SQ with subs firing into the cabin vs trunk. Experts please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
SQ with subs firing into the cabin vs trunk. Experts please.

I wanted to get an answer from the people that know more about this than myself once and for all.

Just over a month ago I decided to face the subs forward and seal off the trunk to get rid of the rattles I have been fighting forever. It turns out I had no idea what I was missing in SQ. Bass went from muddy to detailed. I lost just a little low end but before it was artificially boomy so the change was welcome.

After hearing the difference in SQ and the lack of rattles, I have come to the conclusion (which may be wrong) that the only proper way to do an SQ system is to have the subs firing straight into the cabin.

Opinions?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
As the second poster can I recommend the dead horse stamp?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by uncald4
As the second poster can I recommend the dead horse stamp?
It really hasn't been answered fully.

It seems like with a decently powerful sub facing the rear, you have to dynamat and will always have little rattles. Mine has 0 rattles.

I *thought* mine sounded great facing the back but that was due to my own ignorance. It gave the typical overemphasis on the very low notes but had no detail, something that I might've liked back in highschool.

We all drive the same type of car so I wanted opinions from others that have done the same.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i warned ya about firing those puppies forward...without proper enclosure design you're goin to sacrafice alot...i might actually be head to bakersfield this wednesday...however...my tl is actually gettin that dam deer damaged fix...fuckin bambi!

lol

-Jason
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
i warned ya about firing those puppies forward...without proper enclosure design you're goin to sacrafice alot...i might actually be head to bakersfield this wednesday...however...my tl is actually gettin that dam deer damaged fix...fuckin bambi!

lol

-Jason
That's too bad. I would love to hear your car. Mine is still in the bodyshop after nearly 7 weeks.

So far the forward facing is great. Unfortunatley I haven't had time to try them with the rear seat in which is what I assume you're talking about. I got it back from the shop, drove for a week with the subs facing forward, was planning on putting the seat back in on the weekend and then the second accident happened.

Regardless, I'm planning on buying one of your designs when the time comes. This just seems like the only way to do it right.