Seemless iPod Integration Is Coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mylriahd
!! Holy crap, I knew I should have read the contract closer...
LOL, nice....

-X-
Old 06-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

!! Holy crap, I knew I should have read the contract closer...
sooo....any source code you wanna release???
Old 06-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caball88
sooo....any source code you wanna release???
Sure, if you want "Hello World."

Instead I'll try to be a resource for BT help on the smartphones and PPC's. Sound like a plan? (Thats the team I work with)
Old 06-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Sure, if you want "Hello World."

Instead I'll try to be a resource for BT help on the smartphones and PPC's. Sound like a plan? (Thats the team I work with)
that sounds pretty cool.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Racer

No - Bluetooth cannot handle enough data for good quality audio.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Boltjames,
I saw this alpine interface preview several months ago. Do you have any idea when it will actually be released, and what the price is? I bought an IPOD, and a 2004 alpine headunit and am just waiting for this interface to be released.

JBM: This interface was made to be used with 2004 alpine headunits, and uses the dock connector to transmit info, and is supposed to show id tag info on the headunits.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company_in...0804_ipad.html
Old 06-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Spoke to my car stereo install guy today and he told me that Blitzsafe and Soundgate are both working on harnesses for the '04 TL that will allow ID3 display, folder display, and navigation views on the LCD screen. Physical navigation will not be permissible on the touchscreen; will happen via the radio's buttons.

Said he's already purchased both of them in my name and that I'll be among the first to know when they're made available.....he anticipates the end of the summer.

As for the Alpine version, our radios are 100% not AI-Net compatible, so the best Alpine can do is match what the Blitzsafe and Soundgate ones will do and those will be out first...

BJ
Old 06-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boltjames
Said he's already purchased both of them in my name and that I'll be among the first to know when they're made available.....he anticipates the end of the summer.
Please keep us up to date on this, Boltjames- I'm very interested in getting some sort of jukebox type device with song title/album (ID3 tag) display integrated into my stock Navi monitor. Even though I'm not an iPod fan, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it integrated well. And if you don't mind me asking, what is your installer estimating these interfaces might cost?

Here in Canada, we don't get the XM radio (since XM radio service isn't available here legally). I'm hopeful that *not* having XM radio might make it easier to hook in something in a "stock compatible" fashion.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Safety Car

Spoke to my car stereo install guy today and he told me that Blitzsafe and Soundgate are both working on harnesses for the '04 TL that will allow ID3 display, folder display, and navigation views on the LCD screen. Physical navigation will not be permissible on the touchscreen; will happen via the radio's buttons.

As for the Alpine version, our radios are 100% not AI-Net compatible, so the best Alpine can do is match what the Blitzsafe and Soundgate ones will do and those will be out first...

BJ
man i hope this is true, if there is any more info on this please keep us up to date.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Could someone confirm the presence of an AI-net input? I was thinking fo adding a DVD changer and doing the NAVI-to-DVD conversion and Alpine makes a great DVD changer.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by tlguy99
Could someone confirm the presence of an AI-net input? I was thinking fo adding a DVD changer and doing the NAVI-to-DVD conversion and Alpine makes a great DVD changer.
Our systems do not have AI-Net inputs. Alpine makes only the nav DVD drives and screen; Panasonic makes the rest.

BJ
Old 06-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by kadams64
Please keep us up to date on this, Boltjames- I'm very interested in getting some sort of jukebox type device with song title/album (ID3 tag) display integrated into my stock Navi monitor. Even though I'm not an iPod fan, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it integrated well. And if you don't mind me asking, what is your installer estimating these interfaces might cost?

Here in Canada, we don't get the XM radio (since XM radio service isn't available here legally). I'm hopeful that *not* having XM radio might make it easier to hook in something in a "stock compatible" fashion.
According to my dealer, that's what the Soundgate and Blitzsafe solutions (and likely Alpine's too) will do. Allow a driver to see (note, I said "see") the folder name, artist name, and track name on the screen specifically from the iPod as an input drive.

Limitations:

These are being made to support the iPod and only the iPod. It's the world's best selling MP3 player and that's what the major interface suppliers are focusing on. No iPod, no on-screen display in the TL. At least not in 2004/5.

Touch-screen is a non factor. No way to get the screen to recognize the touch to, say, open a folder or click on album cover art.....can't be done. All controls are done via the radio/CD changer controls on the radio (or steering wheel) itself.

Look at your nav screen in XM radio mode. Strip away the six rendered buttons. Where it says "station" it will say "folder". The artist name and song title will remain. If we're lucky, we'll get LP name and maybe (God willing) the LP cover thumbnail

BJ
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

simply put:
SIGN ME UP!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Pembroke Pines, FL

Originally Posted by Fionn
I don't have a problem with MP3s. I just have a problem with corperations trying to screw people for more money. I can download songs off the internet for free.. and make a MP3 album with my Sony MP3 player.. Now if they add that capability in a vehicle.. I dont care about that.. I still don't want to use an Apple iPod though.. I rather pick what I want to use.. not be forced to use Apples policy on music
But, you don't have a problem trying to screw corporations out of their money... However, the iPod plays MP3s without regard to copyright. You can pirate music to your heart's delight.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input BJ.

