USA Spec PA15-ACUxl review

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up USA Spec PA15-ACUxl review

I had this installed in my 07 TL Type-S a few weeks back. I previously had the Dice Silverline unit on my car, but I had so many problems with that product that I ended up not even using it from day one. I am happy to say that the USA Spec is a completely different experience.

After coming across the new USA Spec product and reading about all of its features, I immediately went to the local stereo shop that carries it. They had one in stock, so I bought it and had it installed. I'm happy to say that this unit is exactly what I was looking for in an ipod interface for this car and I absolutely love it! The USA Spec unit is a direct plug-n-play device, allows the car to retain XM, has texts displayed on the screen with no XM text bleeding problem, sound quality is good, and the unit pauses the ipod when calls come through. In default setting, you can control everything through the head unit and it locks the ipod out, but it also has a built-in direct control mode, whereby you can unlock the ipod controls; you can't enable both the headunit and ipod controls simultaneously, but it is very easy to switch back and forth (preset button 5 toggles between the two). Also, the unit works flawlessly with all of apple's products; I personally tested it with my older 80gb ipod video and the new iphone 3gs. The USA Spec stops charging the unit shortly after the key is pulled from the ignition, so you don't have to worry about battery drain.

Some very minor gripes:

a) the unit allows you to search by playlist, artist, song, album and genre; each category is assigned a preset button. For example, by selecting preset 1, you are in the playlist mode, and you can go through all your playlists by using the seek +/- buttons. The other categories are assigned different preset buttons, and you browse through them in similar fashion. And, regardless of what category you are in, you change tracks within that category and sub-selection by rotating the tune knob. I have to say, it is a huge pain in the arse trying to go through all the choices within each category by pressing the seek buttons. For example, I must have hundreds of artists in my ipod...i have to press the seek button that many times if I want to go through the whole list. The only viable option, if you have many songs, artists, etc., is to switch to direct ipod control mode. I would have preferred the tune knob rather than the seek +/- buttons for this function, and then implement a way to change tracks also utilizing the tune knob somehow.

b) cable length was too short. I had it installed into the center armrest console, and it barely made it in there. If I controlled the ipod at all times through the headunit, or if I had it installed into the glove compartment, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal; however, I like to access my music through the ipod directly from time to time, and the insufficient cable length makes it difficult for me to see the screen, and forces my arm to bend uncomfortably in order for me to make selections. My solution was to purchase an ipod extension cable. I did find a perfect one online, and it's called CableJive Dock Extender Cable. It is 2 ft in length, and costs $26 on their website, but I picked it up for $15 through ebay. Now my short cable problem is not an issue.

c) texts are static, and therefore limits the total characters displayed. I wish the unit allowed more characters to be displayed by implementing text scrolling.

d) You change tracks using the steering wheel controls by holding down the CH +/- button for a few seconds rather than just a quick press and release.

Though the majority of my write-up was on its shortcomings, I could have potentially spent so much more time writing about all the positives. However, all I really needed to say about that was, the product delivers on everything USA Spec claimed. Overall, this is an excellent product, and I am a very satisfied customer. I have been looking at other ipod integration options, and they each seem to have unresolved bugs and glitches. So I was pleasantly surprised by my experience thus far with the PA15-ACUxl, as it functions exactly as it was designed, and does not have any unexpected hiccups or errors. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to others.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 07TLS6MT
I had this installed in my 07 TL Type-S a few weeks back. I previously had the Dice Silverline unit on my car, but I had so many problems with that product that I ended up not even using it from day one. I am happy to say that the USA Spec is a completely different experience.

After coming across the new USA Spec product and reading about all of its features, I immediately went to the local stereo shop that carries it. They had one in stock, so I bought it and had it installed. I'm happy to say that this unit is exactly what I was looking for in an ipod interface for this car and I absolutely love it! The USA Spec unit is a direct plug-n-play device, allows the car to retain XM, has texts displayed on the screen with no XM text bleeding problem, sound quality is good, and the unit pauses the ipod when calls come through. In default setting, you can control everything through the head unit and it locks the ipod out, but it also has a built-in direct control mode, whereby you can unlock the ipod controls; you can't enable both the headunit and ipod controls simultaneously, but it is very easy to switch back and forth (preset button 5 toggles between the two). Also, the unit works flawlessly with all of apple's products; I personally tested it with my older 80gb ipod video and the new iphone 3gs. The USA Spec stops charging the unit shortly after the key is pulled from the ignition, so you don't have to worry about battery drain.

