Stream audio to your car via bluetooth.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Stream audio to your car via bluetooth.

I have been searching forma device for months that will stream music wirelessly from my iPad or iPhone to. My car. I stumbled upon this yesterday and thought I would share. I will order one and let you guys know how it does. It has good reviews on YouTube. You could leave this in the center console plugged into the auxiliary and the lighter via USB charger. It can be ran without power also. Has a battery that lasts ten hours. I would just leave it plugged in. What do you guys think?

http://www.kanexlive.com/airblue
The following 2 users liked this post by xander12:
Joe Thompson (04-23-2012), triax37 (06-16-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Thanks for testing - please update the thread when you get everything running. I'm very curious and would likely be buyer as well, as I'm not a huge fan of the iSimple user interface. I think a bluetooth connection like you mentioned would allow us to use the iPhone / Android's user interface(s)...

There are plenty of other bluetooth receivers out there, but we would need to splice the power cables, so yours looks pretty attractive...
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by triax37
Thanks for testing - please update the thread when you get everything running. I'm very curious and would likely be buyer as well, as I'm not a huge fan of the iSimple user interface. I think a bluetooth connection like you mentioned would allow us to use the iPhone / Android's user interface(s)...

There are plenty of other bluetooth receivers out there, but we would need to splice the power cables, so yours looks pretty attractive...
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...ef=pd_cp_cps_4
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492-...ef=pd_cp_cps_1

Yea I have been looking for 6 months for somthing that would work wirelessly like this and it is beyond me why things like this aren't available at every electronics store. Really think of all of the ways a device like this (if it works properly) would be useful. You could use it at home or in your car or anywhere that you wanted to stream music from your phone or iPad or whatever, via Bluetooth. I assume there's just a button on this unit that you press and it pairs up. Hopefully it is that easy bc if it's a pain in the butt it may not be worth it to most. Still would be good for me on road trips. I'll give it a try and update you guys.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Nice. I am definitely interested as well. Looking forward to seeing if it is any good.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Use the Blacberry Stereo Gateway. Been using it for 2 years now and it's better than all this. Just google it. I use it with my iPhone 4 and it works seamlessly with our HFL and pairs automatically on start up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elegant TYPE S:
av2600 (03-14-2012), rockstar143 (02-04-2013)
Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
^ the one originally posted has a 10hr battery unlike the blackberry one tho Raj. Good find Op. Tell us how it goes.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Way Too Cold.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'm pretty interested in this as well.

My only concern is if you connect say your iphone via bluetooth and you also have it connected to the Hands Free Link will you run into problems?

Please let me know your results, I'm hoping no conflict between the two and decent audio quality then I'll buy.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
^ the one originally posted has a 10hr battery unlike the blackberry one tho Raj. Good find Op. Tell us how it goes.
Yeah but you don't need to charge and recharge the blackberry one. Just hook it up to the cigarette lighter with a mini usb to USB cable, tuck it away in your hand rest, and it turns on and off with the car always... and connects and reconnects along with it. Its automatic.

For all you 07-08 TL guys.. I think your AUX jack is in the hand rest too.. so you can just set the whole thine up in there and it will be permanently out of sight.

I basically step in, start my car and my phone is connected automatically. Same when I shut the car off.. the BB Gateway powers off. Plus no conflict with the HFL. I don't think there should be with the one OP posted either.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 01-08-2012 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (01-08-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Way Too Cold.

I'm going to try this one out. Reviews look good and it looks much more compact than the others mentioned. I'll post my results.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by seven654three
I'm going to try this one out. Reviews look good and it looks much more compact than the others mentioned. I'll post my results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product
That one failed to reconnect every time when I tried it for my Dad's car. Was looking for a cheaper alternative than the BB Gateway for him and bought that one but since it has the battery preserve mode it would shut down when the car was parked overnight and we would have to re-pair the devices again. It didn't happen on quick turn off & turn on only overnight. Not a big deal I guess but we didn't want to keep dealing with that.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Yeah but you don't need to charge and recharge the blackberry one. Just hook it up to the cigarette lighter with a mini usb to USB cable, tuck it away in your hand rest, and it turns on and off with the car always... and connects and reconnects along with it. Its automatic.