I've never been a fan of stock audio systems, but the system in the '04 TL isn't bad at all. However, I'd LOVE to be able to replace/modify stuff. My biggest desire was to throw a hard drive type unit in for MP3's, so it sounds like this iPod connector will do it.

Do you have any info on the companies or your car audio source we can access over the internet (eg, web pages, etc)?

Thanks,

- Grit
Old 06-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Grit
Thanks for all the input BJ.

I've never been a fan of stock audio systems, but the system in the '04 TL isn't bad at all. However, I'd LOVE to be able to replace/modify stuff. My biggest desire was to throw a hard drive type unit in for MP3's, so it sounds like this iPod connector will do it.

Do you have any info on the companies or your car audio source we can access over the internet (eg, web pages, etc)?

Thanks,

- Grit
Sure....

www.soundgate.com

www.blitzsafe.com

www.alpine.com

www.ipodlounge.com

Be patient....it's coming. Just like our Verizon bluetooth phone

BJ
Old 07-10-2004, 07:52 PM
10th Gear

More on DENISON Solution

I just joined this fabulous website - I'm a new TL owner (although a 15-year Honda vet). :P

I went through the order process to see what's what. Good new/bad news depending on your make/yr of Acura:

<snip>

iceLink v1.1 R2 for iPod and certain 1992-1997 Honda/Acura

Compatibility:
Acura 1998-2002 3.0/3.2, 1998-2002 Integra, 2001-2004 MDX, 1998-2003 TL 2.5/3.2 (w/o Nav), Honda 1998-2002 Accord, 1998-2002 Civic, 1999-2003 CRV, 2003-2004 Element, 2000-2003 Insight, 1999-2003 Odyssey (w/o Nav), 2003-2004 Pilot, 1998-2002 Prelude, 2000-2003 S2000

Details:
This kit connects to the back of the radio. Installation requires removal of radio. Specific radio removal keys may be required. Radio may require security code after installation. 3ft cable requires iPod cradle placement near the dash. Professional installation recommended!

iceLink v1.1 R3 for iPod and certain 2003+ Honda/Acura

Compatibility:
Acura 2004 TSX
Honda 2003-2004 Accord, 2004 S2000

Details:
This kit connects to the back of the radio. Installation requires removal of radio. Specific radio removal keys may be required. Radio may require security code after installation. 3ft cable requires iPod cradle placement near the dash. Professional installation recommended!

Kit does not include vehicle mount. For professional mounting, please select one of the proclip mounts from the related items list.

There has been some issues identified with Acura 2004 TL compatibility, until it is resolved, we'll not ship this kit for the TLs.

<snip>

I'm going to contact them for a status and post a follow-up ...

KF
Old 07-13-2004, 03:50 AM
Intermediate

CBs! Thanks for checking it out; can't wait to see what you discover.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Racer

Just wait a few months and I believe that there will be a bluetooth solution. Wires will become a thing of the past...
Old 07-13-2004, 10:10 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by RhodeRunner
Just wait a few months and I believe that there will be a bluetooth solution. Wires will become a thing of the past...
I’m not sure Bluetooth will solve this issue as you (we) hope. Yes, the vehicle is able to accept a Bluetooth signal; but even Bluetooth enabled audio sources, as is the case with certain cellular phones, are routed through the front speakers ONLY. It’s like a partial audio integration, at best.

Unless you are talking about installing a new Bluetooth enabled receiver (HU). And that's a whole new issue altogether.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by yano_jl
I’m not sure Bluetooth will solve this issue as you (we) hope. Yes, the vehicle is able to accept a Bluetooth signal; but even Bluetooth enabled audio sources, as is the case with certain cellular phones, are routed through the front speakers ONLY. It’s like a partial audio integration, at best.

Unless you are talking about installing a new Bluetooth enabled receiver (HU). And that's a whole new issue altogether.
I think that Apple and BMW have missed the boat. Who wants to deal with plugging their Ipods into their cars? Almost every aspect of technology in modern society which can go wireless has or will go wireless. Your MP3 player will be no expection.

