Replaced rear speaker + added 10" sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
By the way i have had the Alpine "junk" amp installed in my previous vehicle with my ID CTX components and aftermarket HU and it sounded great extremely clear signal no noise at all so clearly there is something wrong with the way you have it set up. But then again im not here to debate the quality of the amp.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 08-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
lol.
i dont wont to be offtop, but what does it means?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to add overall for this topic, i also would like to mention , if we talking about good and clear sound and stage effects, we aslo have to consider what type of media we playing. If we takling about DVD audio , yes we can have some differences, but if we playing mp3 compressed music , i dont think so ....
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
At no point did i say my front stage is stock, you are assuming that. I have aftermarket components. Thought that was pretty obvious that if im going through the trouble of adding an aftermarket amp id replace the stock speakers im adding it to.
my bad! that's what happens when you steal a thread
In your own you seemed to be worried about putting to much power to the stock speakers. I'm glad you've made up your mind to go aftermarket. So, a DSP would definitely help.

Last edited by abirvalg; 08-01-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by abirvalg
The stock signal is not bad, it has a dip around 1K that flattens out with volume.
An EQ would be needed less so to correct the stock signal, then to allow tweaking, especially if aftermarket speakers were part of the equation, as their response will differ from the stock.

You're cracking me up! You are about to power your stock front stage with a crappy little D class "noise antenna" and you're worried about EQ If this post had occurred in the tire section, it would go something like this "What brand UV protector should i use to extent the life of my tires? By the way, i drive over nails daily."

But then, i shouldn't say anything, as i LOVE learning from my own mistakes.
That dip at 1k is welcome.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That dip at 1k is welcome.
true, most people would EQ it that way anyway
Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by maska
to add overall for this topic, i also would like to mention , if we talking about good and clear sound and stage effects, we aslo have to consider what type of media we playing. If we takling about DVD audio , yes we can have some differences, but if we playing mp3 compressed music , i dont think so ....
You’ve unknowingly brought up a good point. You’re implying that the quality of the content would somehow rule out the debate, while in fact it’s the content type that may do it.

If you primarily listen to surround content, than time alignment becomes less important. The stage is all around you, so when choosing the components you’d want them similar and amplified equally.

The front stage you’ve been reading about here applies to stereo content, and in that it won’t matter which source. To the vast majority of car audio enthusiasts stereo is the main type of content. Surround sound by nature belongs to movies and thus theaters and living rooms. Many car makers have adopted it as a cheap way to attract buyers, you know them fancy words like “3d”, “nano” etc. For movies an effect of being present at the scene is very important and is a powerful tool to enhance the experience. At the same time hardly any music listener ever gets to enjoy the performance while standing in the middle of a band or an orchestra, unless you’re part of it of course. The standard for setting the sound stage to be “in front of the car” stems from a more common way of enjoying a musical performance, and that is by facing a performer.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
my bad! that's what happens when you steal a thread
In your own you seemed to be worried about putting to much power to the stock speakers. I'm glad you've made up your mind to go aftermarket. So, a DSP would definitely help.
You're right because when anybody asks a question in a thread people mistake aftermarket speakers for stock ones... Wait no nvm that was just you

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 08-01-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

You’ve unknowingly brought up a good point. You’re implying that the quality of the content would somehow rule out the debate, while in fact it’s the content type that may do it.

If you primarily listen to surround content, than time alignment becomes less important. The stage is all around you, so when choosing the components you’d want them similar and amplified equally.

The front stage you’ve been reading about here applies to stereo content, and in that it won’t matter which source. To the vast majority of car audio enthusiasts stereo is the main type of content. Surround sound by nature belongs to movies and thus theaters and living rooms. Many car makers have adopted it as a cheap way to attract buyers, you know them fancy words like “3d”, “nano” etc. For movies an effect of being present at the scene is very important and is a powerful tool to enhance the experience. At the same time hardly any music listener ever gets to enjoy the performance while standing in the middle of a band or an orchestra, unless you’re part of it of course. The standard for setting the sound stage to be “in front of the car” stems from a more common way of enjoying a musical performance, and that is by facing a performer.

Agreed. I always liked 5.1 but now that my stage is getting better (not pin point but where people sitting in the driver's seat are freaked out by where the music is coming from) I definitely like the time alignment and real stage over the 5.1.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by maska
I don't get what you're trying to say. Are you saying there's no audible difference from the typical mp3 compressed music vs less compressed? I can hear the difference, I've taken the blind test, and others can hear the difference from mp3s to CDs, etc on my system. I don't know if that's what you were talking about.

I'm not trying to offend you but have you heard a good setup with proper time alignment, separate left right eq, balance, etc? You can hear the precise location of each instrument, singer, etc, as it was during the recording and I'm talking stereo, not DVD-A. More precise IMO than just 5.1.

With the exception of the MS8, rear fill is all but impossible to implement and retain a good stage.

Last edited by I hate cars; 08-01-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
You're right because when anybody asks a question in a thread people mistake aftermarket speakers for stock ones... Wait no nvm that was just you
At what point in any of your threads or posts have you stated that you're using aftermarket speakers or have listed any? Some people do that when they ask questions related to their system. So, that left me with a better than 50/50 shot at guessing what you're using. I've made the wrong assumption, for which for sincerely apologize.