v710 software upgrade worked :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it had the most recently offered firmware not the upgrade that shows the battery signal, i got my phone months ago and they updated the firmware over time i just was too lazy to upgrade it, and i told her my camera was kinda fucked up so i wanted a new one, you can replace your phone any amount of times if given a valid reason, with verizon, thats what i usually do right before my contract is up so i get the most updated of what im offered.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went in to the store and they successfully completed it for me in less than 30 minutes.. works like a charm! i did have to re-pair it and re-tweak some config, but i love it! (man, we're geeks :-)
Old 02-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Will the new firmware accept Pauses?

I am wondering if the new 40.OR firmware will allow you to program pauses into the car? I have been using a workaround to access my office voicemail because the old firmware disconnected the phone when a pause was sent from the car.

Has anyone with the new firmware tried to program in some pauses??
Old 02-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
actually...what happened was, i replaced my phone because of some glitchiness and the woman said the firmware upgrade wasn't available anymore due to glitches and bugs that needed to be fixed. so i got my phone replaced and i had to RE-PAIR everything and i was to lazy to pair it so i just dealt with it for a few days, and today i finally RE-PAIRED everything and i now have the BATTERY METERE and SIGNAL METER i don't know if its the latest firmware upgrade offered, because my old phone had the oldest firmware available, or if they accidentally put the new firmware upgrade on my phone.....either way...im a happy customer and so far i havn't experienced any bugs...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:20 AM
2005 TL Owner

When they flashed the phone, it lost a few settings:
1. Wallpaper assignment
2. Bluetooth always on setting (reset to off)
3. Pairing setup (had to re-pair)

Everything else was intact: phonebook, stored pics...

They did show me a disclaimer that advised if the flash process had any issues that data could be lost. I guess some people do not undestand the volatility of firmware upgrading and get mad when they lose data.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Instructor

I just got back from the Verizon store in Edison, they updated my phone, lost the same settings as angler mentioned along with my default ring tone. NO big deal, re-paired my phone to my TL and now have the battery and signal strength bars on the MID. Everything seems to be working fine.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Thumbs down

My phone was fried by the firmware update. I should be getting a FRU on Monday. I was warned about the possibility of the phone being fried by Verizon, and I took the risk. What gets me angry is the fact they won't upgrade the FRU shipping time from 2 day to overnight so I can have the phone before the weekend. Us young guys live by our phones on the weekend! I almost wish I paid the 12 bucks for overnight shipping now... ohh well. I hope this hassle is worth it.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Intermediate

WTF

I waent and had the upgrade done was so happy and then I recieved a call and it drops and the radio comes back on dammit I should have left the phomne alone now I have to go back and see what they will do.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by northjerseyacura
WTF

I waent and had the upgrade done was so happy and then I recieved a call and it drops and the radio comes back on dammit I should have left the phomne alone now I have to go back and see what they will do.
I know at least a couple of other people had this same issue, did anyone get it resolved?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldglv
I know at least a couple of other people had this same issue, did anyone get it resolved?
I'm not getting mine flashed till I know this is fixed...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:09 AM
2015 Advance

I just got mine flashed this morning. The guy at the store said he just got the code today. I'll report back after some more testing with the car.

-Eric
Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 AM
2005 TL Owner

I do not have any problems so far calling from the phone or from the car.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Straight outta JERSEY ...

my phone works perfectly in the car
Old 02-25-2005, 09:19 AM
2015 Advance

No problems with the phone and the car, although I had to re-pair it. It's also working fine with regular calls but there is a dead zone on my living room couch...

-Eric
Old 02-25-2005, 09:44 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I am wondering if the new 40.OR firmware will allow you to program pauses into the car?
Yes. Pauses work fine with the new firmware.

I flashed my phone awhile back with the SuperDave flash (that was based on this firmware). Back then, about half the people getting the flash (it didn't matter if it was the Verizon or the SuperDave) were having either battery-life issues or a problem where people couldn't hear them (even though they could hear the other person just fine). I didn't have that problem for several months, then suddenly I started having the audio problem in about 3/4 of my calls. Not good.

