v710 software upgrade worked :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMAN
I just noticed something....after the upgrade

Have any of you noticed that the caller I.D. on the M.I.D. doesn't pop up?

I was testing my phone for the first time. I told the caller to call me back. When the TL notified me that I had an incoming call. The number (of the incoming call) didn't show up.

Is this all part of the new upgrade.....that was deleted from the original software?

Does anyone know??????????????

additional:
I did experience the call drop on the incoming call too. I had to press the cancel button then talk again.....to get linked up w/ the call again.
Umm - just got it upgraded yesterday. Haven't tested it out yet. Will be interesting to see the replies here.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Wrong upgrade darn

Read the posts here and called Mohegan NY Verizon store an asked if they had the new upgrade fro V710, they said yes. Went right out to store to get it done. Naturally being the idiot I am I wrote down upgrade version BUT left it on my desk. So they upgrade, takes 45 minutes, I take phone out to car same as always, no battery or signal. I re-pair it because I remember some saying they had to do that. Nada! I look at version number on phone and it looks like one that was posted here so I go back in and ask. No one has any idea what I am talking about, one guy says his girlfriend has TL and no you don't get signal etc.

Come home and now check actual version and see that it is 8700_01.40 OR and what was put on phone was 8700_01.30 BF ( what I had previously was ow 1.30.8F or some such. So I did get a SW upgrade, presumably there was one after I originally got phone. Will try to clarify tomorrow with Verizon, almost hate to talk to them, nice guys but apparently as usual it takes forever for the information to get to them.

Could it be that I was upgraded to this version because mine was so old and that maybe if they run another upgrade it will now upgrade to newest version or is this something that should have just happened?

Any info appreciated.

George in NY
Old 03-04-2005, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

Upgrade 8700_01.40.OR Worked

I just upgraded my V710 and the new software worked. The only issue I am having is my phone and the HFL both ring on incoming calls? Has anyone experienced this and if so how do you fix it.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Instructor

disregard on my last post about not seeing the caller id
I forgot about the private callers......that it won't show up

turns out the caller id does work......
on incoming calls.....the TL does drop the call for a sec....(as mentioned in earlier posts) press the talk button a 2nd time....then hit the back/hang-up button ....then it reconnects u to the call....w/o hanging up completely.

It took a while for me to play w/ it......but ..I got the hang of it now....

Oh yeah and YES on incoming calls......the phone rings at the same time......
dunno why but yeah.....(didn't happen before the software update)

Tai
Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMAN
disregard on my last post about not seeing the caller id
I forgot about the private callers......that it won't show up

turns out the caller id does work......
on incoming calls.....the TL does drop the call for a sec....(as mentioned in earlier posts) press the talk button a 2nd time....then hit the back/hang-up button ....then it reconnects u to the call....w/o hanging up completely.

It took a while for me to play w/ it......but ..I got the hang of it now....

Oh yeah and YES on incoming calls......the phone rings at the same time......
dunno why but yeah.....(didn't happen before the software update)

Tai

the phone rings now because people complained I think....before without the upgrade..and i had my phone and my jabra headset...i would have to have my headset on my head to hear an incoming call because the phone wouldn't ring if it was connected by bluetooth, so i think since people were complaining..they made the phone ring.....as well as making the car ring...
Old 03-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Advanced

upgrade try followup

Originally Posted by georgeny
Read the posts here and called Mohegan NY Verizon store an asked if they had the new upgrade fro V710, they said yes. Went right out to store to get it done. Naturally being the idiot I am I wrote down upgrade version BUT left it on my desk. So they upgrade, takes 45 minutes, I take phone out to car same as always, no battery or signal. I re-pair it because I remember some saying they had to do that. Nada! I look at version number on phone and it looks like one that was posted here so I go back in and ask. No one has any idea what I am talking about, one guy says his girlfriend has TL and no you don't get signal etc.

Come home and now check actual version and see that it is 8700_01.40 OR and what was put on phone was 8700_01.30 BF ( what I had previously was ow 1.30.8F or some such.
Went back to Verizon store with all the information in hand. OH, that upgrade, what they do put the old one on yesterday? All of a sudden they know all about it BUT BUT BUT cable not working can't get phones to upgrade. Waiting for guy to come call us later to see if we get it up and running. Good thing Verizon techs aren't airline mechanics Will call later but not to confident that I will get anything other than more reasons why they can't do it. I will dedicate Monday to going there and harassing them if not done by then. It pays to be retired.

