Simple Drop-In Replacement Sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy Simple Drop-In Replacement Sub

Hey Guys .... Used the Search so please don't flame me if It seems a repost

There has to be some kind of replacement sub for the TL's. I find it impossible how many folks on this forum claim that there is not a single decent 8 inch sub that simply drops in.

My question is simple.... I do not want to cut any metal .... make any alterations ... I already have an ALPINE 600 RMS class D amp pushing a 12inch Kicker L5 solobaric sub. All I want is to get rid of the Kicker and swap it with something that fits in place of the factory sub.

The Kicker is awesome, do not get me wrong please but it just takes a lot of trunk space and weighs almost like a dead body in the back .... I am not expecting the same kind of bass from an 8 inch sub as I do from the Kicker of course ... but anything simple drop in ...

Thanks !
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
well, people used to say one of the JL subs was a direct fit, but the new one is too deep.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by geekybiker
well, people used to say one of the JL subs was a direct fit, but the new one is too deep.
Damn that was quick . Thanks ...
The Front Door Speakers (comp.) and the Rear Speakers are both 6 1/2's ?
And also any idea how deep does the factory panels on the TL allow for the sub woofer ?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think it was the 8w3v2 that fit. That was pretty much max depth. I'm sure you can google the spec

The f/r are 6.5
The following users liked this post:
mani (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Tweeters - 1" | 4 ohms
Center - 3.5" | 4ohms
Front doors / read deck - 6.5" | 2ohms | 5.5" cutout , 3.375" depth
Sub - 8" | 2 ohms | 7.4" cutout, 3.375" depth
The following 3 users liked this post by maharajamd:
IncaPower (09-02-2011), mani (08-15-2011), paperboy42190 (04-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I think the stock tweeters were .75" or .5"....

To the OP, I just don't see how you will ever be happy with a single 8" in the rear deck whether it's the rattle issues or the lack of bass, especially going from what you had to this.

Why not use something larger infinite baffle behind the seats? If you absolutely must use an 8" in the stock hole, at least try and seal off the trunk the best you can to make the best of what you have.
mani (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by geekybiker
I think it was the 8w3v2 that fit. That was pretty much max depth. I'm sure you can google the spec

The f/r are 6.5
Thanks

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Tweeters - 1" | 4 ohms
Center - 3.5" | 4ohms
Front doors / read deck - 6.5" | 2ohms | 5.5" cutout , 3.375" depth
Sub - 8" | 2 ohms | 7.4" cutout, 3.375" depth

Thank you so much !
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think the stock tweeters were .75" or .5"....

To the OP, I just don't see how you will ever be happy with a single 8" in the rear deck whether it's the rattle issues or the lack of bass, especially going from what you had to this.

Why not use something larger infinite baffle behind the seats? If you absolutely must use an 8" in the stock hole, at least try and seal off the trunk the best you can to make the best of what you have.
Hey buddy. First of all thanks for the reply. I know the bass is not going to be the same as the Kicker I have. Well let me be honest now. Im turning 30 this November and also getting married the same month ... I have had the Kicker for almost 7 years now since I bought it in 05 for my sickvic To be honest, I don't really push the bass that much any more... I dunno may be I've grown over it or something I just don't know how to put it in words. Plus ... After the wedding we have plans of road trips to as far North as Canada and as far as California on the west so yes there's definitely MILES racking up on the baby but I'm all satisfied and pretty excited to experience the road trip on it.... That said, I definitely need more trunk space for luggage n stuff.

Now if i do drop something in.... Im pretty sure that it would be atleast half the bass = to the kicker L5 ... if that be it .... I think I should be ok.

Again anyone who has has done the same as Im willing to .... please share your experience.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mani
Thanks

Thank you so much !

Hey buddy. First of all thanks for the reply. I know the bass is not going to be the same as the Kicker I have. Well let me be honest now. Im turning 30 this November and also getting married the same month ... I have had the Kicker for almost 7 years now since I bought it in 05 for my sickvic To be honest, I don't really push the bass that much any more... I dunno may be I've grown over it or something I just don't know how to put it in words. Plus ... After the wedding we have plans of road trips to as far North as Canada and as far as California on the west so yes there's definitely MILES racking up on the baby but I'm all satisfied and pretty excited to experience the road trip on it.... That said, I definitely need more trunk space for luggage n stuff.

Now if i do drop something in.... Im pretty sure that it would be atleast half the bass = to the kicker L5 ... if that be it .... I think I should be ok.

Again anyone who has has done the same as Im willing to .... please share your experience.
I can totally relate! I got to where I used to hate my old bandpass box each time I popped the trunk. I felt like a man child being 32yrs old and having this huge box taking up my whole trunk. Just like you, I don't like the bass like I used to although I like it to be there for that 5% of the time I feel like cranking it.

