what's the deal with XM Traffic on 07 TL ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's the deal with XM Traffic on 07 TL ??

What's the deal with XM traffic on 07 TL ? Any idea if it even works in DC area?

I have the traffic icon enabled but the map never shows any traffic indicators (red, green, orange lines, etc.). I have the map zoom level where it's supposed to be.

I am wondering if it's even activated on my TL. XM radio works fine.

Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 07 TL-S and mine doesnt work either. I think you have to pay 10 dollars a month to get it... Not sure
Old 11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly, when I got my TL-S, you have to call XM to activate it and it cost an extra $3.99 a month for the live traffic service on top of your regular XM radio service. Or they said that you can just have the live traffic service for $3.99 a month without having XM radio.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
7th Gear

Your dealer should have activated your XM traffic along with your XM radio. I am in the DC area and mine works fine.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbell20
Your dealer should have activated your XM traffic along with your XM radio. I am in the DC area and mine works fine.
If XM traffic isn't activated, will it let you enable the "Traffic" icon on the navi? I am able to enable/disable the Traffic icon, but don't see any traffic indication on the screen !! I was told that I'll have 3 months trial. XM radio works fine.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Do I have to be on 495 (MD/VA/DC area) to see 495 traffic? I was close to 270 and was trying to check 495 traffic by scrolling on the map around... but no luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Yes you can still enable and disable the "Traffic" icon even if your XM live traffic isn't activated and no you do not have to be on the street to ses the traffic. All you have to do is have your live traffic icon enabled and zoom out, when you zoom out if you look at the zoom level indicator, there is an area on the zoom level indicator that tells the range you have to be in to get the live traffic. Once you're in that zoom level area, you can scroll around the map and see the traffic, accidents, construction areas, and other various items.

As far as the subscription, when I called XM they said that the three months is only for the Radio and does not apply to the live traffic, but that may have been because I had an 06 TL prior to this and they just switched my account over from the old car to the new car, but they did give me an extra 3 months free of XM radio on the new car.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 TL-S
If I remember correctly, when I got my TL-S, you have to call XM to activate it and it cost an extra $3.99 a month for the live traffic service on top of your regular XM radio service. Or they said that you can just have the live traffic service for $3.99 a month without having XM radio.
I was curious about this not too long ago. So it does cost extra for XM traffic?!

$4 a month isn't too bad though, if you drive a lot in high traffic areas.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman
I was curious about this not too long ago. So it does cost extra for XM traffic?!

Check with XM for rates and configurations. (good luck with that...it's all off shore) I have XM radio and NavTraffic on my wife's Aviator. I have XM radio only on my TL. Not only is the NavTraffic addition only $4 a month, but I have the family plan too for radio.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Dealer said they re-activated my XM again yesterday and asked me to check it agian in 4 hours. XM radio still works but the traffic still doesn't !!

I may have to have it checked out by the service dept. I am just afraid that they'll put scratches/dents in the trim trying to take out the damn unit !!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TheUser
Dealer said they re-activated my XM again yesterday and asked me to check it agian in 4 hours. XM radio still works but the traffic still doesn't !!

I may have to have it checked out by the service dept. I am just afraid that they'll put scratches/dents in the trim trying to take out the damn unit !!
Just call XM and ask about your account and make sure that your traffic service is enabled. It could be as simple as XM and/or your dealer simply forgot to enable the traffic service. A simple 10 minute phone call could save you hours of aggrivation at the stealership (and the possibility of scratches/dents/etc).
Old 11-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman

Its like anything else, if you have never had it, you won't miss it. If you start using it, you cannot live without it. Remember when we did not have cell phones? Nobody died. Loose your cell phone now, and watch the panic
Old 11-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

XM verified that Traffic subscription is active.. so looks like there is some issue with the navi unit. Dealer will have to take a look !
Old 11-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Instructor

When I was looking at the 07 TL in the show room. They sales guy was showing off the navi and I noticed that in order to see the traffic you have to zoom out to like the 2 mile view.