Luckily, I hadn't turned in my phone for the recall yet, so I was able to get a new phone, which I haven't flashed yet. I guess I'll wait until I know that those problems are taken care of before I take the plunge again. Still... I REALLY miss the battery and signal strength meters on the TL!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

I just went to Verizon and had my phone flashed and when I came back after an hour they said that they fried the phone. They gave me a new phone that already had the new firmware on it when it was sent to them from the factory. I had to re-pair it with my car, but so far everything seems to work fine.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

WTF!! give up mp3 ringtones?

No way... i have way too much fun with my ringtones to give that up.. how lame.

I used Audacity a free GNU audio editor Http://audacity.sourceforge.net

I took all my fav songs grabbed the most appropriate 40 secs, parts that include a ring style element and viola! i've got the best sounding audibly pleasing non intrusive ringtones... I even keep full length MP3's as ringtones for people i don't pick up for... you know so i can listen to a nice song instead of dreading the call.. heh

Fuck the battery bar and signal meter
Old 02-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Workaround

Originally Posted by mb7ny23
I hope this is not a problem with the upgrade! Now when I try and answer an incoming call, the person can hear me say "hello", but the HFL turns off and the radio comes back on. Has anyone else experienced the same problem before or after the upgrade?

I have the same problem. Try this:

Someone calls,
You press the talk button.
The system answers for a second, then hangs up on you.
Press the talk button a second time.
Wait one second, then press the cancel button.
You should be linked back up to the call.

I tested this about a dozen times using my home cordless phone calling my V710

Can someone verify if this workaround also works for them?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

I have tried this too!! It seems to work, but seems to be a pain in the rear end!! I did not have this problem before the "upgrade"!!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We'll probably have to wait another 6 months for an upgrade to fix the upgrade to fix a phone that should have worked in the first place

Go Verizon!
Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 AM
2005 TL Owner

It's not Verizon, but Motorola. Motorola makes custom firmware for each vendor for each phone. What you can blame Verizon for is disabling so many Bluetooth features to maximize their profit (i.e. force customers to buy services that the phone supports natively)

In fact, it is even possible that some of the disabled features are because they do not work well.

Electronics manufacturers are always pushing the envelope to stay competative at the expense of quality and ultimately the customer. Even quality icons like Sony have the same types of issues.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:48 AM
2015 Advance

I have the problem with the hangup too although it's not a hangup. The handsfree loses the audio connection to the phone. If I go to the phone and disconnect the BT link, I can talk on the phone just fine.

After doing some testing, the phone seems to hangup an incoming call if the name and number is in the phones' contact list. When I deleted the entry from the contact list and called, the phone/car connected fine. I put the name/number back in and could repeat the problem. So...

1. The phone is now sending something in the Handsfree profile the TL doesn't understand (i.e. the Acura isn't following the BT spec)

2. The phone is sending something not in the BT spec and that is causing the car to lose connection.

I'll stop into the Verizon office that did the upgrade last week and report the bug to them. Hopefully they'll pay attention to me.

-Eric
Old 02-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I bought the RL and a V710 for my wife last night. It has version 3.08F installed. I stopped by again today to speak with the tech and he said he has the new software. He told me to stop by on Tuesday when he returns and he will update the software. I will let you know if he really has it or just thinks he has the new version.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 AM
1337 H4x0r

I had mine flashed and it now works perfectly with my TL.

I was able to modify the seem to add my own MMS gateway and modified the WebSessions file to add my own WAP gateway. I also enabled via modification to the seem the ability to add/remove files and sync the phone via USB and/or BT from MPT which was nice.

I would be happy to have the full BT functionality but I'm pretty satisfied with the phone at this point.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Hello,

Anybody in the Philly / Malvern Area get their firmware upgraded?

