Subwoofer w/factory unit/speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:11 AM
PGG
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer w/factory unit/speakers

Hi again everyone,

What do others "recommend" about adding or replacing the subwoofer with the factory unit? I have a 2007 TL (non-navi). I just traded out of a 2006 Nissan Titan (gas is just getting ridiculous) that had the Rockford Fosgate system w/subwoofer mounted under the driver's seat. That's about all I miss from the truck (I found I'm a car/sedan buff myself), but the system was pretty "thumpin" and I liked it. The factory sound in the TL is about my only complaint (and a mild one at that), but I like a little more bass in my music.

What has others done to enhance their factory systems? Can a simple self-powered sub help? I thought something like an Infinity Bass-Link may help?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
try doing a search for "basslink" or "subwoofer"
Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced

I just finished installing a Basslink in my 3 week old TL. Highly recommended. I'm old (50) and have had dual 12's, dual 10's, stealboxes and other bass gear over the years. Basslink isn't the answer is you're looking for real loud, boomy bass for the neighbors to hear your rap or hip-hop, but it's great for rock, electric blues and (probably) country - tight, smooth bass. You can adjust phase, crossover and boost on the unit. You don't need an LOC IMHO, just tap into the stock sub wires using the Basslink's speaker level inputs (run two sets of speaker wires off the stock sub wire to give yourself left and right inputs to the basslink). That approach also saves running a remote-on power wire. I disconnected the stock sub.

I initially used the head unit to control the Basslink volume, but found that tedious when tweaking levels from CD to CD, source to source, or even song to song. I then installed the Basslink remote in that blank panel next to the VSC control on dash. That takes a bit of effort, but the location is great. You need to gut the blank panel of some plastic, and shave the Basslink remote's circuit board to get it all to fit (maybe a half hour of careful work).

My thanks to those who posted pictures and diagrams in various threads. Even with the pictures, locating that unused firewall grommet still took time. Plus, it's a tight fit getting your hands in there. I re-used the factory grommet after poking a hole in it and running the power wire through.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
The Darker the berry....

I got a custom sub enclosure from wickedcas.com that fits into the driver's side corner in the trunk, dropped a 12" kicker into it, mounted an amp for the base under the driver's seat, and another amp for the high's under the rear speaker deck, ran it all thru a LOC using the stock HU and it thumps like hell. I don't know how much the basslink costs, but it didn't make sense to me to have amplified bass with stock-level high's, so I amplified both. The custom sub enclosure allows me to keep 95% of my truck space and I put a grill over the woofer to protect it from "debris" in my trunk. It sounds great and was cost-effective...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jetblakTL
I got a custom sub enclosure from wickedcas.com that fits into the driver's side corner in the trunk, dropped a 12" kicker into it, mounted an amp for the base under the driver's seat, and another amp for the high's under the rear speaker deck, ran it all thru a LOC using the stock HU and it thumps like hell. I don't know how much the basslink costs, but it didn't make sense to me to have amplified bass with stock-level high's, so I amplified both. The custom sub enclosure allows me to keep 95% of my truck space and I put a grill over the woofer to protect it from "debris" in my trunk. It sounds great and was cost-effective...
I agree, I went with the same wickedcas enclosure and I LOVE it!! What grille did you get??
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
The Darker the berry....

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
I agree, I went with the same wickedcas enclosure and I LOVE it!! What grille did you get??
Got a Kicker grill - it wasn't exactly what I wanted because there is still a lot of open space between the grill openings. I wanted something that was almost like mesh so nothing could get thru, but I didn't clearly communicate that to my installer so he got me the kicker one - it looks nice, but it cost $20 and a wrench flying around my trunk could still make it thru and contact the woofer - but, whatever......
Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

all you need is one kicker L7... i herd a kicker L7 with the tl stock speakers sounds great