Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months (Part 2)

You guys really know how to frustrate a mod. I bet some of you could mess up a Polish wedding. (That's hard to do.)

I assume that some of you have a learning disability or are dislexic or something. Then again, maybe this thread is getting too long to read. Perhaps I should lock it and start a new one?

Use the telephone number that has been successful (800-682-4114). DON'T call the one on the letter you get. There are several fullfilment centers and they have different purposes and different scripts AND different telephone numbers.

Stick with the "script" that others have told you works. You guys are calling up and saying you heard about it on an Acura website? You could kill it for everyone. Eventually, XM is going to come on here, figure out they have a leak in the dike, and plug it.

It's obvious some of the XM ppl don't want to give you the deal until your subscription expires. Solution ? Wait until your subscription expires.

It doesn't matter if you had the $60 deal like I did. The special Z winback offer is to get ppl back who cancelled- whenever.

"My subscription expired (or is about to expire) and I got a letter with a special price offer of $77. I think I would like to take you up on that."

If they ask for the code on the letter, give them "zwinback". If they ask for any other code, they are asking for your RADIO code that came with the papers on the car. OR, you can get it off the radio on Channel Zero.

Those who follow the instuctions as given are 90% successful. The other 10% try again and get it on the 2nd or 3rd call. And some of you llamas just invent your own method and get shot down.

Go figure.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Xpditor. We needed a recap as the thread was getting long.

I do have two comments.

First, this thread was very helpful for those of us who purchased the TL in 2004 to get the original $60/yr offer. But it got confusing when posts from two different plan histories were being posted, without giving enough background information. In other words people whose original $60/yr plans expired, were asking about renewing using the $77/yr plan, in the same thread as people who just purchased a 2005 TL, and haven't been through their three month free offer. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think we got the same renewal offer letter.

Secondly, I certainly knew there was an option of letting the subscription expire. That's what I did the first time around to get the $60/yr offer. However, the letter they sent me implied that they would charge me their "low quarterly rate" of $38.85/three months AUTOMATICALLY. That scared me, so I ended up calling the telephone number in their letter.

Perhaps the "let your subscription expire" step should be amended to say "let your subscription expire and call the 800-682-4114 number. If you get the $77/yr offer, ask them to credit you any auto renewal fee they charged.

Since they gave me an additional 2 free months after calling the number in their letter, I will perform the "let your subscription expire" step.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

04 TL, followed script, thanks!

Thanks to all who posted again this year. Got the $60 year on my '04 TL last year and it expired last month. It still works though. Called today and followed the script. They asked what it was that I got in the mail. I said "some kind of a flyer". She said ok, never asked for the zwinback code, and 3 minutes later I was done. They did charge me "state and local taxes" though, so my total was $86.93. Still a great deal by any measure.

I'm getting a second XM for my wife for Christmas - some of you might be interested in the same. I found this http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm...-discount.html deal and it worked - $38.85 for the SkyFi2, car kit, and 3 months service. Going to call after Christmas and see if I can get it for $6.95 a month on the family plan. Anyway, great deal - costs > $100 just for the radio hardware normally.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by leo_2004
Thanks Xpditor. We needed a recap as the thread was getting long.

(clip)
Perhaps the "let your subscription expire" step should be amended to say "let your subscription expire and call the 800-682-4114 number. If you get the $77/yr offer, ask them to credit you any auto renewal fee they charged.

Since they gave me an additional 2 free months after calling the number in their letter, I will perform the "let your subscription expire" step.
Thanks for pointing that out, Leo. IIRC, we had an option of automatic renewal when we originally signed up. When I got the letter about the renewal (after 3 months+12 months), I called and stopped the auto renewal. I had the three months trial with my 2004 TL and then got the $60 deal. A few days after my subscription expired, I called in with "the script" as given here. It was problem free, however, they did need an upgrade on my credit card info as the expiration date had passed. Also, they added some taxes which took the charge slightly over $80.

It is easy to understand their doubts when you call in saying you got "Come Back to XM" flyer before you have gone away because your subscription is still active. Never-the-less, many reps have just given it out anyway with a delayed starting date. That's the part that depends on who you happen to connect with and whether or not they burned the toast or stepped on the cat that morning. :wink:

For those of you with ethical issues, remember that you would have gotten the "Come Back to XM" letter eventually anyway if you let your subscription expire. This just "XPdites" the process and you don't have to go long without it.