I must say for $200, this phone sure is a disappointment.

1. with my SE, I was able to sync my calendar and contacts via infrared to my laptop using Outlook.
2. Bluetooth worked perfectly in the TL. Signal strength and battery meter worked fine.
3. No initial popping sound when placing a call in the TL.
Strong battery life
4. I can set an alarm on the phone. shut the phone off and it will turn ON automatically when its time for me to get up.
5. Size of the flip top is huge, compared to the competition. There is no bigger fliptop then our beast that is selling at phone service providors.

My SE was also was free and I got BT Hands Free Set with it.
The only problem which was a BIG problem, T-mobile service in Philly sucks.

For $200 I expected something much better then my SE

I don't know who to blame dam Verizon, Motorola, or inferior CDMA technology. I hope this Firmware solves all these problems.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lstepnio
I had mine flashed and it now works perfectly with my TL.
Can the car display be enabled somehow to display the name of incoming caller? Does this work with other phones, or not capable with v710 or any phone?

Carl
Old 03-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
carl: I dont THINK this is possible because I THINK that functionality is not built into the BT protocols
Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM

just brought my v710 to verizon and had them flash the phone, works perfectly

phone rings, you can answer. nothing gets dropped, same when you make a call

S/W version is 8700_01.40.0R
Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I just replaced my V710 today due to bad connections. The phone was bad and the new one works great now. I also had the tech update the S/W version to 8700_01.40.0R and the phone seems to work great. If you live the Pearland area you can update the software at the FM 518 store.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Instructor

SOFTWARE UPGRADE didn't work for my phone

I"m not sure if anyone in Southern Cali (pasadena area) has run into this problem yet.

Yesterday and today I went to a total of 3 Verizon Wireless Stores. First off the first store I go to .....tells me something is wrong w/my phone and it wno't take the software upgrade. So he gives me a new phone......and said that the upgrade is there (which it wasn't). So now I have a new phone.

I called another store...and they recalled the software upgrade stating that it was "frying" all the phones....and that they weren't offering it yet.

I called another store.....and they said their upgrade software was working fine. So i go there. The guy tried 3 times to upload the upgrade into my phone (which is new-keep in mind) and was UNSUCCESSFULY-stating that my phone wouldn't take the software. He also didn't know if the new phones had the upgrade and they were currently out of stock.

Does anyone in the L.A. area...know of a local store that has a WORKING software upgrade? or has new V710's (in stock) w/ the upgrade already installed?

I"m tired of driving around and calling around.......

The upside of this......this was done on company time.....but still I'm tired of driving ........

does anyone know??

Tai
Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Deja Vu.... Same thing happened to me here with a few stores in New England. 2 Stores said it wouldn't take the softare. I finally asked them to try again, and even with some errors popping up in their software, it flashed fine.

Carl
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
carl: I dont THINK this is possible because I THINK that functionality is not built into the BT protocols
I thought it might based on the comment from the Acura Brochure "Incoming calls are displayed on the instrument panel, letting you choose to pick up or not". I was thinking that since it was giving a choice after displaying the call, that it might have had the caller ID.

Carl
Old 03-02-2005, 04:17 AM
2005 TL Owner

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMAN
I"m not sure if anyone in Southern Cali (pasadena area) has run into this problem yet.

Yesterday and today I went to a total of 3 Verizon Wireless Stores. First off the first store I go to .....tells me something is wrong w/my phone and it wno't take the software upgrade. So he gives me a new phone......and said that the upgrade is there (which it wasn't). So now I have a new phone.

I called another store...and they recalled the software upgrade stating that it was "frying" all the phones....and that they weren't offering it yet.

I called another store.....and they said their upgrade software was working fine. So i go there. The guy tried 3 times to upload the upgrade into my phone (which is new-keep in mind) and was UNSUCCESSFULY-stating that my phone wouldn't take the software. He also didn't know if the new phones had the upgrade and they were currently out of stock.

