William's 2004 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Majorhouse
Very sweet install. Thanks for letting us know that it isn't too difficult to install a TV tuner using the NAV screen.

Pardon my stupidity with the dumb questions, but...

Do you have some sort of A/B switch for the TV/DVD player?

Does the NAV still work?

How much was the total?

The TV tuner has a built-in A/V switcher that has many inputs. I use an infrared remote to control the TV Tuner & A/V switcher. The infrared receiver is hidden inside the air conditioning vent above the screen.

The NAV still works fine and the NAV voice will still interrupt the MP3 music/TV audio/movie audio.

The rear view camera turns on automatically when the car is put into reverse.

The total was over $5K, but I did a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't do if they were copying my system. Trust me, it can be done for a lot less.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Davediego
if you PROPERLY ENCODE your mp3's they will be virtually identical in sound quality to a CD. most 128kbit mp3's sound like radio quality. most any song will be fine with 192kbit encoding to have it sound just as good as a cd. you can go all the way up to 384kbit i believe if you really want, but thats overkill. mp3pro does an even better job...

I've got such a large hard drive (160 GB) in the car that I just encode everything at 320kbps. It sounds great, and so much better than XM (which is something like 80kbps).
Old 12-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by need4spd
BTW, the amp for the ELS is located in the pass side kick panel.

XM reciever is located in trunk, pass side above rear wheel.

Yep, XM receiver is in the trunk.
HINT: tap into the XM wires that feed the head unit if you want an AUX-IN input. Don't waste your time with FM Modulation.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by nickpoore
Hey Weeg.

Great mods - I'd love to see it in person. (I work in Woodland Hills; can I buy you lunch sometime.. <G>)

Anyway, question on the rear-view monitor.
I'm interested in getting one of these (just think they're cool) and was wondering how it works - does it come on automatically when you put the car in reverse, or do you have to press a button?

Thanks again.

-=Nick=-

The rearview camera comes on automatically when the tranny is put into reverse.

I can meet you for lunch in Woodland Hills sometime in January if you'd like...
If anyone else on this board is in the area, they can join us too...
Old 12-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vtechbrain
I would just love for some one to explain to me the need to have 16 CD's, plus Xm radio, plus 500 Mp3's, plus a tape deck, plus a TV. Call me square but the notion is plainly ridiculous. It's like the arms race. Why have enough nukes to burn the world seven times over. Is it only me or are we trying to make the illogical logical??????? I'm a long time music/audio aficionado and as far as I know most music pieces take from 4 to ten minutes to listen to. This Franken stereo thing can store enough music for 5 straight life times!!!!! In my book thats pretty stupid!!!!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

It's even stupider considering I plan on selling the car in less than a year. I'm planning on replacing it with either the 2005 Cadillac SLS or the 2005 Acura RL.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by gordon_gekko
nice dude:smokin: that's the setup i'm lookin for too w/ the tv tuner, multiple tv screens, rearview camera and ps2.

that install looks pretty sick how's the reception on those tv tuners though? how many channels do you get? do you just pick up "hickvision" or you can't pay for cable can you? anyways, happy listening!

The TV reception is terrible, and usually I only get some weird UHF channels in Spanish. The TV is really just for show.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by weeeg
The rearview camera comes on automatically when the tranny is put into reverse.
Cool!
I can meet you for lunch in Woodland Hills sometime in January if you'd like...
If anyone else on this board is in the area, they can join us too...
Sounds great.
eMail me at nick at bde3d dot com and we can arrange for lunch in Jan sometime.

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Weeg but you missed all but the most important question. How much
Old 12-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by YouTellMeWhy
Weeg but you missed all but the most important question. How much
"The total was over $5K, but I did a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't do if they were copying my system. Trust me, it can be done for a lot less."
Old 01-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks really good how was the install pricing.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Take it or leave it, Just my 2 cts.

hmm....I think in this case you did a lot more than "leave it"

I just hope the guy's not watching movies while he drives. That would just be plain stupid.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by nickpoore
Cool!