Good luck to all. And you're not really llamas. I just stepped on the cat yesterday.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Thanks Xpditor for the recap. My subscription ended last friday. I just called and got the deal. No problems. They did ask for the code tho. Glad it was this easy, Ive been missing xm for a week now.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

I own a 2004TL and coming due on the 1 year subscription @ $69 (w/taxes etc.). Just called 1 800 874-9786 and renewed at the $77! YEEEESSS! Just told the dude that came across the ZWINBACK deal for $77 and he went ahead and processed it. Asked me if I got a flyer or where I saw this....I told him I received a letter explaining that my service was coming due and it had the ZWINBACK promotion for $77 on it......HE SAID..."Great!"
Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Secondly, I certainly knew there was an option of letting the subscription expire. That's what I did the first time around to get the $60/yr offer. However, the letter they sent me implied that they would charge me their "low quarterly rate" of $38.85/three months AUTOMATICALLY. That scared me, so I ended up calling the telephone number in their letter.
I just got the same letter, saying they would charge me their "low quarterly rate" of $38.85/three months AUTOMATICALLY. So you called to tell them not to bill you? What did you say to them?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by muadib
I just got the same letter, saying they would charge me their "low quarterly rate" of $38.85/three months AUTOMATICALLY. So you called to tell them not to bill you? What did you say to them?
Just say "No." Tell them NOT to auto renew you and to let your subscription expire as it is not worth that price to you.

They may offer you the $77 deal, but, if they don't, just let it expire and then call a few days later with the "script" as suggested above.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by muadib
After I told them not to auto renew me, they tried to sell me other plans that was not the $77/year offer. Eventually, they offered me a two month free extension of my $60/year offer. Next month, that will expire, and I plan to call the OTHER number (800-682-4114) and ask for the $77/year offer.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:45 PM
10th Gear

i just called and got the $77 offer, with no problems at all, but i forgot to ask about reactivation, should I call back?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Advanced

After I told them not to auto renew me, they tried to sell me other plans that was not the $77/year offer. Eventually, they offered me a two month free extension of my $60/year offer. Next month, that will expire, and I plan to call the OTHER number (800-682-4114) and ask for the $77/year offer.
I called over the weekend, and the guy told me to disregard the auto renew letter, because he showed that they mailed me a bill. I get the bill today, and it's for $77 for the year! I'm happy!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Intermediate

I just called this morning and I told XM that I wanted to cancel my subscription. The woman asked if it was because the service was too expensive. I told her that it was considering that I have heard of people using the zwinback code and getting the service for a discount. She told me to hold on and 30 seconds later asked if I would stay for $77 for the year.

I told her I would and I am again a happy member of the XM nation.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jamiecer
I just called this morning and I told XM that I wanted to cancel my subscription. The woman asked if it was because the service was too expensive. I told her that it was considering that I have heard of people using the zwinback code and getting the service for a discount. She told me to hold on and 30 seconds later asked if I would stay for $77 for the year.

I told her I would and I am again a happy member of the XM nation.
PLEASE READ THE THREAD. Or at least the last few pages. BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow members. Follow the script.

Saying that you heard of people using the zwinback code may cause them to shut it down or change it. It is a special promotion for people who have cancelled XM radio ONLY. If XM thinks the code is "out there" in general circulation and costing them money, our party will come to a screeching halt.

You should say, "I received a promotional flyer/letter offering a price of $77 to renew my XM subscription."

If they ask for a code (they won't always), tell them "zwinback". They may also ask for your radio code so have that ready to give them. It is in your paperwork from the dealer or you can get it off your radio on XM Channel zero. IF YOU HAD the flyer/letter, it would have your radio code on it so they would know who you are and how to activate the service.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I bought my car pre-owned and the XM subscription was active for the first few months. Is it possible to get this promotion as a new subscriber?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

After reading through the thread and seeing how bluenoise got the promotion, I called the number. I said "I have an XM promotion code given to me by my dealer when I purchased my car."

The rep asked for the code. I said "zwinback". Long pause then sigh... "Okay, I'll honor it. But, your dealer is not authorized to be giving out promotions on behalf of XM. This code is for existing subscribers." I'm thinking to myself, "Sure lady, like I care!"

