooked up to the back of the navigation unit. When I do try to hook them up according to the directions to the 20 pin connector (with only 12 pins in use), I get nothing. The unit doesn't not power on. What's going on? How is everyone grounding the black wire? Does the yellow wire (brake wire or the -12V wire) have to be hooked up at all when the male and female wires are hooked up? I have powered the unit before without connecting the yellow wire. Can anyone help me?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Racer

why would you possibly need a 160gb mp3 harddrive. isnt that big enough to hold like 72,000 songs? am i doing the math right? the little portable one i am about to buy is 20gb and holds 9,000 songs. i dont think 72,000 songs exist, let alone of the generes of music you like. also, do you ever use your cd changer to play mp3? this is something i am very interested in. i have about a 700 cd collection on about 30 in mp3 format that i play through my panasonic 7200 tv. are these cds gonna play through your unit? they are in one main folder, than each cd is in a sub folder. so i guess the cd changer would have to know to open the main folder and then let me page through the sub folders? will this work? if your not sure, i would like to mail you one and let you tell me. because i wanna buy this piece.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I have a 2004 Honda Accord with navigation. I also bought the avelectronic unit and have tried to install this. OK, this is pissing me off. For three nights in a row, I've tried to hook up this adapter from avelectronic. This is what keeps on happening. I have powered the unit with the red wire going to one of the wires to the cigarette lighter and the black wire grounded. The unit powers on then. This is without the wire marked "To Navigation Unit" hooked up to the back of the navigation unit. In other words, both the male and female ends are NOT hooked up to the back of the navigation unit. When I do try to hook them up according to the directions to the 20 pin connector (with only 12 pins in use), I get nothing. The unit doesn't not power on. What's going on? How is everyone grounding the black wire? Does the yellow wire (brake wire or the -12V wire) have to be hooked up at all when the male and female wires are hooked up? I have powered the unit before without connecting the yellow wire. Can anyone help me?
Just connect the yellow wire to the ground wire and that should fix your problem. Also make sure you are putting the pins in the right slots on the factory connector (the ones that say "this side up, top row" and "bottom row")
Old 06-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Racer

i would like the opinion of the guys from street effectz on this set up. they did some of the best a/v work on the last years body style tl that ive ever seen. im sure they have/will do some crazy stuff with the new style tl. i am definitly getting a 04 or 05 tl with navi as oppose to my 03 without and this opens me up to soooooooo much more as far as a/v is concerned. i want to look at all options and i know if theres an option to do to this set up, the guys streeteffectz know about it.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Navi DVD conversion

Streeteffectz, I did that (connect the yellow wire (brake wire) to the black wire, which is the ground), but the damn thing won't power up. I think my problem is that I can't find a good ground. I don't want to sand down any metal or anything because I'm worried about rust, even if I put on rust inhibitor. I tried to undue one of those bolts that hold the seat belts in place, but to no avail. The bolts are air tightened.

And let me get this straight about the wiring harness and the male-female pin connections. I took out the 20 pin connector that was already in place in the factory navigation contol unit in the trunk. I then took the other 20 pin connector (from the TV tuner) and plugged that into the back of the navigation unit. That was the female end right? I looked at the orientation of the female 20 pin connector. On the bottom of the connector it is pretty flat, but on the top, there are grooves in it to where this fits into the back of the navigation control unit, right? So the grooves are considered the "top" right? The female connector only fits one way. I plugged in everything correctly and the TV tuner won't power up. It always happens when I plug in the 20 pin connectors. Like I said, I think my problem is that I can't get a good ground. Where did everyone else ground their TV tuner?

Do I need to connect the yellow wire to the black (ground) wire in order to complete a circuit?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Navi to DVD Conversion

I was just informed my Sam at avelectronic that the unit is set to default power off. In other words, even though the red (+12V power) wire, the yellow (-12V power) brake wire, and black (ground) wires were installed, the green power light on the TV tuner would not light up. I guess I have to take the remote control and press the "On" button on the remote control (while the car is on) in order to turn the unit on. I did not know this and got very frustrated that I got a bad unit. I'm going to take it back to Best Buy to have it installed, and hopefully, it will work.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Audio help!

I just purchased the AV switcher unit and have everything hooked up, but cant get any sound. Can someone please shed some light on how I go about getting sound out of my unit...what wires or modifications have to be made...

Thank you,
Mike

<< PICS COMING SOON >>
Old 07-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Navi to DVD Conversion

I used an FM modulator until I can't get something better. In the future, maybe I'll add a switch so that I can get sound through the back of the head unit instead of being FM modulated. Did you hook up an FM modulator?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Instructor

haven't hooked anything up yet for the sound...was thinking of going with a FM modulator for now also. How's the sound quality?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

I'm trying to do the video-navi conversion on my 04' TL. I like the avelectronics one as it has an svideo input, and I plan to hook up my laptop (which has an svideo out) to the thing.

