TVandNav2Go screen shaky on input?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TVandNav2Go screen shaky on input?

I just finished installing my TVandNav2Go that I got from DOM about 5 months ago... (Yea I know long delay) (PNP ver. BTW)

Anyway I installed it and when on Navi everything looks factory great!

When I switch to video input 1 anything on that input has a shake to it, The screen does not walk and the picture is clear but it is shaky, much like a computer monitor that is old and low refresh rate type of shake. (Actually when the scren is black I can see some darker thick lines but only on a black image, color ones seem to fade them out. But I dont mind that...

The ground I am using is factory point. All my connections are soldered so good contact. Then I have the ends sealed with that wire shrink rap tube stuff... My power is a direct run from fuse box to unit so nothing is spliced.

The video cable I am using is a $50 cable from circuity city. Is not a cheap thin one. Is actually thick and good quality. Have used in my home setup and work great so I know its not the cable...

Anyone else have this problem? I am more so worried it will some how damage the navi screen but would prefer to get this resolved also as it a bummer.

Any suggestions/fix or input would be great!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Racer

Ok, so it seems it only does this shaky crap when I use my MG-25 which I dont understand because on my TV it works fine no shakes or any problems.

Anyway. I found this by plugging my portable DVD player into the unit.

I was off a bit with the clear picture thing also... What I was originally doing was just turning my MG on and letting it sit at the menu as I dont have anything on it yet, but now that I played a video on my dvd player it does seem to have faint lines that walk upward on the screen as I prev said, but what I am also noticing is the white dots the flicker up the screen...

They are very fast and when you sit back you cant really tell but if you sit up and actually look at it you see the faint lines walking and the white dots...

Anyone else got this problem? Any idea how to fix the MG issue? It works on TV and computers fine, just some how shakes with this setup?

Or do I just happen to be one of few with a defective video converter box? I have seen so much good about this box and seen a few posts with problems, so I am just worried.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Double check your RCA connections. I experienced some faint scrolling lines early in my install when my RCA connections were loose. Also, try to keep the power line away from the RCA cables (at least the video one). My cables are Monster cables and I still had those faint lines, but once I made those changes, they've disappeared.

What are you using to power the mediagate in the car?

Another thing to try is connecting another portable media device to Dom's unit. Do you still see the faint lines? If so, something is wrong with the connections to Dom's unit. If not, it could be interference from the hard drive spinning up in the Mediagate.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine does the same with my DVD player. I can also see something similar with the rear camera feed. Not sure if Dom's box or not. All my connections are soldered and to say the least I know what I am doing thus have no doubt it's not my install... Has me wondering etc.. I may check Datmrmans suggestion but have my doubts.

Any comments "Dom"??
Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman
Double check your RCA connections. I experienced some faint scrolling lines early in my install when my RCA connections were loose. Also, try to keep the power line away from the RCA cables (at least the video one). My cables are Monster cables and I still had those faint lines, but once I made those changes, they've disappeared.

What are you using to power the mediagate in the car?

Another thing to try is connecting another portable media device to Dom's unit. Do you still see the faint lines? If so, something is wrong with the connections to Dom's unit. If not, it could be interference from the hard drive spinning up in the Mediagate.

Good luck!

Its not the RCA cables as I plugged right into the unit directly from the trunk to verify.

As for the power wires and video, I have all the power (My amp, remote turn on, DOM power wire, and DOM switch wire all on one side of my car, and the video wire running under carpet in center of car, but I also tested everything before doing all that which I just now finished doing and no diffrence.) All my ends are soldered and then sheilded. I get similar results when not using the Media Gate and using my DVD player... As for how am I powering them, right now I was using a 400w inverter (a good one) but I also strung an extention cord from my window to my garadge plug and still no change... Tried with car on and off all same...

Its got to either be the unit or the harness for the unit... Not sure if a way to tell which one. I also get same results with Video 2. But when I switch to Navi screen all is fine. Very strange.

I can almost just live with it but will this cause any harm to my media devices or the navigation unit? I know if it does I can get repaired under warranty as everything is fresh runs and clean so I can remove easy and leave no trace but rather not even have to think about that...
Old 09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know this sounds like a slight variation on the same thing I am seeing. The lines for me kinda fade in and out (but stay in the same place). I haven't had a chance to do any experimentation it yet. It isn't too obvious so it doesn't bother me much, but one of these days I'll have to look at it.

For some reason I notice it more on the reverse camera than I do the MG25 (except when at the menu)
Old 09-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
im a newb at this but it might be that dom's box is reciving some sort of interference causing the inputs execpt for the navi to have those faint lines.