Tablet install with 5.1 audio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tablet install with 5.1 audio?

Been lurking for a while now, thought it was time to come out of hiding. I'm pretty set on doing the tablet install in my 05 Base non-nav. One of my last hangups is getting all the speakers to work. I would like to be able to set eq curves and crossover points for my system thought the Nexus 7. From what I can tell, most people are running USB DAC with stereo out. Has anyone had success using the optical out on the DAC, then running it into a 5.1 processor? I think this would work, but my guess is, you wouldn't have 5.1 since the audio file was not created that way. Or are you limited to a stereo mix, that you can run into the OEM headunit?

I searched before posting, but if its out there, crucify me now.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 374 Posts
First you would need source with 5.1 audio. Mp3? Forget. Actually it's hard to find/doesn't exist. It also depends on kind of the music you are listening to.

Secondly how you are going to plug it in into the radio? There's no optical in. Also there's no 5.1 in with any other way.

The only way would be to tap onto wires going into/out of amplifier, skipping the radio in the process.

​​​​​​​The question is do you have enough 5.1 music to make it worth?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The intent is not to get true surround sound, but to have independent control of each speaker and sub. I'm and A/V consultant and an audio geek at heart. I would like to set crossover points for the sub, as well as separate fade/balance levels. It I go with a DUAL RCA into the existing head unit, I will only get left/right with no crossover for the sub.

With regards to the Optical, I had thought of the FiiO E10k to connect to the tablet, then run the optical out into a J-tech box. Or just run the Jtech, but I don't know if that works with Android. If I could get that to work, then I would have to run a 5 channel amp or find a way to tap into the existing amplifier.

This would be possible with a carputer, but it's entirely possible, that this cannot happen with Android. I just don't know the limitation.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

This amp is pretty close to what I am looking for, regarding the DSP. Just want to keep the amp out of it as I have aftermarket.

AXTON Car Audio ? Amplifier, DSP, Smart Digital