That's why I originally went with the two 15s in an infinite baffle configuration. They take up almost no trunk space and blend with the music as gently as the stock sub did but will still play louder than you could ever want when called upon.

Good luck with your setup, I hope it all turns out well.
mani (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Racer

I can totally relate! I got to where I used to hate my old bandpass box each time I popped the trunk. I felt like a man child being 32yrs old and having this huge box taking up my whole trunk. Just like you, I don't like the bass like I used to although I like it to be there for that 5% of the time I feel like cranking it.

That's why I originally went with the two 15s in an infinite baffle configuration. They take up almost no trunk space and blend with the music as gently as the stock sub did but will still play louder than you could ever want when called upon.

Good luck with your setup, I hope it all turns out well.

Thanks ... Lets see if I do find something though.... Infinite Baffle Configuration would be my last option I guess. Do you have a DIY on it ?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mani:

What did you ever go with? Just got a 2007 Type S, and LOVE everything but the Stereo System overall sound... Lookin for options!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by timparke
Mani:

What did you ever go with? Just got a 2007 Type S, and LOVE everything but the Stereo System overall sound... Lookin for options!
STILL LOOKING :-p Haven't decided yet.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i know this is for the subs but if you lookin to replace the front door speakers, i recommend JBL GTO638
i got em from http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO638-6-5.../dp/B003KN2TF8

Theyre incredible. I couldnt be happier with the sound quality and they provide alot of bass themselves
Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Honestly mani, I'd drop the kicker/box and pick up am enclose like Unclad4 has. A few other members have built their own or have them and they love it. I'll see if I can find some pics here shortly as I'm on my phone now. It sits in the corner and takes up hardly any space. It'll be just as loud and likely sound much better than any kicker product if you put something worthwhile in it. You won't look like you have a box, won't be an obstruction, and will still have that nice thump when you need it.

When I first bought my car I said the factory was fine for me....yeah...see sig below lol
Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Product:
http://www.audiointegrations.net/cat...75/8253904.htm
http://wickedcas.com/product.php?pro...&cat=12&page=1

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=unclad4
Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

That enclosure alone cost almost exactly as much as my two 15s plus the wood and materials to mount them.... I guess it's worth it if you really want a plug and play solution but for less money and a little more time you can have a bad ass IB setup.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah I agree with you on IB. If you have the want to build a nice setup, IB is the way to go. If you want something very simple, just do this little corner box. IB 15's will be MUCH louder, dig deeper, cleaner and you'll likely be able to use that amp for 2 15's! But if you're not willing to remove the rear seat, build and seal up a baffle board, etc..then don't go IB.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

Have you had a chance to try that new box out?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Have you had a chance to try that new box out?
I went to pick it up and it had 2 cracks around the right sub ring where you'd mount the sub. So I'm getting another one. Should be ready/here on Tuesday. But I've got this box and I'm sure it still would work but I want perfect lol...but they told me to just keep it so I thought about trying it out or selling it.

I need to go pick up some Polyfill today though. Are you supposed to glue it to the sides or anything or just leave it in there loosely?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mani,

A member posted that he used a Pioneer TS-SW841D as a drop in replacement. I forget the member name but it was in the thread where they discussed the rear deck rattle fix. I had that model number handy because I added it to my Amazon wish list. There is another one I have at home, when I get off work I will look that one up for you. If I recall it may have been a Kicker but might be discontinued.

Good luck with the swap and keep us posted on the results
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Just a recommendation that I don't even know if it would work right but could be worth a shot. Anyone that has driven/owned a 09+ TL knows that's it's stereo is superior to the 3rd gen TL's. The bass is much better so that had me thinking, I wonder if that sub would drop in and work. I looked up parts diagrams and it turns out it's the exact same size. Now I know that you can't expect pounding bass like from an aftermarket 12 with an amp, but as a cheap plug and play route it could gain some improvements even hooked up to the 3rd gen amp. According to the oem parts sites, that sub is only like $86 bucks.

James
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Team Owner

It could also be that they use 6x9s in the rear which have the surface area of 8s. Not sure. Amplification helps a lot. I've learned the hard way that distortion makes any speaker sound louder. The system I have now, with the volume down might not sound loud but you go to talk to the passenger and you can't talk over the system. It's suprising almost every time. With my old system I could still talk to the passenger even when it sounded fairly loud.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

It could also be that they use 6x9s in the rear which have the surface area of 8s. Not sure. Amplification helps a lot. I've learned the hard way that distortion makes any speaker sound louder. The system I have now, with the volume down might not sound loud but you go to talk to the passenger and you can't talk over the system. It's suprising almost every time. With my old system I could still talk to the passenger even when it sounded fairly loud.
It is a whole lot less fatiguing to listen to a system with less distortion. I couldn't take the stock system above 20 or so for long. With new comps and an amp I can listen at high volume much longer.