For all you 07-08 TL guys.. I think your AUX jack is in the hand rest too.. so you can just set the whole thine up in there and it will be permanently out of sight.

I basically step in, start my car and my phone is connected automatically. Same when I shut the car off.. the BB Gateway powers off. Plus no conflict with the HFL. I don't think there should be with the one OP posted either.
So, I want to make sure I'm understanding this. Your phone connects to both the Acura HFL (for phone calls) and the blackberry device. You can stream music to the Blackberry device and still receive/make phone calls at the same time?

I ask because I just upgraded to an iPhone 4S and my old setup is not compatible with the 4S. My worry was that if I used a Bluetooth solution for music, that I would lose my phone connection. That doesn't happen with this setup?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by asatyss
So, I want to make sure I'm understanding this. Your phone connects to both the Acura HFL (for phone calls) and the blackberry device. You can stream music to the Blackberry device and still receive/make phone calls at the same time?

I ask because I just upgraded to an iPhone 4S and my old setup is not compatible with the 4S. My worry was that if I used a Bluetooth solution for music, that I would lose my phone connection. That doesn't happen with this setup?
That's exactly how it works, however I can only confirm this with an iPhone 4 running on ios 5.01 (though all iPhone's should be the same).

When I get in and start my car, my phone connects to both 1. HFL and 2. BB Stereo Gateway automatically. I can play music and then if I initiate a phone call through the HFL or I receive one, the music fades and the call is routed through the HFL. Upon termination of the call, the BB Stereo Gateway picks up where it left off.

I also have my dock connector so I can opt to play my music through that if I want as well and it gives me the option for that.

My only complaint about bluetooth streaming is that there is a constant hissing noise that you hear between tracks. This is not the fault of the device more of the bluetooth streaming from the phone as I experienced this same noise with all the devices I tried.

My friend did tell me that the "New Potato" one that he uses in his car is better with the background hissing if you play the music through their app. The device is expensive so I'll pass. The hissing isn't that horrible but it is there.

Here's the link to that one: http://newpotatotech.com/TUNELINK_AU...link_auto.html

If anyone has better options ... chime in.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 01-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

PICS:

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

And my PIE X3 that I have installed was done almost 3 years ago for all you 04-06 guys that want to add an AUX jack or Dock connector (I added both). I did a write up on that and here that is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/my-iphone-3g-integrations-setup-lots-pics-even-videos-704403/
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
i m hoping someone can come up with the best and most affordable one here...seems like there are too many choices out there. to me power supply will be an issue since my aux cable is coming out right underneath the nav screen......unless i reroute them to my armrest box.....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Way Too Cold.

That one failed to reconnect every time when I tried it for my Dad's car. Was looking for a cheaper alternative than the BB Gateway for him and bought that one but since it has the battery preserve mode it would shut down when the car was parked overnight and we would have to re-pair the devices again. It didn't happen on quick turn off & turn on only overnight. Not a big deal I guess but we didn't want to keep dealing with that.
Got this in the mail yesterday and I actually loved it. Sound quality and pairing is very simple. Form factor is extremely small and fits nicely with the charger.

I agree it sucks it doesn't re-connect, however when re-connecting you don't actually have to re-pair it, you just have to press the button on the receiver to send the signal or wake it up again. So all in all it isn't to tedious to just press the button once.

All in All i think this is the best bang for your buck, I purchased it at amazon for $32 even. In comparison the best one so far in this thread in my opinion was the NewPotatoTech but that thing is $99.
The following 2 users liked this post by seven654three:
KJ TL-S (01-12-2012), T-rev (01-29-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
BluBridge seems like it would be a pretty good solution. Price just went up to 37.34 tho. I think I may leave it in my cart for awhile to see if the price drops back down.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Pro

Got this in the mail yesterday and I actually loved it. Sound quality and pairing is very simple. Form factor is extremely small and fits nicely with the charger.

I agree it sucks it doesn't re-connect, however when re-connecting you don't actually have to re-pair it, you just have to press the button on the receiver to send the signal or wake it up again. So all in all it isn't to tedious to just press the button once.

All in All i think this is the best bang for your buck, I purchased it at amazon for $32 even. In comparison the best one so far in this thread in my opinion was the NewPotatoTech but that thing is $99.
is it true that u have to press the thing for about 7 secs for the thing to wake up??
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Way Too Cold.