In my 05 I normally run the navi at 1/8 mile scale so I noticed this right away. I am sure you alread tried this, but have you tried zoom out to 2 miles scale? Just a thought. Let us know if you get it resolved.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OmegaTL
When I was looking at the 07 TL in the show room. They sales guy was showing off the navi and I noticed that in order to see the traffic you have to zoom out to like the 2 mile view.

In my 05 I normally run the navi at 1/8 mile scale so I noticed this right away. I am sure you alread tried this, but have you tried zoom out to 2 miles scale? Just a thought. Let us know if you get it resolved.
Yeah, I tried zooming in and out at all levels, but didn't help... sucks I'll have to waste time at the dealer.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Guys I have an 07 Type-S, make sure that you make sure your market is covered. 40 cities accross the US have coverage. Some markets have different types of coverage, i.e. I live in Orlando, FL where only incidents are reported to the navi, however when ever I visit Tampa Bay the navi reports both incidients and traffic flow. When zooming in and out the legend will indicate what scales will allow you to view traffic info. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

traffic button disables for a while

Can someone verify (for sure) if TRAFFIC buttton is stays disabled or enabled if NavTraffic has not been subscribed?

Mine intermittently disables and enables itself back up (07 TL). I still get no traffic indication eventhough I have 3 months trial. XM has resent the signal tons of time. I am definately within traffic zoom level !!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

I'm in the same boat with you TheUser, I live in Tampa and like Onerast said his Navitraffic works in my area but mind never show anything , My XM is working but no traffic when zooming at 2 miles scale. Some said you gotta pay $4 extra and other said you got a 3 months trial .
Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

If your problem is that traffic speeds (green, orange, red lines) are not shown on I-270 and MD section of I-495, that is because those area are not covered to show real time traffic flow. Here is the coverage map. You can see that most of MD is "incident enabled" only.

http://www.xmradio.com/images/navtra...hington_dc.jpg
Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Omurice
If your problem is that traffic speeds (green, orange, red lines) are not shown on I-270 and MD section of I-495, that is because those area are not covered to show real time traffic flow. Here is the coverage map. You can see that most of MD is "incident enabled" only.

Thanks for the info. Actually I am aware of the XM's coverage area. I am just not seeing anything at all. No incidents, no traffic flow (in VA), etc. I had XM refresh the signal at least 10 times and they made sure that I my NavTraffic trial is active. I had two TL's side by side and other showed traffic conditions and mine did not. Anyway, I am dropping it off at a dealer on Thursday!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:42 PM
7th Gear

its useless ..
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the link Omurice. I'm able to get the icons and such but was wondering why I never got road speeds. Looking at the Baltimore map there are NO flow enabled roads

As a side question, I thought if you an incident is detected on your current navigation route, it was suppose to prompt you and offer an alternate route. Was I mistaken in this? I've passed numerous incidents since getting the car Friday and nothing .
Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

I dropped car at the dealer and they said the "receiver" is bad and will need to be replaced.

Any idea where is "receiver" is located? behind the stereo or under the hood?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts

Your statement is more accurate than the XM map. As you said, MD doesn't have flow. MD doesn't seem to provide the data to XM. However, VDOT apparently provides more data than the XM map shows. For example, I get traffic flow data on I495 between the Toll Road and the American Legion bridge, part of my daily commute. Actually, I get full traffic on all but 1 mile of my commute in VA, no flow at all once I cross the river into MD.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
Your statement is more accurate than the XM map. As you said, MD doesn't have flow. MD doesn't seem to provide the data to XM. However, VDOT apparently provides more data than the XM map shows. For example, I get traffic flow data on I495 between the Toll Road and the American Legion bridge, part of my daily commute. Actually, I get full traffic on all but 1 mile of my commute in VA, no flow at all once I cross the river into MD.
Well, something has changed - this morning I had flow on I-270 in MD, so now I have it on my whole commute except for the first and last two miles.