Some very minor gripes:

a) the unit allows you to search by playlist, artist, song, album and genre; each category is assigned a preset button. For example, by selecting preset 1, you are in the playlist mode, and you can go through all your playlists by using the seek +/- buttons. The other categories are assigned different preset buttons, and you browse through them in similar fashion. And, regardless of what category you are in, you change tracks within that category and sub-selection by rotating the tune knob. I have to say, it is a huge pain in the arse trying to go through all the choices within each category by pressing the seek buttons. For example, I must have hundreds of artists in my ipod...i have to press the seek button that many times if I want to go through the whole list. The only viable option, if you have many songs, artists, etc., is to switch to direct ipod control mode. I would have preferred the tune knob rather than the seek +/- buttons for this function, and then implement a way to change tracks also utilizing the tune knob somehow.

b) cable length was too short. I had it installed into the center armrest console, and it barely made it in there. If I controlled the ipod at all times through the headunit, or if I had it installed into the glove compartment, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal; however, I like to access my music through the ipod directly from time to time, and the insufficient cable length makes it difficult for me to see the screen, and forces my arm to bend uncomfortably in order for me to make selections. My solution was to purchase an ipod extension cable. I did find a perfect one online, and it's called CableJive Dock Extender Cable. It is 2 ft in length, and costs $26 on their website, but I picked it up for $15 through ebay. Now my short cable problem is not an issue.

c) texts are static, and therefore limits the total characters displayed. I wish the unit allowed more characters to be displayed by implementing text scrolling.

d) You change tracks using the steering wheel controls by holding down the CH +/- button for a few seconds rather than just a quick press and release.

Though the majority of my write-up was on its shortcomings, I could have potentially spent so much more time writing about all the positives. However, all I really needed to say about that was, the product delivers on everything USA Spec claimed. Overall, this is an excellent product, and I am a very satisfied customer. I have been looking at other ipod integration options, and they each seem to have unresolved bugs and glitches. So I was pleasantly surprised by my experience thus far with the PA15-ACUxl, as it functions exactly as it was designed, and does not have any unexpected hiccups or errors. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to others.
I too had my cable run to the center console, though I have an '06 RL. I also bought the CableJive dock cable extender. Unfortunately my cable seems to have an issue and it just so happen to start as soon as I upgraded my iPhone 3GS's firmware to 3.1.3. Have you had any wonky issues with the CableJive cable connected to the USA-Spec cable? 4/5 times my iPhone won't work with the unit if I'm using the CableJive cable, I have to connect directly to the USA-Spec cable. It seems snug and I can't wiggle to make it work/not work, so I'm not sure what's going on.

For a while I blamed USA-Spec, but I haven't been able to recreate the issue when connecting directly to the USA-Spec cable.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Sorry for the late response. I didn't know there was a reply to my thread.

I have not had any issue with my cablejive extension. But then again, I don't have an iphone either, I just have a regular ipod video. I can tell yout hat there were a few times when my friends hooked up their iphones up to my system and there were no funky issues going on. I don't know what firmware they are running. Hopefully you found a solution to the issue you're having.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good write up. I may be picking one of these up. I am still weary from the trouble I had with the isimple crap. Vendor on here would not replace or refund my money so I got burned.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack,

Tell me how it goes...I am interested in AUX
Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
FWIW, I have had the PA-15ACUxl for over a year now and no issues whatsoever. It has worked w/ my old school classic, new nano, and now iPhone 4 w/ iOS4.0.1 and it has been flawless on all.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vector1701
Jack,

Tell me how it goes...I am interested in AUX
Will do I just ordered it from here:

http://www.pacificstereo.com/car-ipo...a15-acuxl.html

Best price I found.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Just got my USA Spec PA15. I wasn't expecting it until friday or sat. Shipping was extremely fast. About 3-4 days. That never happens for me. Anyway right out of the box it seems much better than the crappy Isimple unit I bought previously that never worked. The USA Spec unit is heavier and the cables seem thicker. Install was a breeze. On a Type-S the Isimple unit is conected in the trunk to the nav unit and then a very long ipod cable is routed to the front of the car. The USA Spec has a very heavy cable that is routed from the trunk to the front seat area and the unit is attached up there. I put mine behind the glove compartment. The cables are nicely constructed and wrapped in a heavy rubber/plastic coating. The connections are nice and tight too. I doubt any vibration will wiggle them loose. Unit worked right after install. No need to sync anything up unlike the Isimple. I have control through my steering wheel, the cd controls and also through the iphone. Nice product. Very happy with it. I bought mine online for 120 shipped but if you go to the manufacturers website they warn you against my vendor. Oh well mine worked and I got a decent price. No I need to see what the aux input can be used for.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

I'm glad the USA Spec is working out for you guys, as it did for me
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Question for you guys. Did your pa15acuxl interfere with your bluetooth for your cell. When I have the phone docked I can not pick up incoming calls through the stereo.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I have an ipod video for music, and it does not interrrupt handsfreelink to my cell phone. If you are asking if bluetooth works while playing music through an iphone and the USASpec, unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, as I don't have an iphone.