Originally Posted by spaceboy
is it true that u have to press the thing for about 7 secs for the thing to wake up??
for me it's about 3-4 secs. I have an iphone. 7-10 secs will put it into pair mode instead of waking it up.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Pro

for me it's about 3-4 secs. I have an iphone. 7-10 secs will put it into pair mode instead of waking it up.
ok so let me get this straight, every time u get in the car u need to press this thing for like 3~4 sec to wake it up??? i hope you dont have to pair this thing every single time....
this sounds like a awesome mod to our car cuz i am really sick of plug and unplug the aux cable each time i get in/out the car...
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
i couldnt find the blackberry audio gateway anywhere... so i tried this

it does not auto-reconnect when the car turns off /on again. I have to toggle it from the bluetooth settings, which sucks. i'm sending it back, and will wait until the bb gateway is back instock.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Elegant is right- the Blackberry gateway is the device to get. Auto re-connect and out of sight, out of mind. I have mine connected to AUX 2 on my iSimple, and it works great. Tested with iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and 4s- works like a charm.

I also own the Belkin, but the lack of reconnect is a major pain in the a**. I now use it on an old audio receiver in my house.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Where do you guys plan on purchasing the blackberry gateway one? retail seems to be 99 dollars? i found a site that's around 50 but not sure if its reliable
Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I imagine SQ can't be too hot with this though, correct??
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Trunk, Sound quality is fine. Same as any other Bluetooth audio connection.
Will, Looks like supplies might be drying up. I paid about $40 on Amazon a few months ago. Maybe RIM is not making tem anymore?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by av2600
i couldnt find the blackberry audio gateway anywhere... so i tried this

it does not auto-reconnect when the car turns off /on again. I have to toggle it from the bluetooth settings, which sucks. i'm sending it back, and will wait until the bb gateway is back instock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Yeah sorry you got that one. That one is trash. Even the audio quality isn't that great compared to the blackberry.

Originally Posted by PaulM9999
Elegant is right- the Blackberry gateway is the device to get. Auto re-connect and out of sight, out of mind. I have mine connected to AUX 2 on my iSimple, and it works great. Tested with iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and 4s- works like a charm.

I also own the Belkin, but the lack of reconnect is a major pain in the a**. I now use it on an old audio receiver in my house.
I know I'm right. The out of sight out of mind is the best thing I like about it. Integration is more seamless. Don't understand why I have to press buttons every time I get in.

Originally Posted by Will1688
Where do you guys plan on purchasing the blackberry gateway one? retail seems to be 99 dollars? i found a site that's around 50 but not sure if its reliable
For all you guys looking I'll see if I can get a hold of a seller that I purchased one prior to x-mas from. He was selling it for $60 and had a lot of stock.

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
I imagine SQ can't be too hot with this though, correct??
It's very decent. I will tell you that between tracks there's a hiss but it's negligible. Disappears when song is playing. However when I plug it into my dock connector the sound quality I achieve is night & day difference.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

I just installed that Belkin Aircast Auto in my '05 TL. Works great. When getting in the car all I have to do is push the button on the Belkin and it connects and begins playing last paused song. Does not seem to interfere with the HFL for making calls. Audio quality is pretty good. I can't see how any Bluetooth device would be different. They all conform to the same stereo standard. I'm using an iPhone 4s. Good product IMO.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Wait so do you need an Aux input to use this? cause i saw one on the first one posted as well as the blackberry one...
Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Zain27
Wait so do you need an Aux input to use this? cause i saw one on the first one posted as well as the blackberry one...
Yes, both units need an aux in. I'm using the Blitzsafe aux-in unit and a headphone to RCA adapter.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Pro

got the miccus bluetooth receiver, very nice, works better than i expected
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Drifting

Space boy, how would you rate the sound quality compared to directly connecting to the aux jack?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but thought I might start with a post in this one first to see if anyone might be able to help.