George in NY
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Black/Black

I went to the Verizon Store in Totowa, NJ and they were not able to re-flash the phone. They claimed that the phone was not accepting the software. However they are sending me a new phone in 2 days.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by georgeny
Went back to Verizon store with all the information in hand. OH, that upgrade, what they do put the old one on yesterday? All of a sudden they know all about it BUT BUT BUT cable not working can't get phones to upgrade. Waiting for guy to come call us later to see if we get it up and running. Good thing Verizon techs aren't airline mechanics Will call later but not to confident that I will get anything other than more reasons why they can't do it. I will dedicate Monday to going there and harassing them if not done by then. It pays to be retired.

George in NY
One of the 4 stores i went to had a cable problem. Tech said that they have been doing so many upgrades that cable not working now - he even tried holding connector in my phone. Said they need a new cable. Sounds like the plug/prongs are worn and/or broken. Might be the same type problem the store you're going to is having.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jrogers345
One of the 4 stores i went to had a cable problem. Tech said that they have been doing so many upgrades that cable not working now - he even tried holding connector in my phone. Said they need a new cable. Sounds like the plug/prongs are worn and/or broken. Might be the same type problem the store you're going to is having.

Just went to the Menlo Park Mall store, got my phone and my upgrade. It worked...... WOW!! This is sooooooo cool!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Got it

Okay went back Monday and 1,2,3, all done right away with no problem. Works great, no problems noted so far. Had to re-pair, turn on blue tooth, just like was noted here. As always great information! Thanks....

Old 03-10-2005, 06:55 PM
4th Gear

Change the Seem

If you can't get the new flash from Verizon then use the online version (8700_01.40.0R) and flash your own phone; and then change the Seem to enable the BT functionality. Mine looks like the standard Verizon flash and yet has the functionality of SuperDaves flash. Best of both worlds and easy to do.. I now have the full MID readout, phone syncs with my PC through BT, and I can transfer ringtones from the TransFlash to phone (and back).. the camera also takes much better pictures.. This is all easy to do based on some great instructions on HowardForums and predefined Seems for your use..

Cheers
Old 03-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drvtoomuch
If you can't get the new flash from Verizon then use the online version (8700_01.40.0R) and flash your own phone; and then change the Seem to enable the BT functionality. Mine looks like the standard Verizon flash and yet has the functionality of SuperDaves flash. Best of both worlds and easy to do.. I now have the full MID readout, phone syncs with my PC through BT, and I can transfer ringtones from the TransFlash to phone (and back).. the camera also takes much better pictures.. This is all easy to do based on some great instructions on HowardForums and predefined Seems for your use..

Cheers
Be aware the flash process can fry the motherboard in the V710. It did on my phone. But They (Verizon) did it, not me. Sooooo, I got a brand spanking new phone today (not to bad because mine was 6 mon old and a little banged up from dropping it a couple of times). Ya, I didn't cry at all over that. And it does work great. I really like seeing the signal and battery strength, and it seems a little more clear with less hash and static. I do wish it would show missed calls on the MID though. But hey, I'm happy as a pig in S. .. t.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drvtoomuch

Cheers
I missed the part about syncing with your PC over BT!!!! WOW!!! How do you have your PC connected to BT? Are you using a USB BT device? What software are you syncing with between the phone and the PC? That is FANTASTIC if I can do that to maintain my phone book and back up to PC. Please contact me direct with that Info (dlgdon@charter.net) would be much appreciative.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:43 AM
2015 Advance

People with successful upgrades - are you experiencing the dropped bluetooth symptom where the car won't keep a BT connection on incoming calls (and the incoming phone number is an entry in the phone's address book)?

-Eric
Old 03-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Instructor

I had my phone flashed about a month ago and I haven't had any dropped calls like some people are talking about. These numbers are both in my V710 phonebook and in the TL HFL Phonebook, not sure if that would make any difference here.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Racer

Just flashed two days ago. I've made several outgoing with no problem (still the funny noice through the speakers while connecting - like pops, cracks). I've had one incoming call while driving and the only problem I've seen is the phone rings at the same time as the TL's system, which isn't that big of a deal. No dropped call. Only had to hit the "answer button" once. Like the signal strength and battery life in the MID.

I had one other call while I was already using the phone and was able to switch to it by hitting the answer button. The other call got dropped, though (my 73 y.o. Mom was on the other line and told me she got dropped, she didn't hang up).

