Side Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Side Speaker Replacement

Does anybody know of a good aftermarket replacement for the side speakers on an 06 TL? I've already done the infinity tweeters and center channel (fantastic) thanks to a lot of help from Adobeman

I was mucking around with a mod in my door panel and put a hole through the side speaker by accident.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I found this for you leedogg... now you're gonna match-up those tweeters...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...infinity+front
Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
RAR

nice find rodney! thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go for the 62.7i's, Lee. You'll find they really complete the front setup.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by AMIC
Go for the 62.7i's, Lee. You'll find they really complete the front setup.
Ah good, you're still around =) is that wiring harness pretty standard? I'll need to go find that. Dang I need a dremmel and a sodder...or an alternate housing.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 PM
RAR

ordered everything from crutchfield =) speaker + harness + a waterproof speaker baffle to keep water from getting in there.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Ah good, you're still around =) is that wiring harness pretty standard? I'll need to go find that. Dang I need a dremmel and a sodder...or an alternate housing.
I actually got the harnesses from Best Buy. They were half the price of the Crutchfield ones. But I see you ordered everything together. Proabably easier that way. If you ever need any more I'd go to BB.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:02 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
ordered everything from crutchfield =) ....waterproof speaker baffle to keep water from getting in there....
Hmm....that might not be such a good idea. If it actually seals the back of the speaker or creates a large surface behind the driver where there isn't already one in the door panel then you will probably dramatically change the way the drivers sound.

Free air drivers are often a crap shoot anyway since every installation varies. Doors, trunks, interior panels all differ but one thing is for sure...they have an interior volume considerably larger than the baffles. If you cause the speaker like this to be to be placed in a small enclosure (like if the baffle seals or even comes near sealing) you can change the response for the worse. If you place a surface very close behind them (like stuffing the baffle in there ) that can cause some bad reflections that will also cause problems.

I'd say skip the baffles unless you know there is a moisture problem AND the drivers are paper cones. Since the 62.7is say they are "woven-glass-fiber woofer cone with hi-roll rubber surround" you should be fine w/o baffles. If they are the "XTC 6-1/2" Speaker Baffles" then it's not like they set you back to much.

I haven't been in the door panel but if it is like other Honda's I've seen there is probably already a "drip guard" in there over the top half of the cutout.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:43 AM
RAR

gotcha, ok maybe i'll hold back on the baffles, thanks adobeman
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking into the doing the same upgrade on my speakers, and I saw those baffles on Crutchfield's website also. I prefer to have some form of protection over the top and around the sides of the speaker that would keep it safe from water, but I agree that having an airtight baffle around the speaker will limit the motion of the driver. I noticed on Crutchfield's website though that alot of people were simply cutting the baffle to allow air to move freely, but still provide protection from water. Just a thought...it seems like a good compromise...
Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by NateWithOCD
I'm looking into the doing the same upgrade on my speakers, and I saw those baffles on Crutchfield's website also. I prefer to have some form of protection over the top and around the sides of the speaker that would keep it safe from water, but I agree that having an airtight baffle around the speaker will limit the motion of the driver. I noticed on Crutchfield's website though that alot of people were simply cutting the baffle to allow air to move freely, but still provide protection from water. Just a thought...it seems like a good compromise...
Interesting. Cutting it how? slits in the back? cutting the back off?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Tint The Windshield

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So what model numbers exactly do you have for all your speakers Lee?

I wanna do either those infinity speakers, see how it sounds, and then probably replace the sub but still install it in the same oem sub spot.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Cruisin'

Interesting. Cutting it how? slits in the back? cutting the back off?
They were cutting the bottom of the baffle out to allow the speaker to "breathe"

In response to AcurasGhost, I've got the Infinity Kappa 62.5 speakers for my four main speakers, the Infinity Kappa 32.7CF for my center, and the Infinity Reference 1011T tweeters.

There were come cuts which needed to be made on the little plastic cage that holds the two front door speakers, and holes needed to be drilled for all the rear deck speakers, in addition to some cuts that needed to be made on the center speaker holder.

I replaced the subwoofer with a JL 8W3V2 subwoofer, in the OEM location, and all speakers (except the tweeters) were connected to the car with Honda wiring harnesses that I bought at the car audio shop at Best Buy (the brand name was Metra). I didn't want to have to cut off any connectors...

After the upgrade, the system sounded very good, but there still wasn't enough bass for my taste, so I added an Infinity Basslink in the trunk, in the space behind the left wheel well. It fit PERFECTLY, and it added alot to the system.

I also Dynamatted all the doors, underneath the rear seat, the rear deck, and most of the trunk (I ran out when I got to the trunk, but by then I was so sick of Dynamatting that I didn't care.)

Now, the system sounds great! With DVD-A it's amazing. The center speaker is still a little bit light on the mid and low end, but hey, it's a small speaker...

Let me know if you have any other questions...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Exclamation Here is a related question for you...

I am looking at replacing the stock speakers in my 06 TL with my Alpine speakers from a previous install in another car. How do I get the speaker grills off the door. Silly question but I dont want to damage the grills in the process.

Thanks,

Also, I have a JL enclosed sub that I want to hook up. Can I just run off the wiring running to the stock sub mounted in the trunk or do I have to run an external amp?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by pennk12
I am looking at replacing the stock speakers in my 06 TL with my Alpine speakers from a previous install in another car. How do I get the speaker grills off the door. Silly question but I dont want to damage the grills in the process.

Thanks,

Also, I have a JL enclosed sub that I want to hook up. Can I just run off the wiring running to the stock sub mounted in the trunk or do I have to run an external amp?
regarding the door grill - you take the whole door off. There should be a diy around here...maybe in the kpm module install thread.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you guys think of these speakers instead of the Infinity 62.5?
Infinity 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers with Plus One Cones (Pair)

Model: REF6022I

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166234894507