Vehicle position on Navi map

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:10 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle position on Navi map

It seems that the vehicle position of my TL on the navi map is a bit off.. While I am at an intersection, the cursor on the map is about 30-45 ft off (2-3 car lengths or so).. Which tells me about 15 meters, which is just about the margin-of-error for civilian GPS systems.

However, with that being said, for the first week that I had the car, it was SPOT on! I'm not sure what caused the tracking to become off, so I adjusted the vehicle position in the Navi. That momentarily fixed it until it became off a few blocks later, or after a turn. It would consistently be behind the intersection, but in terms of "to the left/right" of the street I'm on, its *always* correct. What this tells me is that the "anticipated" vertical position is off by a static number.

I don't want to have to "recalibrate" the cursor over and over, especially since the manual says that if you have to do this all the time, then something else may be up with the system. I've waited for a few days to see if this would clear up on its own, but it hasn't. I know in the long run this isn't a terribly big deal, but it still irks me.

Any ideas on how to address this? I know that the positioning gets better with more satellites, but I don't think this is the problem because its been this way for a few days now (also it was okay before). Could the map become "miscalibrated" over time?

On the this similar topic, how do I perform a full Navi reset? Will this even help?

Note: I know there will always be a certain level of "error" in the mapping, but since it was okay before, I was wondering if there's anything I can do to get as close as possible to that as I had it before...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Normally this will happen in the first couple of minutes before you make a few turns to "correct" the car relative to the map position (partially due to acquiring satellites, partially due to the car 'forgetting' exactly where it was).

I've found that my TL was perfect the first week, then got a bit confused, and now (for the remainder of the past year and a half) has been great again. Only one or two 'slips' from the norm...

-josh
Old 04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hack into military sattelites.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post your nav disk version (in the trunk)
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
AVB for President!

Its interesting that "hacking" was mentioned.. There are legal aftermarket devices that greatly enhance the precision of civilian GPS systems. Part of making something more accurate these days, especially when it comes to electronic data, is error correction. In the case of GPS systems, you can readily purchase a DGPS add-on (differential GPS), which, when wired to the existing GPS system, will provide accuracy up to 1-meter! (see http://www.ja-gps.com.au/whatisgps.html for details).

Speaking of which, what is the brand of the navigation unit in the 3G TL? I don't think Honda/Acura built it themselves.. It was most likely based on an existing model/brand out there..
Old 04-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLTrance
Its interesting that "hacking" was mentioned.. There are legal aftermarket devices that greatly enhance the precision of civilian GPS systems. Part of making something more accurate these days, especially when it comes to electronic data, is error correction. In the case of GPS systems, you can readily purchase a DGPS add-on (differential GPS), which, when wired to the existing GPS system, will provide accuracy up to 1-meter! (see http://www.ja-gps.com.au/whatisgps.html for details).

Speaking of which, what is the brand of the navigation unit in the 3G TL? I don't think Honda/Acura built it themselves.. It was most likely based on an existing model/brand out there..
The navigation unit is built by Alpine.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way gps works is that the sattelites broadcast a super precise atomic time code. then through triangulation the car figures out its position. As far as the acuracy being increased by aftermarket equipment, I would need to see proof. BTW, Dubya anounced that in the event of a terror attack navi sats are to be shut down. So memorize your evac route, and if it leads out of USA(if you live in the usa) you are giving in, and I disrespect that. Evacute, or by a huge gun, hmm, hard decision. NOT
Old 04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
master tl

yeah same here.. I have the same problem when i have the car it was perfectly fine but after a few weeks of driving the map is off on the straight

and do u guys notice that more and more people has problem with their navi being offset is there something wrong with our navigation unit

and is there a way to recalibrate cause i try reseting the the power so the navi lost its memory but no use i am still off on the map

help please i have been posted this topic in two threds but cant find any solution...

Old 04-07-2005, 12:37 AM
master tl

stilll no help come on guys help us out here someone got to know what wrong with it
Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 AM
AVB for President!

Mine just fixed itself... It was dead on everywhere I went yesterday.. Even the relative positions offroad (parking lots, big shop/restaurant plazas, etc).
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Racer

Someone should do a Poll. =)
Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm resurrecting an old post. I have the same problem in my TL-S. I'm short of the intersection by a couple of millimeters on the navi screen, but turning left or right onto a road is always correct.

I just got a loaner 2008 TSX and it has the same exact problem. I tried adjusting the position, but that allows only left and right rotation of the arrow...it does not allow forward and backward movement of the arrow (the car), which is the type of adjustment I need.

What's the fix?