Upgraded battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded battery?

Has anyone upgraded their battery for better audio performance? If so, what kind did you go with?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Deezy ™

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
I have not ungraded my battery in my TL yet (nor the stereo system..yet) but I have in pretty much all my previous vehicles, I usually went with Stinger batteries.

http://stingerelectronics.com/produc...edcategoryid=4
Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I think the sears platinum is what neibur is running. Its a deep cycle design

here is a excerpt of his post. "I upgraded the big 3 and the most important upgrade is to install a Sears Platinum under the hood. Only the Platinum though, as those are made by Odyssey and are Deed Cycle batteries that are one of the best batteries on the market."

Last edited by pohljm; 05-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
I think the sears platinum is what neibur is running. Its a deep cycle design

here is a excerpt of his post. "I upgraded the big 3 and the most important upgrade is to install a Sears Platinum under the hood. Only the Platinum though, as those are made by Odyssey and are Deed Cycle batteries that are one of the best batteries on the market."
The only correction is Enersys makes the Odyssey and the Platinum. One gets the Odyssey label and one gets the Diehard label. Not that it matters, the Odyssey is a Diehard Platinum and the Platinum is an Odyssey. I didn't know either was a deep cycle, you learn something new everyday.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a deep cycle battery be appropriate as a starting battery? I thought the resistance was quite high on those.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
deep cycle has to do with the ability of the battery to be discharged deeply like as in dead, and then be able to be recharged fully and completely over and over.

I am not confirming the deep cycle capabilities I was quoting Neibur on that. A typical automotive battery is not deep cycle. marine batteries would be a common place for you to see them.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
I (as well as many on DIYMA) run the Sears Plat in our cars. Sears touts them as car starting batteries and living in Nebraska, we get plenty of Arctic Cold and Very warm summers. I will work just fine!

Thanks for the clarification Matt!
The following users liked this post:
cnwahlheim (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by niebur3
I (as well as many on DIYMA) run the Sears Plat in our cars. Sears touts them as car starting batteries and living in Nebraska, we get plenty of Arctic Cold and Very warm summers. I will work just fine!

Thanks for the clarification Matt!
I don't want it to sound like I was nit picking but I mainly just wanted to throw out there that Enersys makes them and not Johnson Controls. In my opinion this is a good thing as it seems like Enersys has higher quality products overall. I think they're the biggest manufacturer but I might be wrong.

I had one of the old school Optima Red Tops before the Johnson Controls takeover and it survived 7 summers in the 200 degree under hood temps of my turbo car and never failed or even "slowed down". After the takeover the quality went downhill. Me and my father went through over 10 yellow and red tops over the course of 3 years. One day they would work fine the next day they had nothing with zero volts on the meter. They're still living off of the old reputation unfortunately. I feel like the DHP is the new or old Optima depending on how you look at it. It's expensive but not overpriced and it truly stands out from the pack. I tuned the stereo for over an hour with it loud the whole time and then realized the engine wasn't running but it started fine. My Optima literally had about 5 minutes reserve with the system going after a couple years of use.

Me and Buzzman had similar results after going with this battery. I wasn't going to post them because it would have been chalked up to the placebo effect and I thought maybe it actually was but when I saw his post about the system seeming more dynamic I was more confident that what I heard was real.

To the OP and others, don't get caught up in the deep cycle vs starting batteries or 1000CCA vs 800CCA. These batteries flat out work and they don't seem to care whether its arctic cold or 110F outside. The Optimas always slowed down when they got really cold. Don't worry about getting every last CCA out of it, the stock battery was 400-450 CCA and it turns this little V6 over easily. The CCA doesn't mean anything when it comes to reserve capacity. I can say for certain my car turns over quicker with my 800CCA DHP than it ever did with my 1,000+ CCA Optima. These batteries work in all conditions and have huge reserve capacity. They perform better than the specs would lead you to believe.
The following users liked this post:
cnwahlheim (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stock battery and optima yellow top battery for the system
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tommys TL
Stock battery and optima yellow top battery for the system
I think one good battery will work better especially with the stock alternator. Assuming the second battery isn't just for runtime with the engine off.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Sears Diehard Platinum here and no problems!