Anyway, it came out to $88.31 with taxes. I'm not an XM fan. But, for $7 a month... it's nice to have a change up from radio and my MP3 player.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
7th Gear

yahoo! I just called mine in for $60.00 special deal! I called it in and gave them the ZWINBACK info and told me it was from GM's promo for thier cars?? Anyway it worked out!!

Silver 2005 tl
Ebony interior
Aspec Body only
5 sp Auto / no navi
equipped with the TURBONATOR
6k miles w/ Synthetic oil
Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by kenshin863
yahoo! I just called mine in for $60.00 special deal! I called it in and gave them the ZWINBACK info and told me it was from GM's promo for thier cars?? Anyway it worked out!!
Yeah, me too... I told her I bought my car pre-owned from a GM dealership.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by VtecMW
Yeah, me too... I told her I bought my car pre-owned from a GM dealership.

Yeah, and to anyone who is going to try this please say you got the offer from the dealership via the mail!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs up $77 working fine

Three month trial ended a week ago. Called XM today and followed the script. Told them my trial had run out and that I had received a flyer in the mail with an offer to comeback for $77 for 12 months. Rep said, "No problem," and signed me up in about 3-4 minutes. Never asked for a code, except when I first called and he asked for my name and my xm radio code which I gave him.
Couldn't have been easier. Thanks to everyone who has kept this thread going and kept it on track. Follow the script, folks.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Instructor

It seems like a lot of people aren't following the "script" and I can't say I blame them, this thread is too long and changes too often to keep track of, I'm not suggesting that the thread be closed but what about maybe creating a sticky thread just with the basic info (like which phone # to use) and the "script" and locking it except for occasional updates so that it's just a reference tool
Old 12-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

This thread was too long for people to read and get any usable info. I have broken off the most recent posts which contain all the pertinent data.

If you want to read the whole thread and have lots of time, go here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1347787
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Thank you work first try.

Just called followed script and it worked no problems.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

2nd year doing this and it worked like a charm.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Took me three calls the first time when the $60 promo was available when I first got my car. Called the number on the letter with the auto renewal, told them not to auto renew and tried to get the $77 promo. No luck. Told them I'd let it expire, they offered the multi year pricing only. I declined, they made no other offer. My subscription expired during the week, called the number that Xpditor said, told them my subscription expired and that I wanted to take advantage of the $77 offer. He asked if I wanted to be billed or put it on a credit card, then gave me the activation instructions and told me to have a nice day.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

got the $77 no prob first try they had already billed for the first quarter and so they just charged me the difference of $77.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

I received my letter saying they'd bill me quarterly at the new rates last week. Read this thread and had my second year of service for activated for 75 bucks and some change (first call to number in this thread). He did say I wasn't suppose to get this promo for a second year since I got the 60 buck offer last year. He said he have to cancel me and resubscribe me to get the new rate in which I said was fine (he prorated me for the 5 days). I gave him the promo code and was activated w/o issue.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
8th Gear

First time user here, first post...followed your script, worked like a charm, no problems, total was $77.00. Thank you!

I purchased this as a gift for my gf, it's her TL that this is in.

Called the 800-682-4114 number, gave them the radio ID number, told the guy that my gf got a flier in the mail for the $77.00 renewal amount and I told him that I wanted to purchase it as a gift for xmas for my gf. No problems, done!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

I got this deal today as well 12/21/05. I had previously received the $60 promotion after my initial 3 month free trial period. No problems with customer service, they didn't ask me where I heard of it or anything.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Follow the yellow brick road....

I guess it helped to split this thread so ppl didn't have to read 700 posts.

See how smoothly it goes when you follow the plan?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I followed the "script" thanks. My service was just about to run out. I didn't even have to give the code!! I started by giving my radio ID and then gave him the line and boom! This worked great last year too. Thanks to everyone for the info.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear

Still working, Called, gave them y radio ID and Name, Told them I had a 77 dollar promo for a year and they gave it to me. Almost too easy. Thanks guys
Old 12-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

I wish I had the luck you all are having.

