William's 2004 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Woodstock
Does that mean that you switch between XM and AUX with the aftermarket remote unit (i.e. set up the TL to be XM, then switch "which" input you want on the XM channel?).
I switch between the XM and AUX using a cheap toggle switch mounted near the remote mirror joystick.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by weeeg
I switch between the XM and AUX using a cheap toggle switch mounted near the remote mirror joystick.
And then when it's in AUX, you can switch using the remote that came with the switcher between all the DVD, MP3 stuff? What about the back up camera? Does the TL have to be in "XM" mode, the XM/AUX in "AUX" before putting it in reverse will show the camera picture?

Sorry for the long-ish question, I'm just trying to get a feel for how the TL systems and the aftermarket ones play together.

thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Re: How do you like the Abyss?

Originally posted by mdxer
weeeg,

Great install.

I am a day or so away from putting a deposit down on an Abyss. I've never seen one in person. Do you still like it as much as when you first got it?

Also thinking about that 2005 RL. Need a car in the interim as my lease is up in April. Any info not already posted here?

Thanks
Well, I still like the COLOR as much as when I first got it, but not the car in general. The 2004TL easily sets the record for the world's slowest car that has over 269 HP. Also, there is no excuse for the amount of rattles that this car has. The stereo shop fixed a few for me, but there are just so many I think I'm going to give up.

Maybe I'll sell the car and replace it with a 2005 RL or the new 2005 Cadillac.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Instructor

And then when it's in AUX, you can switch using the remote that came with the switcher between all the DVD, MP3 stuff?
Yep, exactly.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Instructor

What about the back up camera? Does the TL have to be in "XM" mode, the XM/AUX in "AUX" before putting it in reverse will show the camera picture?
The backup camera appears on the center screen whenever I put the car into reverse. The TV Tuner/switcher doesn't even have to be turned on, and the XM/AUX can be in either position. I think the screen has to be in "navigation" mode though, I'm not sure.

I can switch to the backup camera manually at any time by using the sequence you mentioned above.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Yep, exactly.
It's a shame that Acura didn't put in an AUX directly that could be hooked up to mp3 players and whatever. Seems like a pretty obvious oversight.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Instructor

WARNING: The AVElectronics TV Tuner/Switcher box turns itself off everytime you turn off the car. Next time you start the car it will still be off. It will not pass any audio signals when it is off.

I had my MP3 player fed into one of the inputs of the AVElectronics box and HATED having to hunt for the infrared remote and turn the thing on EVERYTIME I started my car.

I've since added a 2nd AUX-IN to my car just for the MP3 player, since it is what I most often listen too.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Instructor

WARNING: The AVElectronics TV Tuner/Switcher box turns itself off everytime you turn off the car. Next time you start the car it will still be off. It will not pass any audio signals when it is off.

I had my MP3 player fed into one of the inputs of the AVElectronics box and HATED having to hunt for the infrared remote and turn the thing on EVERYTIME I started my car.

I've since added a 2nd AUX-IN to my car just for the MP3 player, since it is what I most often listen too.
Good idea. Probably a function of the "soft" power switches on the avelectorics unit once it's deprived of power.

One other question, did you have any reservations going to the stereo shop and having them do all this tearing apart of the TL and it's electronics? I'd just be nervous they'd screw something up on a new (and still under warrenty) car. :wow:

Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

Weeeg,

The install looks great, as I posted previously.
You mention in a recent post about all the rattles in the TL. One of my reservations about taking the car apart is just that, its not going back together without rattles.

Where the rattles always there, or did they come AFTER the installation work?

Without seeing any visible screws, I have to believe the interior is held together with clips and/or industrial adhesives (glue). Once taken apart, they may never go back quite the same. Is this true?