Sounds great.
eMail me at nick at bde3d dot com and we can arrange for lunch in Jan sometime.

Happy New Year everyone.
Yeah, I'm there.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuraddict
I just hope the guy's not watching movies while he drives. That would just be plain stupid.

You needn't worry about me...
My last car accident (regardless of who was at fault) was twenty years ago, and I have ZERO points on my driving record.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Instructor

weeeg: Does your stereo mods interfere with the navigation system?
How do you switch between TV, DVD or navigation mode?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Instructor

nice how did u turn it into a tv??????
Old 01-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Racer

I like the system. The more gadgets the better.

I am all for getting what I want WHEN I want it. I plan to add a 12- disc CD/MP3 changer in the trunk, and I am pleased to know that there are line level inputs in the trunk that can be used! Great news that I don't have to use the FM modulator.

I'm in the Valley and on for lunch in Woodland Hills - maybe end of January - I have 2 trade shows to visit this month.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by phat32
nice how did u turn it into a tv??????

By using an interface box that I bought from:
http://www.avelectronic.com/
Old 01-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by automophile
I like the system. The more gadgets the better.

I am all for getting what I want WHEN I want it. I plan to add a 12- disc CD/MP3 changer in the trunk, and I am pleased to know that there are line level inputs in the trunk that can be used! Great news that I don't have to use the FM modulator.

I'm in the Valley and on for lunch in Woodland Hills - maybe end of January - I have 2 trade shows to visit this month.

Let us know when your trade shows are done with and we'll all meet for lunch...
Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Fantastic job!!!
Cool mods.

If you want it and you can afford, BUY IT!!!!

Support the US economy!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Instructor

That SH*T Looks HOT~!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Intermediate

i just NEED to say two words, FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL~!!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Advanced

Is it legal to watch a DVD while driving ? I do a lot of stop and go driving and it would be great to watch a movie while I in traffic . . .
Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Have a question weeg. I have an 04 tl with Navi and want to hardwire an ipod. You said earlier the blitsafe adapter took out the xm radio but when you tied into the xm connection in the trunk it worked. How did you do that? How does it know which connection to run meaning if you have xm radio on it works but if you have the auxillary connection it works as well? Please explain.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by mitchdeerfield
Is it legal to watch a DVD while driving ? I do a lot of stop and go driving and it would be great to watch a movie while I in traffic . . .
I don't remmeber if it's illegal to watch DVD while driving, but it definitely attracts your attention out of the traffic, and this always risks other drivers' life. You don't like to miss the exciting scenes on DVD, right?

However, there seems to be a regulation which prohibit the car manufacturors producing the TV-like screen for DVD/VHS in the front of the car.

If anyone tries to modify or install that screen in the front, it's the owner's own risk and responsibility. My 2c.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by mitchdeerfield
From the latest Florida State Stututes:

316.303 Television receivers.--

(1) No motor vehicle operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with television-type receiving equipment so located that the viewer or screen is visible from the driver's seat.

(2) This section does not prohibit the use of television-type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or law enforcement purposes, provided such use is approved by the department.

(3) This section does not prohibit the use of an electronic display used in conjunction with a vehicle navigation system.

(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 26, ch. 94-306; s. 218, ch. 99-248.

Note.--Former s. 316.275.

This answers your question.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

awsome!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
So as a non-moving violation, if you are ticketed do you have to correct the condition in addition to paying the fine?

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by svtmike
So as a non-moving violation, if you are ticketed do you have to correct the condition in addition to paying the fine?