I need to test it more. I've seen caller ID with no problem and, of course, my TL phonebook listings are unchanged but my V710 phonebook got wiped out (sucks!).

I have a Bluetooth enabled iMac but no program to transfer phone numers. I'd be interested in it. My DV camera is bluetooth also, as is my mouse and keyboard.

DC
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Bumbaklaat

I went to Verizon today, got the upgrade and they fried my phone. After comming back from dropping it off, the manager told me that they fried the phone when they made the upgrade. My phone shuts off, drops calls, and and makes a really annoying high pitched sounds in the middle of calls. The good news is that Verizon is reaplacing the phone at no charge. I just have to wait 3 days to receive it in the mail. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bumbaklaat83
I went to Verizon today, got the upgrade and they fried my phone. After comming back from dropping it off, the manager told me that they fried the phone when they made the upgrade. My phone shuts off, drops calls, and and makes a really annoying high pitched sounds in the middle of calls. The good news is that Verizon is reaplacing the phone at no charge. I just have to wait 3 days to receive it in the mail. Anyone else experience this?
Well if you had read this entire thread I pretty much stated what can happen on the upgrade. Verizon replaced my phone on the spot after they fried it. So, I got a new phone and it works perfectly with the TL. Now what I'd like to hear more about is BT syncing with the PC? Some fella mentioned the upgrade will now allow PC syncing via Blue Tooth. Anyone have info on this??
Old 03-12-2005, 02:28 PM
2015 Advance

If you get the software (Mobile PhoneTools) you can sync with Outlook, both contacts and calendar over BT with the new software.

-Eric
Old 03-12-2005, 05:33 PM
4th Gear

BT Syncing with your PC

I changed the Seem on my V710 phone to BT sync with my PC however another friend has been able to do it since he had his phone upgraded. I use Motorola Phone Tools and also Verizon Office kits with Mobile Phonebook. Both work well and I am now able to use my phone to go online with my Palm T3 and my PC while traveling. I have not had any dropped calls while on my BT system in my car or my BT HS820 headset.. Since I added an extended life battery I now think this is the best phone Verizon has ever released (you need it for extended BT use)..
Old 03-13-2005, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

My experience and some advice...

I went to the Verizon Wireless store in Huntington Beach, CA yesterday morning and the technician fried my phone doing the upgrade....it was completely dead and wouldn't even power on after the firmware was flashed. The good news is he saved my numbers first, but the store was out of replacement phones. So, I had to drive to Westminster, CA where they had the phone. The firmware on the replacement phone was 8700_01.30.8F and when they tried to update it, the firmware upgrade failed each time (but didn't fry the phone this time). I was told to come back in a couple of weeks to see if the firmware was fixed. Then, I had to drive back to the original store to get my numbers put back in.

All in all, a two hour expense to my time...some advice before upgradeingfirmware

1) Make sure the store has an FRU for a replacement if it goes wrong and
2) Make sure the store saves your numbers prior to the upgrade.

Has anyone else seen or heard of firmware upgrade issues and is 8700_01.30.8F fairly recent?

Thank you -Scott
Old 03-13-2005, 08:00 PM
2015 Advance

I think the 1.30.8F is what was on mine before it was upgraded to 1.40.OR

-Eric
Old 03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Had mine done on Saturday. Seems to be working just fine. Both signal strength and battery meters now show up.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 714tman
Full rundown on changes/fixes:

Here is the rundown on the new changes:

-Camera key disabled while GIN is running
-Camera images improved for still photos after megapixel capture
-MAC OS-X created directories will be now supported with the transflash
-Hot-Swap will be supported for transflash
-Remove the ability to copy/move audio files from the transflash to the phone. Prevents users from copying audio files for use as ringtones
-Title bar has been removed from the browser to increase usable space.
-Allows the phone and bluetooth headset to ring during incoming calls.
-Sends signal, roam and battery indications to some bluetooth car kits.
-Allows phonebook entry transfer to some bluetooth car kits.
-Allows phonebook/data book synchronization to bluetooth capable computers.
-Additional automobiles have been added to the compatibility matrix to support bluetooth in some car kits.

Anybody know if the new software enables phonebook data transfer to cTL HFL?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Racer

Does Verizon charge for this upgrade?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by catsailr
No
Old 03-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by catsailr
Only in that humongus monthly payment you make to them. It's in THEIR interest to keep you using that toy. No charge for updates. Whatever allows you to make more cell calls they are all for it. . . So call everyone you know Verizon is smiling on you .