Utilizing the surround sound with aftermarket DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utilizing the surround sound with aftermarket DVD player?

Guys, I wasn't able to find a clear answer on this, so sorry if it's a repeat question.

I'm considering a TL over Lexus if I can find a solution for DVD video in front and back (don't worry, it's for my wife/passenger on road trips in the front... I have no problems paying attention and not watching the road).

Ultimately, I'd like to have the Acura iPod setup, and a DVD video player for the rear and front (maybe 2 units, one for each since we're not big fans of Strawberry Shortcake or Dora the Explorer).

I figure I would have a 3 into 1 setup for the Aux where I can choose any of those as inputs. So the Aux input would have a switch allowing 1) rear DVD or 2) front DVD or 3) iPod.

How feasible does all this sound?

Can you have 3rd party DVD video player utilize the surround sound of the TL?

Or will it have to plug into the AUX and just get 2 channel sound?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Cruisin'

The last question that you asked is the same question that rings in my head before my eyes close at night. It's the same question that breaks open my eyes in the morning as it echoes away from my subconscious dreams.... How do you utilize the 5.1 with a dvd player? Where is the amp in the car that you can wire into? Is it hard? Doable? Do I have to pay a lot of money? Or is it cheaper to buy one for my living room and forget about my TL? Oh, wait....chuck that last suggestion. My TL deserves all the money and attention!!! I must find the source of the 5.1 and tap into it!!! Why did this post remain from June without a single reply? Why must my question remain unanswered? Is turning my TL into a mobile entertainment system such an impossible feat? I do not want to carry around a PSP for movies... I want to carry around my TL for a surround sound movies dang it!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Advanced

the stock amp is located inside passenger side kick panel. it takes 5.1 input only, so your DVD player need to have 5.1 analog output... most DVD players don't have this nowadays. you could wire some relays to switch the source from HU to DVD player.

if you can't find a DVD player outputs 5.1 analog, your only choice would be an aftermarket amp with digital input. this won't be cheap and would be a major audio upgrade.

I don't think or feel 5.1 worth that much trouble though, especially in a car.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

There is hope....
I have seen or atleast heard of expensive DVD players with 5.1 output...
And if I connect it to this amp in the passenger's seat then I can have this surround sound system...
Thank you...
Now I shall have to wait till Christmas before my wife lets me spend more money on my TL....
Thank you very much for this information.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

http://www.cardomain.com/item/AVXAVD400A

This has a digital COAX output, think it would work?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fatal,

The Myron Davis AD212 that a lot of people on the forums are using (including me) also has a digital coax output. It would work fine with any digital decoder/amp. The only way I can see this working is to have a 5.1 -> analog decoder and then wire the analog outputs to amps with relays. You'd have to use the volume control on the DVD player itself. I also don't see it as being worth it...