Mike
Yes sir. Gotta fix it and pay the fine if you don't want to be found guilty. It is however a non-moving violation which means that no points are assessed to your license if found guilty. So, as long as you don't mind paying fines every once in a while, you are OK.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fragiletour
Have a question weeg. I have an 04 tl with Navi and want to hardwire an ipod. You said earlier the blitsafe adapter took out the xm radio but when you tied into the xm connection in the trunk it worked. How did you do that? How does it know which connection to run meaning if you have xm radio on it works but if you have the auxillary connection it works as well? Please explain.
I haven't tried the Blitsafe adapter. I tried the Soundgate adapter (made for the 2003 Accord). The Soundgate adapter prevented the factory XM radio from functioning.

The stereo shop that installed my system ended up making their own AUX input by tapping into the factory XM Radio preamp wires that feed into the back of the factory headunit. They added a toggle switch (near the power mirror joystick) that will switch between XM radio and AUX input.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:58 AM
4th Gear

Damn gotta give you props man. Good Job.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Cruisin'

Looks like the navi screen is capable of turnig it into a tv. What products do you need to accomplish this? Also is it possible to stick a movie DVD into the DVD drive for maps? Is there any way to plug a dvd player into the screen? Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I haven't tried the Blitsafe adapter. I tried the Soundgate adapter (made for the 2003 Accord). The Soundgate adapter prevented the factory XM radio from functioning.

The stereo shop that installed my system ended up making their own AUX input by tapping into the factory XM Radio preamp wires that feed into the back of the factory headunit. They added a toggle switch (near the power mirror joystick) that will switch between XM radio and AUX input.
This is what I want to find out more about... many of us on the forum want to add an aux-in for our ipods, and it sounds like this is the way to do it. Do you have to run another wire from the XM receiving in the trunk?

I'm assuming the toggle is so when you hit the XM button on the dash, you can decide whether you want it to play from your ipod or from the XM receiver, right?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lore
This is what I want to find out more about... many of us on the forum want to add an aux-in for our ipods, and it sounds like this is the way to do it. Do you have to run another wire from the XM receiving in the trunk?

I'm assuming the toggle is so when you hit the XM button on the dash, you can decide whether you want it to play from your ipod or from the XM receiver, right?
Yep, that's exactly right. Any decent stereo shop should be able to wire that up for you.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

OH my god dude. That was f**kin sweet. Love the way it was done. Very clean. I work for Acura and never had a customer do that. Would love to see someone do it though.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Looks good!
I have no desire for dig speedo or watching movies, but I am very interested in MP3 and possible rear view camera. The video input could be useful for MP3 track info if possible.

The info from AVelectronics gave limited info on the video switcher, but did not give any info on how to get audio into the stereo without a (yuk) FM modulator. How did they do that?

More info PLEASE!
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by technogeek
Looks good!
The info from AVelectronics gave limited info on the video switcher, but did not give any info on how to get audio into the stereo without a (yuk) FM modulator. How did they do that?

More info PLEASE!

It's covered in more detail in an earlier post, but basically you tap into the XM Radio wires in order to get an AUX-INPUT into the factory head unit.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
awsome!
Old 01-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Instructor

It's covered in more detail in an earlier post, but basically you tap into the XM Radio wires in order to get an AUX-INPUT into the factory head unit.
Does that mean that you switch between XM and AUX with the aftermarket remote unit (i.e. set up the TL to be XM, then switch "which" input you want on the XM channel?).

Any schematics or pics of the install?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:27 AM
9th Gear

How do you like the Abyss?

weeeg,

Great install.

I am a day or so away from putting a deposit down on an Abyss. I've never seen one in person. Do you still like it as much as when you first got it?

Also thinking about that 2005 RL. Need a car in the interim as my lease is up in April. Any info not already posted here?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Banned

AVelectronics is working on a plug and play adaptor for the XM radio so that you can tap into the audio (2 channel) for either your DVD player, or MP3 player via the remote.

Currently, witout cutting wires you need to use the FM modualtor with the AVelectronics unit.

But this will have a dual bennifit, as you will be able to tap in with your I-Pod also without cutting wires.

Quick Reply: William's 2004 TL