Followed the script to the letter (including calling the correct number); told the rep my service was about to expire and that I had received the special offer; she asked for the code on the letter and I told her zwinback. She said there was another code she needed, at which point I was stumped. I told her I didn't have the flyer in front of me, and that zwinback was all I could recall. She said she would be right back and I thought everything was going well, but she came back and said no go. So I dropped the service right then and there.

I'll wait for the real flyer to arrive, I guess.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:27 PM
10th Gear

This was smooth and easy...

I called XM to renew my subscription which ran out on X-mas day. I told them I recieved a letter from my Acura Dealership that included a flyer with a $77 rate. Everything went very easy; I suspect with Howard drawing droves of people to Serius the folks at XM are being a little kinder
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Question: how long can I wait?

My 3 month subscription ran out today. How long do I get to wait until I sign up and still be "eligible" for the ZWINBACK? I'm still undecided whether to sign up again.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oidvoid
I wish I had the luck you all are having.

Followed the script to the letter (including calling the correct number); told the rep my service was about to expire and that I had received the special offer; she asked for the code on the letter and I told her zwinback. She said there was another code she needed, at which point I was stumped. I told her I didn't have the flyer in front of me, and that zwinback was all I could recall. She said she would be right back and I thought everything was going well, but she came back and said no go. So I dropped the service right then and there.

I'll wait for the real flyer to arrive, I guess.
As previously stated many times: If they ask for another code, it's your radio code that is also printed on the flyer.

The first code is the promotion code: zwinback

The second code they ask for is your RADIO code. How can they activate your renewal if they don't have your radio code??????

You must follow the instructions carefully. Read and understand the previous posts here.

I would not be surprised if zwinback is set to expire soon- maybe the end of the year.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Dennis in NH
My 3 month subscription ran out today. How long do I get to wait until I sign up and still be "eligible" for the ZWINBACK? I'm still undecided whether to sign up again.

Thanks,

Dennis
I'm pretty sure that you qualify for the deal as soon as your old subscription has run out. You could probably use the script right now and get it for $77.00.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xpditor
As previously stated many times: If they ask for another code, it's your radio code that is also printed on the flyer.

The first code is the promotion code: zwinback

The second code they ask for is your RADIO code. How can they activate your renewal if they don't have your radio code??????

You must follow the instructions carefully. Read and understand the previous posts here.

I would not be surprised if zwinback is set to expire soon- maybe the end of the year.
Well, I gave her my radio ID, but she still asked me for the code off the flyer. I assumed since she had my radio ID that it was yet another number. As I stated, I followed the script to the letter, and in fact used your exact wording: "My subscription is about to expire and I got a letter with a special price offer of $77. I think I would like to take you up on that." Also, I got the $60 deal last year so I had done this before.

I agree with you that the zwinback promo may well be coming to a close. I hope not. At any rate, I'm going to go without XM for a few days and then try it again. That's actually why I canceled it on the spot, so I would be officially unsubscribed when I tried it again.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Just did it for $77

Originally Posted by o2thx
I'm pretty sure that you qualify for the deal as soon as your old subscription has run out. You could probably use the script right now and get it for $77.00.
I called (800) 682-4114 and they immediately asked me for my first name and then my XM radio code. I then told them I'd like to extend my subscription; she started into the multi-year savings plan and I said I got a flyer in the mail from the dealer. She said "what flyer?" and I said ZWINBACK and then she asked the price. I said $60 and she said "I'm sorry, but that is invalid". I then said "uh, I mean $77". Then a long pause and then eventually, I said I guess I was looking at the wrong thing -- and said "I really meant $77". She then said I was not eligible and I acted confused and said I didn't know where the flyer came from. She asked what the return address was and I said it must've been the dealer because that's where I got my XM from and "this XM thing is new to me". There was long pause again and then I gave my credit card number .

She then said, turn on my XM radio and tune to channel 1 for 20 minutes and then scroll to channels 7 and 135 and if I get both, I'm good to go.

I'll check to see my credit card was charged $77 like she said. I didn't want to confirm it too many times because too much talking might not be good.

Dennis
Old 12-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

OK...I had no problems at all getting the $77 12-month renewal deal. The girl didn't even ask me for the code. All she asked me was where I heard about the deal and I told her that I got a flyer telling me about it. That was it. The whole call lasted 4 minutes. I used the 1-800-682-4114 number and told her that my 3-month trial subscription had expired. That's all Folks...

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months (Part 2)