I am looking for a bluetooth streaming solution that will do the following things:

1. automatically syncs/connects when the car turns on and the bluetooth source (my iphone4) is in range. also it will pause the music once the car is turned off and bluetooth connection is broken.
2. ability to play, pause, skip forward and backwards to select different tracks with a combination of the steering wheel and center console/dash controls.
3. automatically pauses music for incoming calls and switches to HFL then resumes playing music once the call has ended

In addition I'd like a usb port where I could connect my iphone with a usb to dock connector cable if I didn't want to use bluetooth. This would allow me to charge and fully control the ipod (pause, skip tracks and fast forward or rewind) and have text display.

I also plan to get Navtool for video display in addition to streaming audio but that's a separate topic.

Basically in my other car I have an aftermarket sony head-unit that does all these features and would like to have them in the TL as well.

The only thing I've found so far is the isimple gateway with the additional bluetooth module but that doesn't provide no 2. music controls.

Has anyone stumbled upon any product or combination of products that will satisfy all these conditions?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KJ 3G TL
Space boy, how would you rate the sound quality compared to directly connecting to the aux jack?

TO BE REALLY HONEST WITH YOU..........i can't tell the difference.....its about the same
BTW, the thing allows you to pause, replay and skip with one button...(replay doesnt work on pandora)..I no longer need to touch phone while driving unless i wanna listen to a specific song....its really the best bang for the buck

Originally Posted by mugen-k
I was going to start a new thread but thought I might start with a post in this one first to see if anyone might be able to help.

I am looking for a bluetooth streaming solution that will do the following things:

1. automatically syncs/connects when the car turns on and the bluetooth source (my iphone4) is in range. also it will pause the music once the car is turned off and bluetooth connection is broken.
2. ability to play, pause, skip forward and backwards to select different tracks with a combination of the steering wheel and center console/dash controls.
3. automatically pauses music for incoming calls and switches to HFL then resumes playing music once the call has ended

In addition I'd like a usb port where I could connect my iphone with a usb to dock connector cable if I didn't want to use bluetooth. This would allow me to charge and fully control the ipod (pause, skip tracks and fast forward or rewind) and have text display.

I also plan to get Navtool for video display in addition to streaming audio but that's a separate topic.

Basically in my other car I have an aftermarket sony head-unit that does all these features and would like to have them in the TL as well.

The only thing I've found so far is the isimple gateway with the additional bluetooth module but that doesn't provide no 2. music controls.

Has anyone stumbled upon any product or combination of products that will satisfy all these conditions?
based on your needs, i suggest you replace your OEM deck to a high quality aftermarket one(kenwood...etc), u r not getting all those benefits from one tiny little bluetooth receiver....

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-25-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
The following users liked this post:
KJ TL-S (01-25-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

For all you guys looking I'll see if I can get a hold of a seller that I purchased one prior to x-mas from. He was selling it for $60 and had a lot of stock.
Have you been able to get a hold of the seller? I'm looking for a bluetooth stereo option for my 06 TL. After reading a lot of topics it looks like this TuneLink device is a simple straightforward solution. I don't have to do any installation or ripping the center console apart for the iSimple procedure.

I don't have an aux port but it seems like the TuneLink device can still be used without it.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Racer

It was on amazon for 45ish few days ago, i was going to pull the trigger on it and said i'll order it tomorrow... but when i got on it the next day, the price was up to 78 dollars...

I think the price went up cause it was low on stock, will probably drop again later.. hopefully.. i'll keep an eye on it
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Racer

just a bump if anyone is interested, the blackberry gateway is back down to 45.30..

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 PM
00g
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The blackberry stereo gateway is the way to go. I've been using them for 3 or 4yrs now. I have one in my center console of the TL, hooked up to the aux input of the isimple. One in my master bathroom. One hooked up to the surround sound in the living room. I love these things. When I got my first one, they were around $80. But, the second two were around $20 on ebay.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will1688
just a bump if anyone is interested, the blackberry gateway is back down to 45.30..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Just ordered it. Will report back.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Bb gateway is now at 40.29 thru amazon, I just put my order in.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Racer

yeah got even more cheaper than before.. i put my order in while it was 45.. anyway i love this thing so far, especially like mentioned before that it automatically reconnects when you start the power to the car... so it's really a one time install and put away.. the sound quality is great, i stream music from my iphone.. so fa really happy with this little unit!

Quick Reply: Stream audio to your car via bluetooth.