I've ordered the service manual about a week ago, so hopefully I'll have it soon and can look at the disassembly info.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Instructor

One other question, did you have any reservations going to the stereo shop and having them do all this tearing apart of the TL and it's electronics? I'd just be nervous they'd screw something up on a new (and still under warrenty) car. :wow:

Maybe it's just me.
Good question. Normally, yes, I'd have reservations, but this same shop did a beautiful job on my '99 Corvette so I wasn't so worried.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by technogeek
You mention in a recent post about all the rattles in the TL. One of my reservations about taking the car apart is just that, its not going back together without rattles.

Where the rattles always there, or did they come AFTER the installation work?
The rattles were there before I ever took it to the stereo shop. I've seen a few posts on this board about how to cure *some* of the rattles, but I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

how much did the labor for installation cost?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

very nice.... did you use an aftermarket amp? If so, do you know, or does your installer know, where the remote switch-on wire is and what color?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Did you upgrade any of the other stereo equipment? Speakers, Amp, etc?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:14 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

hey weeg,

can u pls let me know how ur local shop was able to tap into the xm to get aux in? i just got 2 screens installed but right now its using fm mod and the sound sucks, i can hear static.. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
can u pls let me know how ur local shop was able to tap into the xm to get aux in? i just got 2 screens installed but right now its using fm mod and the sound sucks, i can hear static.. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I wish I could help, but I really have no idea exactly what they did.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Weeeg,

Did you make any modifications to the amp or speakers?
Have you done any research on the replacement of these items.
I understand that there is some concern about changing the speakers as this may be an equalized system, meaning that the current speakers are matched to the frequency response curve of the amplifier. Any help you could give me on the replacement of the Amp or speakers would be greatly appreciated. If you know of any shops that have worked on the speaker or amp systems of the '04 TL could please let me know about them?

When I get my '04 TL, I will change the speakers as soon as possible.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Lastdra900n

damn thats nice, are there any problems as in the car not starting? or rough starts?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TL-Rocket
Did you make any modifications to the amp or speakers?
Have you done any research on the replacement of these items.
I understand that there is some concern about changing the speakers as this may be an equalized system, meaning that the current speakers are matched to the frequency response curve of the amplifier. Any help you could give me on the replacement of the Amp or speakers would be greatly appreciated. If you know of any shops that have worked on the speaker or amp systems of the '04 TL could please let me know about them?

When I get my '04 TL, I will change the speakers as soon as possible.
I didn't make any amp or speaker changes yet, although I'd like to. The stock amps & speakers don't sound very good IMO.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lastdra900n
damn thats nice, are there any problems as in the car not starting? or rough starts?
Nope, none that I've noticed anyway.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Re: William's 2004 TL

The stereo install on my 2004 Acura TL is finally finished. I've added a 160GB hard-drive based MP3 player, TV Tuner, 10 disc DVD changer, rearview camera, and digital speedo. Here's the photos...

You can view the photos here:
http://discoball.com/acuratl/

You can download all the photos here:
http://discoball.com/acuratl.zip

I just bought the same system from avelectronic. Where did you mount the nav switcher unit. I saw one install of one in the trunk but the wire to the navi plug is only a foot or so long.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: William's 2004 TL

Originally posted by TLaskin
I just bought the same system from avelectronic. Where did you mount the nav switcher unit. I saw one install of one in the trunk but the wire to the navi plug is only a foot or so long.
It's mounted in the right rear fender, near the Nav computer.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Advanced

Are they coming out with an 05 RL that looks more like the TL?

Peeze out!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: William's 2004 TL

It's mounted in the right rear fender, near the Nav computer.
So you extended the cables that came with the unit to go all the way to the front? Or did you plug it in to the Navi DVD player? Did you have a shop do this or did you do it?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: William's 2004 TL

Originally posted by TLaskin
So you extended the cables that came with the unit to go all the way to the front? Or did you plug it in to the Navi DVD player? Did you have a shop do this or did you do it?
I had a shop do it. They just plugged it into the Navi DVD player.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Hey nice setup you got there!

Is your navi still usable? if so how do u switch between the two?

Sorry im not familiar with the navi on the 04 TL, (i'm buying one next month hopefully). Is the navi touch screen?

And how much did all that run you?

