Voice Commands on Navi TL's

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:30 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Voice Commands on Navi TL's

Just wondering - How many of you use the voice commands on a consistent basis and for those of you who do, which commands are the ones you use the most? I had a little spare time last night so I took a look at all the voice commands available and had no idea some of them existed. Sometimes the audio capture is a little bit testy with my voice and does something different than what I asked. Probably more to do with my enunciation though.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Just listen to the voice commands a few times in the car, like say "Help climate control" or "Help radio" and "Read list" let the car read the lists a few times and you will get the hang of it. I use the radio, dvd and climate all the time along with the navi functions. The microphones are above the sun visors and if someone is talking, the window is open or the sunroof is open it sometimes has trouble understanding commands, also don't hesitate in the middle of a command and say it loud enough. I don't have any trouble now after using it for 10 months and it always seems to understand me.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I use voice commands in my TL . Like radio, find nearest bank for an example, climate contrtols, etc. It comes in handy when you have to concentrate keeping your eyes on the road making sure you don't get in an accident. I live in Orlando, Fl and people drive like maniacs. Have to be more cautious on these roads. I dont have to say my voice commands loud. I can whisper the command and it understands me as long as I pronunce the word precicely.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The commands I use most...well, probably "AC off" (for when I'm just about to open the sun roof), "AM 1130" for when I want to listen to our local news radio channel, "CD Play Disk #" to play a particular CD.

I use the above commands a couple of times a day at least...plus a few others more occasionally (like 'Temperature XX" to adjust the climate control). I've gotten a little lazy and haven't been searching for new commands to use like I was the first little while I had the car. Although I feel a bit inspired now to use the help commands and to refresh my memory a bit.

The main advantage I find to using the voice commands is that it keeps my attention on the road. I don't like looking around or taking my hands off the wheel if I can avoid it...especially not for something trivial like changing the radio channel or something.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kadams64
The commands I use most...well, probably "AC off" (for when I'm just about to open the sun roof), "AM 1130" for when I want to listen to our local news radio channel, .
You can be lazy and just say "1130". It will tell you whether its AM or FM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use "climate control recirculate" when driving around behind stankyass redneck trucks around georgia.

I also use them exclusively for CD/DVD control. Rather than hitting the button to change discs, and then tabbing forward 10 tracks, just say "CD play disc 2 track 10" and 10 seconds later you have it.

And the thing has a sense of humor, for a honda. We were coming back from dinner one nite, I wasn't driving, nd I ripped a nice bit of after dinner flatulence. As a joke my buddy hit the voice rec button and said "god you stink" and the car came back with "Fan Speed High"

We nearly wrecked the car laughing our asses off.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jss1
You can be lazy and just say "1130". It will tell you whether its AM or FM.
The funny thing is...I used to do that. But then the Navi stopped recognizing "1130". Every time I said "1130", it said "730 AM". For some reason, saying "AM 1130", it never seems to have a problem.

I guess its one of those strange things that happens when computers try to deal with something as variable as the human voice.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Instructor

I just got a se T637 phone and it sinked well. the problem I have is telling the hf to dial a number and what it dials is not even close to what i said. I know I am from texas have an accent but this is rediculous. I guess I need to read the manual again. I don't guess it evers get used to your voice. Is there a learning thing where when a number comes up you say the number so it gets to know you? American Airlines has the best voice recognition software of all I have tried.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:50 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Wv5b

When I first got the car I had trouble using the dial function. The secret is to say the number pretty quickly. If you slowly pronounce each number, then the system seems to have real trouble. If you say it at the same speed you would leave the number on a voice mail system, it seems to recognize it every time. Try speaking more quickly and see if it works better.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:32 PM
registered !!

I have literally started talkin robotically to the car. Works like a charm. Sometimes it starts to play a cassette if i ask it to change to XM or CD lol, but its all good. No complaints here. It would have been great if they actually gave a dial pad interface on the screen where i can touch the numbers to dial them, and save names in the phone book on the screen or something.
04 tl desert mist/ parchment navi
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

voice controls

just traded my 04 TL for an 08 navi and i love it....one question, I can go from the audio screen to the map screen by saying 'show map' is there a command that will take you from the map screen to the audio screen? I've tried 'show audio' to no avail. thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Try "display audio screen."
Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear

i just purchased 07 TL-S. I've noticed the voice command works exceptionally well for the nav commands, but I cannot get anything else to work. I've tried commands for controlling the radio, climate control, etc, but absolutely no luck. I can whisper a nav command and it gets it perfectly first try.

is this something i just need to keep trying?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,105 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by breaks911
i just purchased 07 TL-S. I've noticed the voice command works exceptionally well for the nav commands, but I cannot get anything else to work. I've tried commands for controlling the radio, climate control, etc, but absolutely no luck. I can whisper a nav command and it gets it perfectly first try.

is this something i just need to keep trying?
Try using the command lists in your owner's manual to make sure it's not your syntax that is causing a problem.
"Climate control, temperature 70" should get your CC to operate at 70*F, for example.

Also, if your Navi is not activated (showing the map after pushing the "OK" button), you will need to push the voice command button, wait for a beep before pushing the button again and saying the command.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
3rd Gear

navi-speak crazy

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Try using the command lists in your owner's manual to make sure it's not your syntax that is causing a problem.
"Climate control, temperature 70" should get your CC to operate at 70*F, for example.

Also, if your Navi is not activated (showing the map after pushing the "OK" button), you will need to push the voice command button, wait for a beep before pushing the button again and saying the command.
Thanks for the tip. I have been stating the commands as written in the manual, and even the simple ones it doesn't recognize (like "radio off/on"). And the Navi is activated b/c I try the other commands after using the Navi commands which it accepts perfectly.

I read that if it doesn't understand you it will say "pardon me" or whatever, but I never get that feeback when using the navi-speak button. When using the HFL button if it doesn't understand me, it will respond back. Maybe this feedback behaviour only works when using the HFL button?

I think I'm going to drop it by the dealership next week and see what they say -- take that certified wrty for a spin. If I try too many more times I may go crazy!

THANKS!