If there were a bluetooth enabled receiver it would work with ALL bluetooth enabled MP3 devices. When I saw the BMW commercial for the Ipod/BMW integration I scratched my head. Why bind yourself to just ONE device like the Ipod? Once the first commercially viable bluetooth enable receiver hits the market watch out...
Old 07-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I think that Apple and BMW have missed the boat. Who wants to deal with plugging their Ipods into their cars?
Huh? Universal application of Bluetooth is many moons away. The iPod is a cool device in and of itself. The ability to carry your tunes with you and be able to have them integrated with your car audio system is a great feature. Opening the glove box and plugging it in is no harder than changing a CD. How about having to reboot your car everytime Bluetooth locks up? That's not terribly convenient either.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BarryH
Huh? Universal application of Bluetooth is many moons away. The iPod is a cool device in and of itself. The ability to carry your tunes with you and be able to have them integrated with your car audio system is a great feature. Opening the glove box and plugging it in is no harder than changing a CD. How about having to reboot your car everytime Bluetooth locks up? That's not terribly convenient either.
How long is many moons? All I am saying is that BMW has wed itself to iPod. There are already bluetooth MP3 players on the market. There will be many different manufacturers that make bluetooth MP3 players, just like there are many different bluetooth phones. The key is that you will be able to use devices made by MULTIPLE manufacturers via bluetooth once there are receivers which use this technology.

My problem with iPods (and Macintosh in general) is that they are overpriced. There are competing devices that are much less expenseive.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

How long is many moons? All I am saying is that BMW has wed itself to iPod. There are already bluetooth MP3 players on the market. There will be many different manufacturers that make bluetooth MP3 players, just like there are many different bluetooth phones. The key is that you will be able to use devices made by MULTIPLE manufacturers via bluetooth once there are receivers which use this technology.

My problem with iPods (and Macintosh in general) is that they are overpriced. There are competing devices that are much less expenseive.
Looked at another way, BMW offers a solution today that allows owners to seamlessly integrate their hand held music with their car audio system. Does Acura? The Bluetooth phone interface won't do anyone any good unless Acura introduces a backwardly compatible Bluetooth audio interface for '04 (and presumably '05) owners. If Acura comes up with a spiffy Bluetooth solution in '06, early owners are (potentially) out of luck while BMW owners will have had a solution for two years. In technology, time is sometimes as important as elegance.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

does anyone know what brand reciever acura uses? If by any chance it is Alpine and has an Ai-Net input check this out...

http://www.alpine-usa.com/ipod/

i just got the email today.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oguju
does anyone know what brand reciever acura uses? If by any chance it is Alpine and has an Ai-Net input check this out...

http://www.alpine-usa.com/ipod/

i just got the email today.
Go 'way back to the beginning of this thread, and I think you'll see some comments from Boltjames on this exact topic. Yes, the headunit and navigation system is OEM'd from Alpine. No, it does not have an AI-Net input.

Speaking of Boltjames...any updates on the other (Blitzsafe, Soundgate) interfaces you referred to back in May/June?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by kadams64
Go 'way back to the beginning of this thread, and I think you'll see some comments from Boltjames on this exact topic. Yes, the headunit and navigation system is OEM'd from Alpine. No, it does not have an AI-Net input.

Speaking of Boltjames...any updates on the other (Blitzsafe, Soundgate) interfaces you referred to back in May/June?
Hey Kelly.....no update yet. As stated, my install guy has me on the list with actual PO's for the first of any of these that come available.

I'll post here as soon as I get the call. That and my V710 Bluetooth phone.

BJ
Old 07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Hey Kelly.....no update yet. As stated, my install guy has me on the list with actual PO's for the first of any of these that come available.

I'll post here as soon as I get the call. That and my V710 Bluetooth phone.

BJ

BJ, this is out of topic, but please keep us updated... thanks.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:13 AM
Instructor

Didn't I hear rumors about the 05TL having an i-pod capability(ie docking station and interface)? Any more info on that?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Cruisin'

Is this what everyone is talking about, or something different. It's a clip from The Dallas Morning News by Tech writer Clayton Harrison. It was originally published May 27th but my local paper picked it up on June 19th.

Headline reads: Nifty add-ons help iPod expand its horizons.

Under the section heading, Car stereo accessory:

...More advanced audiophiles have car systems with stereo input jacks. Car sudio company Alpine Electronics of America Inc. plans to release a stereo head designed for the iPod. this summer. And TEN Technology has hinted at plans to use Bluetooth wireless networking to connect the iPod to the car stereo....
Old 07-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Cruisin'

First, a correction. It's Crayton not Clayton.

Also, I'm curious about the discussion of the input jacks with XM enabled. I believe there was talk that if you had some type of interface with the unit and it had XM, them the XM was taking up the only available jacks. If that's true what about a simple A-B switch?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Intermediate

Not sure where I found it, but the TL head unit is from Panasonic. The DVD nav is still Alpine.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 AM
JBM
Intermediate

Bluetooth . . .

