AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/)
-   -   TL-S Navi LCD Screen? vs. New TL SH-AWD LCD Screen + New Navi (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/tl-s-navi-lcd-screen-vs-new-tl-sh-awd-lcd-screen-new-navi-710962/)

georgegiorgio 02-18-2009 12:03 PM

TL-S Navi LCD Screen? vs. New TL SH-AWD LCD Screen + New Navi

Hey guys,

I took my 07 TL-S to get something weird rattle and noise fix.

So, the dealer was kind enough to give me a brand new 09 TL SH-AWD for few days.

I've notice the new LCD is bigger, and the resolution is higher. The backup camera's is crispy clear too.

By any chance, have any of you upgraded the LCD screen?

Also, the new Navigation is more intuitive, and has many more functions. Could we port the software to our TL-S?

Steven Bell 02-18-2009 12:26 PM

George, I asked about this at my dealership and they said no. It's a completely different system. They said it will not fit nor is it compatible with our 3G TL's. So the software is also non-compatible.

TypeSinNC 02-18-2009 02:59 PM

I'm sure something could be done, but it wouldn't be worth the time or money. ANYTHING is possible when it comes to electronics, but things tend to get hard when working with OEM stuff.

georgegiorgio 02-18-2009 03:38 PM

Well, if software could not be ported.

What about upgrading the screen?

A VGA LCD would be neat and clear.

I wonder if the maps on the new TL could be use, after all, maps should be compatible, right?

I'm enjoying having the loaner for this week.

But, SH-AWD just take too much gas

Steven Bell 02-18-2009 09:01 PM

George, I don't think the screen upgrade is going to work either. Remember the 3G is a touchscreen and the 4G is not. If you upgraded to the 4G Nav Screen, you'd also have to also put in the curser knob. I don't think it would fit anywhere in the 3G TL.

GeezerB 02-19-2009 12:14 AM

I believe the 4G is hard drive based. No DVD. See all the obstacles?

TontonPoulet 02-22-2009 08:54 AM

Actually, would it be THAT hard to find an LCD touchscreen with the same dimensions as the TL and just swap it? No need for the firmware or maps to be updated. Just an improvement on the image quality would suffice for most people.

omelet1978 02-22-2009 01:43 PM

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. They way that the Nav is integrated with the dash means that it is not really upgradeable. I love aftermarket stuff, and I would put a newer nav system in if I could, but it is just not meant to be with this car...and if you do find a way I guarantee it is going to be very expensive...

Things are changing though. Mercedes is coming out with an upgradeable integrated nav system which allows users to swap out to a more modern system a few years later if they want to. Hopefully others follow suit.

csmeance 02-22-2009 06:17 PM

You can't really swap out the LCD screen for the reason that it the screen's circuits also control the HVAC. if you swap the screens, you literally will loose the A/C. As well the TL's touchscreen isn't a simple one that you can replace with another and be done with, it's not usb, but uses the GA-Net and BUS lines to transmit data to the dvd drive.

the 4G TL is a whole different system, integrating into the 3G would be a huge PITA, tons on module swaps, wire harness swaps, your radio wouldn't work, etc. It can be done, but at a very high cost and lost functionality.