What Do You Think About The PSP Being The Main Audio Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Do You Think About The PSP Being The Main Audio Unit?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone thought about using the PSP instead of the iPod as the main audio unit in the TL for music. I've been using an iPod for a while now with the DICE adapter but I also recently got a PSP. The PSP has pretty big memory cards out now too that go up to 8 GBs in space which can definitely hold a lot of music. The main problem I saw with this is where to mount the PSP and controlling it while driving might be a pain. Any suggestions, ideas, or thoughts?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Jimmy, I think using the Dice Ipod adapter is SO much more convenient, than using the PSP for music. It's so much more intuitive, and you get to use the factory navi screen, too! You can't beat that, and I'm pretty sure you'll get fed up with the difficulty of constantly fiddling with the PSP pretty quickly. But, with your decision!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Pro

Thanks for the two cents princely. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
get a passenger to control it and keep it in their lap but I would stick with the IPOD, using a PSP won't give you any of the features of control and there has not been any sucessful docks for cars for it to control it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
I was actually thinking of buying a pretty good conditioned used PSP for my 1st gen. and then I had no where to mount it. The only reason why I would want it was to play movies and videos because then I could play the music through my AUX port that I have on my radio and I already have the iPod adapter. If you have an iPod and got a PSP then stick with the iPod because if it has worked so far why change.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Jimmy, I think using the Dice Ipod adapter is SO much more convenient, than using the PSP for music. It's so much more intuitive, and you get to use the factory navi screen, too! You can't beat that, and I'm pretty sure you'll get fed up with the difficulty of constantly fiddling with the PSP pretty quickly. But, with your decision!
I agree with him.

I was thinking of adding the Apple TV to my car, but I decided to invest in other things. Its hard to beat the ease of control of an iPod click wheel.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

2nd Gen TL PSP Mount

I know this is the wrong section for this, I have a 2ng gen TL-S w/o Nav and a while back I made a mount for my psp since I didn't have an mp3 player. You guys are right, controls really aren't the greatest but It really wasn't too bad. I usually left it on shuffle anyways. You could also use one of the wired remotes and mount that somewhere convenient. Anyhow, This is what I came up with. Visualizers on psp look nice, especially at night. Movies also look pretty sweet.

I mounted my psp to the 2nd gen's "executive tray", or whatever its called. The mount is made with bent push rod wire (less then $1) from a hobby shop. There's also still room to plug in a power adapter and audio cable of course.

I have to guide one side of the mount through the hole for the leash... a bit annoying at first, but you get the hang of it. It's either that or cut it off which I didn't want to do.

The mount hooks onto the tray and gets locked into place when the tray is closed. Note that the wire is just thin enough so the tray doesn't get stuck. (I don't remember the exact thickness, ask me if you really plan on making this, I'll give more details.)

I would have used 1 solid wire across but I only had 2 short ones lying around, which is why i've scratched up my tray...oh well.

The ends are covered in heat shrink to protect my psp. The ends are also bent inwards to clear the analog stick.

I usually leave it on the mount when i pop the psp in my glove box. It also doubles as a nice stand. =) Again, it would looked nicer if i used one wire, but I was lazy.