I disagree regarding the use of Bluetooth and the iPod. I think in time (a long time) Bluetooth will be ready for primetime audio. But currently the max data stream from bluetooth devices is not capable of sending a quality stereo signal. For phones, which require just a monaural signal, it's no big deal. But for stereo sound, it's a strain. To use the TL's Bluetooth compatibility with a music format that's already destructively compressed (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc), you would have horrible sound coming from the ELS speakers. By horrible, I mean a lot of dropped signal and loss of signal quality.

I think BMW/Apple solution is the best currently. It allows seemless integration into the factory unit. I can, on some level, understand why someone would criticise it on the fact it only works with the iPod. But seeing as the iPod holds 80% of the MP3 player share and is the most elegant device, it seems logical to go with Apple. If you don't believe me, then think of it this way, why are all other MP3 manufacturer's having to say that their device is just as good as the iPod, whereas Apple has to say nothing.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Any updates on the soundgate, blitzsafe products BJ ?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

1) The Radio is PANASONIC, NOT ALPINE

2) The NAVI is Alpine

3) I dont mean to be rude, but I think RhodeRunner was talking out of his ass previously. Sure its possible for BT to be used as an Audio only feed, and that would be very easy to make universally compatible. However that idea is so old its not even funny. How many people JUST want an extra audio feed? The FM Adapter units already do this. It might not be the best signal, but its been done. Some cars (Honda Element) even come with a Line IN jack o the dash. BMW (Someone correct me if wrong) chose to go with a Hard wired iPOD solution because they are NOT simply tapping the line out on the iPOD. They are using the Data connector on the bottom of the unit to display things like Song Title and other information normally found on the iPOD screen, on the car's Radio Display. This level of integration is IMPOSSIBLE to make a universal standard right now since all the different MP3 players out there have different interfaces (both electrically and control wise). The best bet for this type of integration would be to simply offer a USB port and treat ALL MP3 players as Removeable Media and then have the Car's Stereo do the MP3 Decoding and Display of the information on the screen. This doesnt seem like it should be that difficult since they already make CD MP3 players in Car Decks. Simply replacing the interface between the decoder and the CD with a new interface that supports an external storage source. So if you wanted to use BT as a networking standard to allow the car to download the MP3 as an entire file, then we might have something. But "Remote Control" with a Stereo Audio Feed over BT just aint gonna happen. (PS: using BT for networking would still require some form of interface that attaches to the MP3 player in order for the MP3 player to be esentially "network attached", so you may as well stick with a wired solution using the USB Cable standard)
Old 10-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Racer

will this work for 03 TL's? were and what is the name of the harness that connects the Ipod to the Alpine set?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Killfox
I just joined this fabulous website - I'm a new TL owner (although a 15-year Honda vet). :P

I went through the order process to see what's what. Good new/bad news depending on your make/yr of Acura:

<snip>

iceLink v1.1 R2 for iPod and certain 1992-1997 Honda/Acura

Compatibility:
Acura 1998-2002 3.0/3.2, 1998-2002 Integra, 2001-2004 MDX, 1998-2003 TL 2.5/3.2 (w/o Nav), Honda 1998-2002 Accord, 1998-2002 Civic, 1999-2003 CRV, 2003-2004 Element, 2000-2003 Insight, 1999-2003 Odyssey (w/o Nav), 2003-2004 Pilot, 1998-2002 Prelude, 2000-2003 S2000

Details:

iceLink v1.1 R3 for iPod and certain 2003+ Honda/Acura

Compatibility:
Acura 2004 TSX
Honda 2003-2004 Accord, 2004 S2000

Details:

Kit does not include vehicle mount. For professional mounting, please select one of the proclip mounts from the related items list.

There has been some issues identified with Acura 2004 TL compatibility, until it is resolved, we'll not ship this kit for the TLs.

<snip>

I'm going to contact them for a status and post a follow-up ...

KF
I contacted DenisonUSA about the icelink for the 04TL and here is the reply I received...

--------------------------------------
Hi,

we are hoping to have a solution by early next year, there are very few requests, so it is low on the priority list.

Best Regards

Support.

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:32:43 -0600, cullal wrote:

> This is an enquiry e-mail from cullal>

>Is the icelink available for the 2004 Acura TL with Navigation? I did not see the 2004 >Acura TL with Navigation on the list of supported cars.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

5800 Views and Dension is saying there is little intrest?

This is the reply I got from Dension today - 10/19/04

"Hi,

there is not ETA on when, but we will make a kit that supports your vehicle.
we will keep you posted.

Best Regards

Support."

If we want this any quicker we need to become the squeaky wheel, or in the TL's case the rattling dashboard.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

We need to show that there's ample demand out here. I just sent them my request. Here's their contact info:

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...ntact&Itemid=3

Copy and paste in your browser and let them know there's an untapped market for a high-quality iPod solution for the '04/'05 TL with and w/o NAV. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Racer

I sent my request in a week or two ago. I got back the same response from them that others have received.

Quick Reply: Seemless iPod Integration Is Coming