Tiny CCD rearview camera hidden above license plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameras are here early!

Good and bad news.

I didn't expect these things to arrive so early, but they're here! The bad news is that I am leaving town until Sunday and won't have time to package everyone's orders for delivery. I'll see if I can get some wrapped tonight and drop them off in the morning.

Also, those that ordered the wider 44R camera won't be disappointed. This camera was shown as silver on the website, but actually comes in the same black housing as the 24R.

The 24R is packaged as a 90-110 degree camera, while the 44R states 130-150 degrees. I ordered one of each, and hooked up a quick test fit to get a comparison.

I just used some double sided tape to get a quick mount for some test shots. Here they are on the back of the car.

In the image above, you'll notice both cameras appear almost identical. The 44R is on the left in the upper pic, and obviously the 24R is on the right.

Here is the 24R (90-110 degree angle in left two pics) and 44R (130-150 degree angle in right two pics). Notice the two vehicles in the pic below. The 24R barely captures these, whereas the 44R shows more periphery.

The 44R definitely has a little bit of fisheye, but I think it's great with the coverage that it is providing. You should get a little bit more coverage if you are going to do a recessed mounting as kenny_c did. I certainly plan to.

I'll PM and email you guys when your unit is shipped out.

Thanks!
Alan
Old 04-04-2006, 10:48 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice!! Good job Alan!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's so awesome! I look forward to receiving it! Thanks again!!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Excuse the picture quality. My digital camera bit the dust recently so all I've got are these camera phone pics.

Here's another comparison using one image layered on top of the other:
Old 04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Advanced

thx a lot alan!great job!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I am so regretting getting the 24R now If only I'd known the 44R was black... oh well... maybe I'll do a switcheroo in the next group buy.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please let me know if there is another group buy or if someone backs out on a 44r.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ditto on the 44R. I'll swap my 24R anyday
Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

rear view camera

I went ahead and got the 130 degree wide angle camera from Wendy from eBay. It came the next day (CA to AZ). I installed it in about 3.5 hours leisurely pace. I will include my images later (working too much these days).

One Important Note!
---- Wide angle is great... except if you rely on it too much you could hit something when backing up! Everything is very much closer than it appears (I mean very very much)! It is misleading to let you think you are still very far from something when actually, you are only a couple feet or inches away! Please be careful not to hit something when backing up!

Install Hints:
1. I did not cut out the center piece like Kenny. I mounted my camera right next to the center piece, between that and the license plate light. I drilled 2 holes for the mounting screws and cut out a slot off the license place light for the camera cable (and used a rubber grommet to protect it). If you do this, do not cut the side where the clip latches license plate light in place. I cut out the front corner and made it a tight fit for the grommet to keep the seal. Be careful when removing the license plate light (if you remove it), the plastic clip breaks rather easy

2. I did not mount my video switch box like Kenny (no mounting hardware). It was easier to wrap it in foam rubber and lay it the open space next to the DVD. That would still be under the corner panel, on the right side of the DVD (facing the DVD unit), not behind it, in the opening behind the DVD unit.

3. I connected the switch box power wire to the DVD unit (Orange/<something>) wire on the smaller plug. I measured the voltages with key on and off to verify it was the key power wire. Note: If you disconnect the power wire, you will have to enter your pass code for the Navi and let it re-initialize.

4. I connect the camera power and the video switching wires (blue) to the back-up lights. In this case, I run small speaker wires from the switch box and the back-up lights. I used the clips that retain the trunk release cable (under the clip mounts itself not with the cable). One tie wrap was used to stabalize the extra cable. I also cut the power wires (NOT THE VIDEO WIRE) to rid the extra long, unused wire. I wound up the extra video wires and placed it with the switch box.

5. I noticed the switch on the video box didn't switch video for video 1. I am guessing I needed to connect the green wires for that. If you intend to use both video inputs, you may need to connect the green wires as well (green wires are not mentioned in the instructions).

I hope I am not mixing up the green and blue wires in my notes here. Sorry if it is confusing or incorrect. Good luck with your install.

Regards,
Scott
Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks for all that Scott. Do you have any pics of your install?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05_Acura_TL
Install Hints:
5. I noticed the switch on the video box didn't switch video for video 1. I am guessing I needed to connect the green wires for that. If you intend to use both video inputs, you may need to connect the green wires as well (green wires are not mentioned in the instructions).

I hope I am not mixing up the green and blue wires in my notes here. Sorry if it is confusing or incorrect. Good luck with your install.

Regards,
Scott
The box automatically switches to the camera when power goes to it...(ie back lights light up). I think the green wires are safety wires. You are supposed to wire these to the e-brake so you don't have video while moving.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

My trip got delayed and these little cameras are so cool that I couldn't bear for you guys to wait any longer. I spent about 5 hours last night packaging these things up last night and just dropped them off at the post office. They have all been sent 2-3 day priority, with the exception of the one Canadian member- expect yours in about a week!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get mine in for a couple of weeks as I'm waiting on my coilovers to do both installs at once. Post your pics when you get them installed!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by special-ed
I'm in......don't know the difference between NTSC and PAL. Can someone clarify?

