Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seemless iPod Integration Is Coming

I can say no more.

BJ

Old 06-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
how do u know that will work w/the acura navi?
Old 06-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by unsure
how do u know that will work w/the acura navi?
I don't, but my car stereo install guy believes that there's an Alpine AI-Net input on the TL's nav unit. If there is, there's a good chance this puppy will get us where we want to be. Maybe not folders as such on the nav screen, but the ability to use the buttons on the radio and/or the tuning knob to access the iPod could very well be right around the corner.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 01:37 AM
Team Anthracite

iRiver > iPod
Old 06-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iPod rules!!
Old 06-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
I don't, but my car stereo install guy believes that there's an Alpine AI-Net input on the TL's nav unit. If there is, there's a good chance this puppy will get us where we want to be. Maybe not folders as such on the nav screen, but the ability to use the buttons on the radio and/or the tuning knob to access the iPod could very well be right around the corner.

BJ
Welcome back and thanks for the great news . I just hope they don't cost a fortune as I need one for my MDX as well.

Also it looks like it will only work with a 3G Ipod so I amy have yet another reason to upgrade.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by criss
Welcome back and thanks for the great news . I just hope they don't cost a fortune as I need one for my MDX as well.

Also it looks like it will only work with a 3G Ipod so I amy have yet another reason to upgrade.
Thanks.....good to be back, but don't buy a 3G just yet.....let me confirm that we've got an AI-Net bus in our TL headunits first. But then again, even if we don't, it's much better than that iRiver thing so go ahead and buy 2.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 08:52 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Price? My FM modulator sounds fine so I probably won't be buying that, unless the price is very reasonable.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:56 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Price? My FM modulator sounds fine so I probably won't be buying that, unless the price is very reasonable.
Yeah, it would be splitting hairs to hear the difference between the powered mainlined FM Modulator and the AI-Net solution (IMHO) at highway speed, but it is hopeful that having artist / playlist navigation and on-screen ID3 tagging is the reason to spend (I'm guessing) $300 on this Alpine hardware.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 08:59 AM

But I have artist/playlist navigation on my iPod :P

Is there a headunit that comes with this or something?

All I do right now is have the belkin (I believe) cupholder mount to hold my ipod facing me in the car. If I ever need the cupholder I just pull it out and put it in the back.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

If there is an AI-Net port on the headunit the upcoming SIRIUS tuner from Alpine may work in the TL.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by GaleForce
But I have artist/playlist navigation on my iPod :P

Is there a headunit that comes with this or something?

All I do right now is have the belkin (I believe) cupholder mount to hold my ipod facing me in the car. If I ever need the cupholder I just pull it out and put it in the back.
In theory, you'd simply hide your iPod in the trunk (or glove box, or console, etc) and its only function would be as a hard drive. All the navigation would be done from the OEM Alpine head unit (nav screen and/or current XM display on dash) with no touching of the iPod necessary.

Some benefits: don't worry about hiding the iPod every time you park the car, no messy visible wires, no need for a cupholder sacrifice for a holder, no fumbling for tiny sensitive iPod controls on the cigarette pack sized iPod, etc.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the news, BJ. If it's reasonably priced, I'll strongly consider it.

(Now, off to the Canton meet.....)
Old 06-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Racer

Not sure if we have a AI-Net port in the TL, I believe the MDXs do but then again they use the apline disc changer so they may have built one in.

It would be awesome to get the titles on the screen.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

Very nice. Let us know if it works for you. And welcome back, BJ.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
Thanks.....good to be back, but don't buy a 3G just yet.....let me confirm that we've got an AI-Net bus in our TL headunits first. But then again, even if we don't, it's much better than that iRiver thing so go ahead and buy 2.

BJ
Sad part is I have bought 4 third gen IPods but yet I still have a second gen , The wife, daugher and neice got them, the neice even got a second after hers was stolen.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
USC YQUE

Ahh Apple.

Originally Posted by criss
Sad part is I have bought 4 third gen IPods but yet I still have a second gen , The wife, daugher and neice got them, the neice even got a second after hers was stolen.
Fourth generation iPods are expected 4th quarter of this year. Rumour has it they will have a 50 GB capacity; somewhat updated OS; Video-out capacity; and will (finally) sport a colour LCD screen.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

i really hope our Nav's have the AI input. i would pick this up in a heart heartbeat if it works.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:24 PM
JBM
Intermediate

iPod Integration already exists and is available for purchase NOW!

Hey everyone,

Well, I discovered this website a couple of months ago as I've been searching for a new car. I'm in the process of purchasing and waiting for delivery of a new 2004 TL. But here's the real reason why I'm posting now.