I will be having a shop here in Toronto (Kromer) install it most likely. But I have a couple questions.

How does the sound hook up? Do I need another device (FM modulator)? They sell a blitzsafe adapter for Acura models, but i don't know what that is or if i should be getting that along with my unit.

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:31 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All i have gathered so far on the audio part is that if you get an FM modulator, its jus gonna transmit the sound in FM waves, and you have to set up your audio system to a specific frequency to pick up the signal and the sound should come out frm ur regular speakers, jus like it does when ur playing music on some FM channel. But if you connect it through XM radio, you are going to get stereo sound which is much better and clearer. So far im jus doin the homework to see what works for my car and how to go about it.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Advanced

there is a discussion going on in the a/v section about hooking up a aux input through four wires that feed the head unit from xm. still trying to confirm which wires are for what but basically you would just splice into the wires with a switch and two line level adapters(rca inputs).
Old 07-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Does adding the dvd kit to play movies void your cars warranty?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:59 AM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
Does adding the dvd kit to play movies void your cars warranty?
only the navi's warranty
Old 07-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Love my TL

Are you sure the plug and play system from avelectronics voids your navigation warranty? I was under the assumption that since no wires are cut you are OK.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

AUX Input from AVelectronic unit

I think that what I might try to get my installer to do is to add a DPDT switch to the spliced XM wires. In other words, if I flip the switch one way, it will play XM radio. If I flip the switch the other way, it will complete the circuit from the avelectronic unit to the switch to the XM radio input (but no XM radio) to the headunit to the speakers. Has anyone tried this before? What about a wiring diagram?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Anybody that had this installed, what did it end up costing?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Why not route the XM through the AVelectronics unit? Say AV4 for the XM output, and then hook the AVelectronics box to the headunit input for the XM. You can have your other sources on AV1, AV2, & AV3. This combination just eliminates watching a DVD video and listenting to XM. More than likely you would want to watch and listen to the DVD.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Deleting XM radio

I have the avelectronic TV tuner, and I have not thought about that. I still want the XM radio though. Is there a way to install the SHOND3 adapter to the aux input (where the XM radio adapter is currently hooked up to in my 2004 Accord EX V6), hook up the sound output for the avelectronic TV tuner to the SHOND3 adapter, and then hook up the factory XM radio to the avelectronic TV tuner unit so that I can still listen to the XM radio? What would need to be done (purchased) in order to make this happen?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Here is what I am thinking ... I don't have the parts in front of me so bare with me:

XM output -> ------------------
TV output -> | AVelectronics | -> Head Unit XM input
??............ -> -------------------

The above is based on Audio switching only. My understanding is you can run any RCA input into the factory XM input. You might need a level converter, but the AVelectronics could do the switching for you and it would work through a remote instead of a manual switch.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:17 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

That might work...

That might work. So what you're saying is that a video source, such as my DVD player, could be connected, along with the XM radio, to the audio and video inputs to the avelectronic TV tuner. That would work, but I would need two adapter in order to make this work. I would need one adapter (I think the SHOND3 adapter unit) to hook up the left and right audio channels from the sound output of the TV tuner to the adapter, and then the adapter to the input where the XM radio was previously hooked up to. I would also need an adapter to hook up the XM radio to the TV tuner. I know they make an adapter to go from the TV tuner to the headunit (where the XM radio was), but I do not know if they make a reverse adapter so that you can hook up the XM radio plug into RCA cables. Do you know if they do that? If so, then I'm all for it! Let me know.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Weeeg, are you still around?

Send me a PM or email me at weeeg AT whipstaff DOT com.

I live in Simi and would love to see your car sometime.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Racer

no one answered my last question, but hey. heres another. if your driving, watching a dvd in your dvd player, and you get to your destination and turn the car off. when you turn the car back on. what happens. does the movie start playing automatically from where you left off, or do you have to find your spot all over again, or what? thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Acurazine Addict

Wow. One of the cleanest installs I've seen yet. Very creative.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Originally Posted by superballs
no one answered my last question, but hey. heres another. if your driving, watching a dvd in your dvd player, and you get to your destination and turn the car off. when you turn the car back on. what happens. does the movie start playing automatically from where you left off, or do you have to find your spot all over again, or what? thanks

It depends on the DVD Player. Some will remember where it left off, others won't. You'll just have to figure out before purchasing.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by superballs
The dvd player I use will start where it left off. I bought the single dvd player from avelectronics. I paid about $220 for it.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Racer

isnt avelectronics the place that sells that 10 disc dvd/cd/mp3 changer? how much is that? does this player have the automatic restart function im speaking of?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Racer

The one they carry is in the $500 range. I might purchase one of those to hold mp3's and movies that I really like that I don't want to change that often. Not sure on the feature about automatic restart.

Quick Reply: William's 2004 TL