Who says you can't run a W6 IB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
So really you build a plate and seal the sides from the front of the car to the back? Would this be a permanent fixture?
It's really that easy. I used expanding foam to seal up the holes. Two 3/4" sheets of MDF to mount the sub to.

It's not super easy to build the baffle but it's not that hard either.

You will probably lose some output over your ported setup but who knows. I was surprised at how the IB setup was louder than my last sealed setup even though everyone said I would lose output. The good thing is IB is suited for lower power applications and since your amp is a little underpowered for this sub it might be a good match.

When this is all finished I'm running some fabric behind the subs so when you pop the trunk it looks stock.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Ah I see. Yea, im not too good at woodshop. Doing the measurements, woodcutting, etc might take awhile. Haha but Im thinking about it over buying a 350$ tiny box. If you could post better pics, id greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

I've only got a couple seconds before the gf rips my head off for being on here. Just wanted to mention I screwed up big time and forgot to seal up the stock subwoofer and midrange holes in the deck. I thought I did but when I went back I realized I somehow forgot. I definitely gained more SPL. I had to turn the sub down 3 notches on the stock HU to get it back under control. Sound quality seems unchanged.

I will get more and better pics tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I've only got a couple seconds before the gf rips my head off for being on here. Just wanted to mention I screwed up big time and forgot to seal up the stock subwoofer and midrange holes in the deck. I thought I did but when I went back I realized I somehow forgot. I definitely gained more SPL. I had to turn the sub down 3 notches on the stock HU to get it back under control. Sound quality seems unchanged.

I will get more and better pics tomorrow.
Haha, understood. Nothing went wrong when you forgot, did it?

I actually took out the stock sub for airflow from the back. And ah, it seems like a ton of work - it is a permanent fixture huh?

But thanks for the help man, i might... be messaging ya if i end up doing this haha.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Team Owner

So I thought I would update this. Got an RTA app for the Droid to play with. I have no idea how accurate it is so it's just a toy for now.

I was playing some test tones today and nearly hurt the sub. At 8hz the car shakes like an earthquake but the only noise is what I'm assuming is the motor of the sub.

At 20hz it's very strong and just about flat to 70hz. It has a slight peak around 55 which I can confirm with my ears. Still amazing the low end of this system. Playing "bass I love you" I'm hearing notes I never knew existed in that song.

Probably going to install the other W6 since no one wanted them in the BM just to see how much of a difference it will make.

The RTA goes crazy around 30-35hz. Every frequency lights up. It only does this with a fair amount of volume so I'm thinking this might be the entire car resonating.

I posted this over at DIY also but maybe someone over here can help too. The max excursion for the 12W6 is 33mm. Today by accident I pushed it beyond this number. Eyeballing it, it was probably pushing 2" of excursion both ways combined. it literally looked like the kind of excursion you would get from a W7. I have to assume JL's 16.5mm one way excursion is the linear excursion but the sub can mechanically do more? No bad sounds like it's destroying itself and I was right there staring at it when it happened. Is there a way to find out the maximum excursion before it destroys itself?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
*COUGH*

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=689295&page=2

Last edited by Chad05TL; 01-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Wow, that thread was pretty harsh lol. I do apologize after reading back over that. I didn't remember it until halfway through and I don't even drink lol.

There are a couple problems with the W6 IB though. One is output. I didn't think I was pushing it that hard until I sat in the back seat and watched it. Keep in mind I'm running it at 8ohm so it might be seeing 200watts max, probably not even that much. Power handling has to be cut by half or less. But it does seem to be very efficient watt for watt.

This is one thing that made me decide for sure to go with a dedicated IB woofer like the IB15. The W6 sounds great like this but from what I've heard the IB15 should sound even better both down low, up high, transient, sensitivity, not to mention much higher SPL. From what I've found, two of these things seem to have roughly the same output as a typical high end single ported 15 but with a lot better SQ.

One of the side effects of this, the rear of my car definitely sits higher, almost too high.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
ahh now you have have 1 leg in the sea, and one on land. No worries. I've learned to be prudent. (proverbs 12:16)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
When does your IB15 come in and where can I check out this woofer?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
When does your IB15 come in and where can I check out this woofer?
Probably another couple weeks. There is no stock, they're made when you order and judging from their website, delays are unfortunately very normal. I'm talking delays of several months. Sure wish I had read that first.

Here's a review and from there there are many links to follow. I've never seen anything bad written about their products. Everyone seems to love them.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...omparison.html

The really neat thing is it was only $333 delivered. Going from the reviews, these are one of the best if not THE best IB sub out there regardless of money. The cheap price makes them even better.

Way off topic but I can still get the deal if I order two more for a total of 4. It would knock the price down to $570 for 4 of them. I tried to get my father to order two more for the home so I could get the 4 sub discount with my half being only $285 for two 15" drivers.

Last edited by I hate cars; 01-24-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
This IB configuration with the AE IB15 looks interesting. Seems to get great reviews! I kinda want to sell my box with my w3v3's and try this. Maybe after your done you can write up something about the dimensions used for the mdf baffle, how you secured it and how you sound proofed.