You can get something that will integrate your iPod to your navi on your TL or most luxuary cars. It's called the ICE-Link and located at www.densionusa.com. This cabling system will allow your iPod to connect through your stereo system without FM modulation. It will also allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or the steering wheel controls, which in my opinion is one of the great features of this product.

Another great feature is that it uses the 3G iPod/iPod mini's line out to feed the audio into your head unit. Which means the volume is only controlled through the head unit. If you're wondering how this matters . . . if you've ever used an FM transmitter with your iPod (e.g. iTrip from Griffith Technologies, which is a great product), you'll notice that you'll have to turn up both the volume on the iPod and the head unit to get a good sound. The problem then comes up if you switch to a CD or the radio and then your ears are blasted with those inputs. By using the line out from the iPod the volume is consistent when switching from input to input.

There is a caveat. If you have the Navi, you have to purachase a separate harness to connect the iPod. The harness itself is $30 and the instructions to connect it are on the Dension website FAQ.

Also, if you want a review of this product, www.ipodlounge.com has a great one.

Alright, keep up the great posts.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by JBM
Hey everyone,

Well, I discovered this website a couple of months ago as I've been searching for a new car. I'm in the process of purchasing and waiting for delivery of a new 2004 TL. But here's the real reason why I'm posting now.

You can get something that will integrate your iPod to your navi on your TL or most luxuary cars. It's called the ICE-Link and located at www.densionusa.com. This cabling system will allow your iPod to connect through your stereo system without FM modulation. It will also allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or the steering wheel controls, which in my opinion is one of the great features of this product.

Another great feature is that it uses the 3G iPod/iPod mini's line out to feed the audio into your head unit. Which means the volume is only controlled through the head unit. If you're wondering how this matters . . . if you've ever used an FM transmitter with your iPod (e.g. iTrip from Griffith Technologies, which is a great product), you'll notice that you'll have to turn up both the volume on the iPod and the head unit to get a good sound. The problem then comes up if you switch to a CD or the radio and then your ears are blasted with those inputs. By using the line out from the iPod the volume is consistent when switching from input to input.

There is a caveat. If you have the Navi, you have to purachase a separate harness to connect the iPod. The harness itself is $30 and the instructions to connect it are on the Dension website FAQ.

Also, if you want a review of this product, www.ipodlounge.com has a great one.

Went down this road with my car install guy....please re-read this from the ICE site:

ICELink requires disconnecting of trunk or glove compartment mounted cd changers, however does not effect the operation of factory in-dash single or multi cd changers, but may not be compatible with factory satellite or DVD modules for some vehicles. Please read compatibility remarks on vehicle specific kit.

According to my installer, the TL's integrated XM radio is a problem for this kit. In essence, you need to trade the XM for the iPod. Additionally, this unit does not feature folder (artist) navigation in the TL. You can use your steering wheel's skip button.....if you like to hit it 3,298 times to get to your Steely Dan tracks.

If they can get it to work, the Alpine OEM solution is going to be far far better for daily use.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Fourth generation iPods are expected 4th quarter of this year. Rumour has it they will have a 50 GB capacity; somewhat updated OS; Video-out capacity; and will (finally) sport a colour LCD screen.
Wow. Will definitely want to start saving for one :P

Sounds awesome.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

So I'm assuming those with non-navi are stuck with wired FM modulators to get the best performance?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLover
So I'm assuming those with non-navi are stuck with wired FM modulators to get the best performance?
Not necessarily. Let's summarize the levels of happiness from worst to best:

Worst: Casette Tape Adapter. Hissy.

Better: Wireless FM Transmitter (iTrip). Inconsistent quality, signal drift as you drive.

Better: Powered FM Modulator. Great quality, navigation through iPod only, pricey install.

Better: Aftermarket Harness. Creates faux aux input, great sound, disables XM radio completely, navigation still through iPod only.

Better: Alpine OEM Harness Type A: Creates a new input, no loss of XM, basic navigation (song skip) via FWD / BACK buttons on radio, no ID3 display.

Better: Alpine OEM Harness Type B: Creates a new input, no loss of XM, basic navigation (song skip) via FWD / BACK buttons on radio, has ID3 song / artist display on current XM display next to clock.

Best: Alpine OEM Harness Type C: Creates a new input, no loss of XM, full navigation through folders, on screen LCD display with artist name and LP art thumbnails.

My gut tells me that we're never going to see the Type C but that the Type A and/or Type B will be a reality.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 07:18 PM

Type C could be possible with a headunit designed by Alpine.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Instructor

If Apple would put Bluetooth into their IPODs, this would resolve everything.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by greenpelikan
If Apple would put Bluetooth into their IPODs, this would resolve everything.
Ah, nope.