Does anyone in the L.A. area...know of a local store that has a WORKING software upgrade? or has new V710's (in stock) w/ the upgrade already installed?

I"m tired of driving around and calling around.......

The upside of this......this was done on company time.....but still I'm tired of driving ........

does anyone know??

Tai
I got it done at the Brea (OC) store a couple weeks ago. They tried once and it worked. I got my phone in Dec.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:22 AM
2005 TL Owner

Weird behavior...

I spoke too soon. I noticed today that when I get an incoming call the phone rings as well as notifying the NAV/BT interface. When I answered, the NAV screen acted like it disconnected, the audio stayed silent in the car, the phone said it was connected. After true disconnect, I called my sister back and she said she heard music, so it seems like the NAV routed my radio output to the phone and nothing to the car speakers. I tried it again, and it was fine.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
2015 Advance

It didn't route the radio output to your phone. The phone was picking up the audio with its mic. See my previous post about the cause of the problem. Another previous post has a workaround for this BT disconnect.

-Eric
Old 03-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradjs
Hey guys,

don't know if its been posted or not. but verizon stores now have the new software update available. the battery and signal strength now display on the dash. the software version is 8700_01.40.OR Finally
I called three stores today near me in central NJ. First two said having problems with software/computer after doing lots of downloads. One said might take 2 wks before it's running again. Third said to bring it in. I went down, left it for half hour to come back and find out they also had a problem. They've been doing so many downloads that they now have a problem with the cable to hook phone into.
Need to get another cable. Said to call tomorrow.

Oh well, looks like this might take some time to get installed.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 AM
2005 TL Owner

Originally Posted by rochester_eric
It didn't route the radio output to your phone. The phone was picking up the audio with its mic. See my previous post about the cause of the problem. Another previous post has a workaround for this BT disconnect.

-Eric
That is not possible because the music was still silenced in the TL cabin because of the call mode. The Car did not disconnect, but the call audio was not sent to the car speakers it was silent. When I later asked the caller what they heard, it was music. It sounds to me like the audio channel switchover got mixed up.

Since it only happened once, that is all the detail I have for now.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Instructor

SoCal Peeps>Finally got a working UPDATE

I found a Verizon Store that had a working update....of the software w/ NO PROBLEMOS at all!!!!! wooohoooo

works great in my TL......
for those of you interested.....that live in So Cal......( L. A. area..)
got to the Verizon store in Santa Monica.....

2530 Wilshire blvd......

Cheers,

Tai
Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jrogers345
I called three stores today near me in central NJ. First two said having problems with software/computer after doing lots of downloads. One said might take 2 wks before it's running again. Third said to bring it in. I went down, left it for half hour to come back and find out they also had a problem. They've been doing so many downloads that they now have a problem with the cable to hook phone into.
Need to get another cable. Said to call tomorrow.

Oh well, looks like this might take some time to get installed.
Called a 4th store yesterday and they had the software which sometimes they have problems with. I went down there and of course they had problems with my phone. But luckily they got it working and I have the upgrade now. Had to pair the phone again and is now working - got signal strength and battery on MID!

Now all I have to figure out is how to program in the voice mail # for my home phone. There are times when I'm in the car that I need to see if any messages were left on my home phone. I tried to program it in yesterday with pauses between the steps of calling voice mail phone #, then my home #, password, etc. but didn't work. I think I need to put in some longer pauses between steps. Anyone out there done this? Can help me?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Instructor

After the Software Upgrade

I just noticed something....after the upgrade

Have any of you noticed that the caller I.D. on the M.I.D. doesn't pop up?

I was testing my phone for the first time. I told the caller to call me back. When the TL notified me that I had an incoming call. The number (of the incoming call) didn't show up.

Is this all part of the new upgrade.....that was deleted from the original software?

Does anyone know??????????????

additional:
I did experience the call drop on the incoming call too. I had to press the cancel button then talk again.....to get linked up w/ the call again.

Quick Reply: v710 software upgrade worked :)