Thanks
NTSC is the broadcast standard for US 525-line/60 Hz.
PAL is used in europe

Don't get PAL if you live in the states.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Question

Maybe a stupid question...i took off my trunk liner (broke a couple of those F**kin clips until I realized how to do it ) On the reverse lights there are two wires Green and Brown. Green is the 12v and brown is the ground right?
Also, are you guys cutting these wires and then just connecting the three wires blue (doms box) and the red (camera) and light and then taping it up?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by palmultiacura
Maybe a stupid question...i took off my trunk liner (broke a couple of those F**kin clips until I realized how to do it ) On the reverse lights there are two wires Green and Brown. Green is the 12v and brown is the ground right?
yes

Also, are you guys cutting these wires and then just connecting the three wires blue (doms box) and the red (camera) and light and then taping it up?
No.. I used a wire tap

Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by 05_Acura_TL
I went ahead and got the 130 degree wide angle camera from Wendy from eBay. It came the next day (CA to AZ). I installed it in about 3.5 hours leisurely pace. I will include my images later (working too much these days).

One Important Note!
---- Wide angle is great... except if you rely on it too much you could hit something when backing up! Everything is very much closer than it appears (I mean very very much)! It is misleading to let you think you are still very far from something when actually, you are only a couple feet or inches away! Please be careful not to hit something when backing up!

Install Hints:
1. I did not cut out the center piece like Kenny. I mounted my camera right next to the center piece, between that and the license plate light. I drilled 2 holes for the mounting screws and cut out a slot off the license place light for the camera cable (and used a rubber grommet to protect it). If you do this, do not cut the side where the clip latches license plate light in place. I cut out the front corner and made it a tight fit for the grommet to keep the seal. Be careful when removing the license plate light (if you remove it), the plastic clip breaks rather easy

2. I did not mount my video switch box like Kenny (no mounting hardware). It was easier to wrap it in foam rubber and lay it the open space next to the DVD. That would still be under the corner panel, on the right side of the DVD (facing the DVD unit), not behind it, in the opening behind the DVD unit.

3. I connected the switch box power wire to the DVD unit (Orange/<something>) wire on the smaller plug. I measured the voltages with key on and off to verify it was the key power wire. Note: If you disconnect the power wire, you will have to enter your pass code for the Navi and let it re-initialize.

4. I connect the camera power and the video switching wires (blue) to the back-up lights. In this case, I run small speaker wires from the switch box and the back-up lights. I used the clips that retain the trunk release cable (under the clip mounts itself not with the cable). One tie wrap was used to stabalize the extra cable. I also cut the power wires (NOT THE VIDEO WIRE) to rid the extra long, unused wire. I wound up the extra video wires and placed it with the switch box.

Regards,
Scott

Great write-up Scott!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennyc
yes

No.. I used a wire tap
Good call, thanks. I was worried about affecting the lumenscence <SP> of the reverse light if it wasn't clean.

Did you ground the camera wire to the brown? I'll ground the ground on doms box down where I grounded the other stuff.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I ground it close to where I mount Dom's box. (the grounding point)
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zax123
Thanks for all that Scott. Do you have any pics of your install?
OK, Here are some pictures. I guess I didn't take any real important pictures, like behind the decklid panel or before replacing the side cover. I removed the side cover to take these.

This is the camera up close after completion:

Box "mounting" wrapped in foam rubber next to DVD:

Close up of camera mounting. I had to bend the mount so the camera would stuck down far enough to be useful (not hard). It was a little difficult to replace the back plate (reverse lights/license place mount section) around the camera though. It's a tight fit!

View from afar. Not very noticable! I removed the license plate cover (dealer provided cover) so there was enough room for the camera. I could have hacked it up but didn't bother to waste the time.

Image on the Navi. Notice the EYE pattern at top and bottom. It is a very wide angle camera. The lower obstruction is the bumper and the top is the "eyebrow" of the decklid.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

THANKS ITL!!

I look forward to recieving it in the mail. dunno when i can get my hands on a soldering iron though. .i'm at school...
Old 04-07-2006, 08:19 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

You can buy a cheap but decent iron at Radio Shack for about $20. I got one at Home Depot for about $30 and it's lasted me through 2 carpc installs and much more...

The cameras that I sent you guys don't have the box shown in 05's pics above. From the camera, there is about a foot and a half of cable terminated with what looks like an S-video connector. The supplied wiring connects to this and splits into a + and - for power, as well as a much longer RCA.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by ITL
You can buy a cheap but decent iron at Radio Shack for about $20. I got one at Home Depot for about $30 and it's lasted me through 2 carpc installs and much more...

The cameras that I sent you guys don't have the box shown in 05's pics above. From the camera, there is about a foot and a half of cable terminated with what looks like an S-video connector. The supplied wiring connects to this and splits into a + and - for power, as well as a much longer RCA.
yeah... its just.. i have all my stuff at home in norcal that i used to install the navi conversion... and instaling stuff in the apartment garage at school is never fun
Old 04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up camera received

ITL,

Thanks for the fast shipping and doing it for free. I really appreciatted!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM
|AM.UA6|

Does anyone know how to take the clips off of the cover that covers the reverse lights (behind license plate)? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Thanks, Kin!