Thanks!
- Najeeb
Old 03-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Instructor

Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 08:04 PM
GO TIME

weeeg,

I like the setup. How is the reception with that TV tuner because I was going to purchase one from that website. Is it clear when the reception comes in and is the picture consistant? What I mean is if you are say watching a show how long until the pic gets fuzzy.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

weeeg,

Sorry, I stole your pics to the forum because I like to install the rear-view camera, too.

I hope you don't mind. Any inside info for how to install that camera? I try to hide it better. Do you think that camera is hard to maintain?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by iLLeGaLaKKoRd
Is your navi still usable? if so how do u switch between the two?
The factory navigation is still fully operational. There's a toggle switch that I use to switch back and forth between the navigation screen and the video screen.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SHINY TL-13
weeeg,

I like the setup. How is the reception with that TV tuner because I was going to purchase one from that website. Is it clear when the reception comes in and is the picture consistant? What I mean is if you are say watching a show how long until the pic gets fuzzy.
The reception where I live (near Los Angeles) is pretty bad. It cuts in and out constantly while the car is moving. When the car is parked it can look pretty good though.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rets
weeeg,

Sorry, I stole your pics to the forum because I like to install the rear-view camera, too.

I hope you don't mind. Any inside info for how to install that camera? I try to hide it better. Do you think that camera is hard to maintain?

Thanks.
I really don't know of any way to hide it better. No one would ever see it on my car. It is only visible in the photo because I was almost on the ground with the digital camera while taking the picture. There is no way in the world you would ever see it if you were standing up and looking at my car.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:30 PM
All about JDM

Looks incredible!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:18 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weeeg
Well, I still like the COLOR as much as when I first got it, but not the car in general. The 2004TL easily sets the record for the world's slowest car that has over 269 HP. Also, there is no excuse for the amount of rattles that this car has. The stereo shop fixed a few for me, but there are just so many I think I'm going to give up.

Maybe I'll sell the car and replace it with a 2005 RL or the new 2005 Cadillac.

would you take all your MP3 equipment/camera out of your car if you sell it?
or you don't think it's worth it, since it will add value to it.

I always wonder about that, since it takes work to uninstall all the gear...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Does your TV/DVD operation work while the car is in DRIVE or in gear? I noticed that they supply a wire to hook into the parking brake that you are "SUPPOSED" to install so that the screen only shows TV/DVD etc when you are in park!?! did the shop u hired install that or bypass the parking brake/park feature? Please let me know..i have one on order!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
Does your TV/DVD operation work while the car is in DRIVE or in gear? I noticed that they supply a wire to hook into the parking brake that you are "SUPPOSED" to install so that the screen only shows TV/DVD etc when you are in park!?! did the shop u hired install that or bypass the parking brake/park feature? Please let me know..i have one on order!

Hooking up that wire is optional. The shop that did my car didn't hook it up (as per my request). The TV & DVD work just fine while I drive, so if my passengers care to watch something they are free to do so. As the driver, I choose to keep my eyes on the road.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
weeeg,

I really like to get rear-view camera as you have done on your car, but just cannot find the satisfying product to put on my car so far. Do you have any clear/detailed insight news for me? I'd really like to make it happen.

Otherwise, besides ending up with 05/06 possible camera installation, I may end up with Back up sensor...

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Racer

thanks weeeg!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Racer

OH AND BTW, since the Blitzsafe adapter is not available for the 04 TL, how did the shop u had install do the sound for your DVD player? Did they FM modulate it? How does it sound?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
OH AND BTW, since the Blitzsafe adapter is not available for the 04 TL, how did the shop u had install do the sound for your DVD player? Did they FM modulate it? How does it sound?

I bought the Soundgate adapter (for the 2003 Honda Accord), but it didn't work. The shop ended up using a bunch of relays and a toggle switch and tapped into the XM Radio preamp wires that run from the trunk up to the factory headunit. It sounds really good (considering I'm still using the factory amp & speakers). FM modulation would probably have sounded pretty bad.

Quick Reply: William's 2004 TL