small problem with the aftermarket sub

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
small problem with the aftermarket sub

well the problem i have is that my subs are much louder and sound much better when i have the front windows open, when closed for some reason its like that there is to much pressure in the cabin. For example the subs sound like if you put a pillow over them that kinda way. Right now i have two 12" infinity reference subs sealed - facing to the back.

would 10's be better for that size of a car or some special type of a sub that i need to look into. i dont care how it sounds outside. i want everything inside my car that is SQ and that can get pretty loud. I already put sound deadner wherever i could......maybe a higher priced sub would do the trick cause right now my subs arent really that musical.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
how do you have crossover setting on your amp... ???
Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have them at 100 hz hipass/low pass at 36db slope. I tryed lower to like 80 hz for the low pass but im not getting enough midbass from my components so i rather let the sub take over since the tranisition is very smooth at 36db... must be something with the accoustics of the car since my friend has the same subs with less power to them and they seem louder. they dont shake his car like mine do but he get more sound of them wich is funny.....

if you have a setup and if you got time like on saturdays i would love to compare a little bit if ur for it since i dont live that far away from you, is just that i naver heard any TL system besides mine obviously
Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM
RamRod FD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 10's would sound a little tighter but the 12's will work fine... I found that if you cut some vent holes up through the back dash or just left the hole in the middle of the seat down there would be less pressure that your speakers are under. Acura did a pretty good job with sealing off the cabin to the trunk so there is no relief in pressure like there is in lesser quality cars in the market. Find a way to let some pressure out of the trunk into the cabin and you'll notice a much better sound quality. Spent 3 1/2 years at a installation shop in CA and did 5 jobs on my own cars.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 PM
RamRod FD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also if you haven't already, might think about stuffing the sealed box with Polyfill... gets rid of any hollow sound too!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Do a search, this has already been discussed. It's completely normal. Mine does it too as well as every car I've ever been in with a system. I've found the best place in my car for bass is with the subs facing the back but with them as far forward (up against the rear seat) as possible. I know in some cars you get more bass with the subs pushed to the rear of the trunk but in my TL there's definately less.

I should add that I've had these same subs in my GN and beater Celica and they sound the worst in the TL by a faily large margin. I also have to run a bit more power to them to get the same output. Just for testing, I've tried it with the rear seat out and with the deck cover off without a signifigant difference. The dynamat I recently added made a huge difference.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

what if i had them facing forward trough the middle in the rear seat. how would that be - i know try it out but its not so easy in my case . Also i was thinking to go with one 12" IDMax with about 950 rms to it and i dont know if it would be louder then 2 12" at 600 watts rms. And another question is it worth porting it if you really care about sound quality since i listen to a lot of different types of music especially some where there is fast transition needed between hits wich by being ported would be really sloppy then again i dont know ...... i need some help on what to do best....

i see a lot of guys have big setups but nobody is really complaining about that issue im having.......
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
what if i had them facing forward trough the middle in the rear seat. how would that be - i know try it out but its not so easy in my case . Also i was thinking to go with one 12" IDMax with about 950 rms to it and i dont know if it would be louder then 2 12" at 600 watts rms. And another question is it worth porting it if you really care about sound quality since i listen to a lot of different types of music especially some where there is fast transition needed between hits wich by being ported would be really sloppy then again i dont know ...... i need some help on what to do best....

i see a lot of guys have big setups but nobody is really complaining about that issue im having.......
I've tried mine in every position imaginable. Tried with them facing forward up against the seats, against the back of the trunk, facing up to the deck, facing up in the middle of the trunk. Being that I'm getting older, I prefer quality over boominess so I went with a sealed box. Not saying a ported box can't sound good but it's harder to tune, obviously. Again, I prefer 2 12s not being pushed as hard over 1 12 being pushed harder. I tried a W7 instead of my 2 W6s to save a little trunk space. While the W7 could get almost as loud, it didn't sound quite as good.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

would you say that i would gain a lot if i changed out my infinity reference. being subs on the cheaper side for lets say 2 image dynamics the new ones that are suppose to come out or even the jl w6v2. both in sound quality and even loudness when pushed by around 300 + watts each