Then we'd be relying on Acura to enable Bluetooth audio integration on non-integrated vehicles. The odds are far, far better that an aggressive car stereo company will reverse-integrate than an auto manufacturer who put Bluetooth on the car because of lucrative contracts to do so.

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Racer

Our stereos are made by Panasonic, so how can an Alpine AiNet hook up to it?

-Chad
Old 06-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I6

The navi is made by Alpine.
If the AI-Net port is on the dvd-rom drive in the trunk than it would much easier to install. But it's probably located behind the navi.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SLVR04TL6PD
Our stereos are made by Panasonic, so how can an Alpine AiNet hook up to it?

-Chad
i am skeptical about the AINet input as well. i know alpine makes the Nav software but it does not have to use the AINet to connect to the screen. i had the alpine nav unit in my last car and it had a RGB cable that was the video output and an rca jack for the audio. there was an option for the AINet output but was not necessary.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:29 AM
JBM
Intermediate

iPods and such . . .

I'm not really sure if ID3 tags will be possible with any solution. All the connections integrate with the iPod's line out, which does not send any info regarding the tracks ID3 tags or album art.

Oh, by the way, in terms of 4th generation iPods, the current rumors are that 60 GB will be the max as Hitachi has recently released this size drive (they make the 1.8" hard drives for the iPods) and Apple has placed a large order already for them. And the new iPods will most likely share the same type of scroll wheel design found on the iPod mini.

Just an FYI.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by JBM
Hey everyone,

Just an update......I emailed Denison about the ICE link kit for the iPod and received this reply this evening:

Dear Jim,

Unfortunately, the Ice link will not support the 2004 Acura TL radio at this time. We are working on a kit for your application in the meantime.

If you would like to be placed on our waiting list, we will need the following information from you:

First/Last Name:
Year:
Make:
Model:
iPod Generation:
Daytime Phone Number:
Email address:

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Dension USA | Shipping and Sales Team
-------------------------------------------
Phone 562.595.xxxx Mo - Fri 9am to 6pm PST
Fax 562.684.xxxx
Web www.densionusa.com
"Let the Music be with You!"

So.........it seems we're going to have to wait out Alpine for the integration we're looking for.

BJ
Old 06-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Advanced

I won't give apple a cent of my money.. I rather download whatever song I want for 2.95 a month and move songs to a diffrent folder, or just going to some India site and using their service.. If a band puts out a good album.. I'll buy it.. But half the songs on most albums suck.. So they are not worth 12 bucks.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:18 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Fionn
I won't give apple a cent of my money.. I rather download whatever song I want for 2.95 a month and move songs to a diffrent folder, or just going to some India site and using their service.. If a band puts out a good album.. I'll buy it.. But half the songs on most albums suck.. So they are not worth 12 bucks.
You do realize that you can put 'basic' MP3's on the iPod and you're not restricted in any way towards using only iTunes material, correct?

BJ
Old 06-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

yeah the only money you spend with apple is actually on the hardware itself. there are other services that you can subscribe to for downloading mp3's legally. or you can go the "other" route. you can even take the CD's that you bought and turn them into mp3's yourself so you can load it into your ipod. i agree with you about offshoring and share similar beliefs about jobs being taken away from americans. but don't deny yourself of the technology that mp3's provide.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Advanced

I don't have a problem with MP3s. I just have a problem with corperations trying to screw people for more money. I can download songs off the internet for free.. and make a MP3 album with my Sony MP3 player.. Now if they add that capability in a vehicle.. I dont care about that.. I still don't want to use an Apple iPod though.. I rather pick what I want to use.. not be forced to use Apples policy on music
Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

I don't have a problem with MP3s. I just have a problem with corperations trying to screw people for more money. I can download songs off the internet for free.. and make a MP3 album with my Sony MP3 player.. Now if they add that capability in a vehicle.. I dont care about that.. I still don't want to use an Apple iPod though.. I rather pick what I want to use.. not be forced to use Apples policy on music
not quite getting you there? you understand that the ipod is just like any other mp3 device right? you can download songs for "free" and upload them to the device just like you do for your sony mp3 player.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Yes, I understand that I just have a problem with apple Ipod and Apple.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Team Anthracite

Yes, I understand that I just have a problem with apple Ipod and Apple.
Wow, I work at Microsoft and *I'm* not that militant.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
Wow, I work at Microsoft and *I'm* not that militant.
oh no you work at microsoft? you know that you are going straight to hell right?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by caball88
oh no you work at microsoft? you know that you are going straight to hell right?
!! Holy crap, I knew I should have read the contract closer...

Quick Reply: Seemless iPod Integration Is Coming