@acb, check out RR's thread
Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM
|AM.UA6|

Originally Posted by ITL
Thanks, Kin!

@acb, check out RR's thread
Thanks for the link to the instructions.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acb45
Thanks for the link to the instructions.
I gotta give Acura some props for coming up with so many different kinds of clips and fastners. I broke a couple on the trunk lid before figuring them out. The next service call I have a list of clips and such that I broke and need to be replaced

Oh well, better than paying for labor on the nav --> dvd and camera install
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
05 TL

I gotta give Acura some props for coming up with so many different kinds of clips and fastners. I broke a couple on the trunk lid before figuring them out. The next service call I have a list of clips and such that I broke and need to be replaced

Oh well, better than paying for labor on the nav --> dvd and camera install

Those clips are about 55 cents each. I orderd 5 the last time I was at the dealer. Felt bad about ordering $1.00 worth of parts, so I got 5.

I broke mine when it was cold out side. Took them all out once before with no issues, but it was cold one evening, and broke 2 of them.

FYI: The number on the baggie (for my clips) is 90667-SEP-A01ZA (zeros not O's)
Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally had time to install the camera and Dom's magic box

All credit and thanks goes to ITL for the hookups and Kennyc for the instructions and images.
Installation wasn't too bad and only took about 3 to 4 hours since I had the plug n play cable and my USAspec was already installed. I got the 44r camera and it works great.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

nice install!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Forgot to mention that Dremel is your friend during the install.
Here's a few more pics.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

awesome! Thanks for posting the pics Crook. Hopefully more people will post pics of their installs as well.

The only thing I have to say is I try to keep these guys out of my rear view, though it's tough with the 6-speed:
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kracker
Those clips are about 55 cents each. I orderd 5 the last time I was at the dealer. Felt bad about ordering $1.00 worth of parts, so I got 5.

I broke mine when it was cold out side. Took them all out once before with no issues, but it was cold one evening, and broke 2 of them.

FYI: The number on the baggie (for my clips) is 90667-SEP-A01ZA (zeros not O's)
Thanks for the info!
I mounted my camera bracket a bit high (drilled the holes about 1/4 to 1/2" higher than the post above . My problem is I see just the bottom of my license plate and not too far behind me (about 8-10 feet). I can't turn the camera higher...I am wondering if it is worth taking apart the trunk and making new holes slightly below where they are now.

All hail the dremel!!! DON'T try to use a drill to remove the plastic piece and make the half moon....doesn't fair well.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

pal,

When you say too high, do you mean too far towards the back of the car? And you want to drill the holes more towards the front of the car? I just want to understand cuz I'll probably be doing the install this weekend...
Old 04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Here are the pics of the camera and a screen shot. You can see that I can't see very far behind me. Camera is pointed up as much as possible (no more room to dremel without cutting into the silver trim. I think I need to move the location of the holes (forward). I must be able to bend the bracket or something to get it to go up more. This is my first time hosting pictures, hope it works right.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
pal,

When you say too high, do you mean too far towards the back of the car? And you want to drill the holes more towards the front of the car? I just want to understand cuz I'll probably be doing the install this weekend...
When I say "high" I was meaning with the trunk open looking at where you are going to put the screws (high/low when open, front/back when closed). I think the further back (towards the plate) the better.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I would redo it, since you can't even see the horizon.

Take your time and don't mount everything back on before it's perfect (god knows how many time I took the trunk lid cover on and off during install.)

I am really happy to see everyone is doing it now!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennyc
I would redo it, since you can't even see the horizon.

Take your time and don't mount everything back on before it's perfect (god knows how many time I took the trunk lid cover on and off during install.)

I am really happy to see everyone is doing it now!
I don't mind the trunk lid as much as the god damn license plate plastic thing. It is such a PITA to get the cover on (and the plastic plugs into thier holes) when the camera is mounted. I think I might just make the holes a little bigger on the camera bracket to allow me to move it back 1/4". It pains me to drill holes in my girl (MY CAR, what dirty minds u have).

Then I need to file down the license plate holder a little more (where the bottom of the cam sits) I think that is all I need to do. Believe it or not the camera angle is a lot better now than it was, lol.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

filing the plastic holder will definitely help! good luck!!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Instructor

I don't mind the trunk lid as much as the god damn license plate plastic thing. It is such a PITA to get the cover on (and the plastic plugs into thier holes) when the camera is mounted.
Then I need to file down the license plate holder a little more (where the bottom of the cam sits) I think that is all I need to do. Believe it or not the camera angle is a lot better now than it was, lol.
I removed the plastic white snap plugs from the license plate holder so I could easily replace and remove it to test the camera's fit. I also ended cutting/grinding away more of the plastic around the camera which made it easier to mount the camera to the bracket after the license plate hoder was already installed.
If you end up drilling new holes, I'd use some touchup paint over old holes to slow down any future rust.

Quick Reply: Tiny CCD rearview camera hidden above license plate