Remote starter with factory keyless remote??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
You know him right?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote starter with factory keyless remote??

Does anyone know if this is possible or exists? I'm thinking about eventually geting a remote starter but dont want 2 remotes. I know other car manufacturers have the option where they replace the original keyless remote with a new one that supports the added remote started.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good question.

I'd also like to know if there are any issues installing a remote starter with the 6-speed manual transmission.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by djwoody
Good question.

I'd also like to know if there are any issues installing a remote starter with the 6-speed manual transmission.
yes is possile bout installin it on a 6spd ask Acpimpin!

he has it on and ive seen it in action
Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the remote starter from factory?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura in canada has an OEM optional 2way remote starter. But the range is no where near the aftermarket units(Compustar,Autostart).If you want to Use an aftermarket unit and retain your OEM alarm functions then look at getting an OEM integration unit like the Idatalink.I personally have it and installed it and it works like a dream. It does immobilizer bypass,door locks,trunk,OEM alarm,Tach signal,Hood pin(no need to have wire pass thru firewall). take a look for youself http://www.idatalink.com
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Racer

The new 09 TL OEM 2way starter installed price is $875 CND, i would say the price for 3G would be very close around there. maybe its a bit cheaper since its the outgoing model. Give a local acura dealer a call to see if they have it or not. If they dont then call up your closest canadian dealer and see how much they want for the kit.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Instructor

yes it is possible, and I did one myself on my 06 tl. like above post stated you will need to get a bypass, then you can get any remote start add-on.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

the way the add on's works on factory remotes is quite simply. the triger connects to a parking light or door locks.

then you program the remote start on how many clicks it will take to activate it. the way I had it on mine is on 3rd press it would activate remote start.

hope this helps a little.
good luck
Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fade2blk
yes it is possible, and I did one myself on my 06 tl. like above post stated you will need to get a bypass, then you can get any remote start add-on.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

the way the add on's works on factory remotes is quite simply. the triger connects to a parking light or door locks.

then you program the remote start on how many clicks it will take to activate it. the way I had it on mine is on 3rd press it would activate remote start.

hope this helps a little.
good luck
I have a question, once you use the remote starter, the car's engine would start, is the car safe?

Like anybody would just hop up and drive away?

Or does it still need your key in the ignition to unlock and unblock the steering wheel and engine immobilizer?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Yes it is very possible.

Any Directed Electronics or Compustart system will work fine. The installer just needs to diode isolate the lock wire and wire it to the activation input (white/blue) on any DEI model. Depending on how they set it up it can remote start the car by hitting the lock button a few times.

You will have barely any range on it though, I say scrap the factory remote and use the aftermarket one.

Installing on a 6 spd is just like installing on an auto. They can diode isolate the clutch wire with the status output wire (blue) so that it will start without bypassing the clutch. Just don't leave it in gear because unlike subarus, i dont think acuras have a factory neutral safety switch
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by georgegiorgio
I have a question, once you use the remote starter, the car's engine would start, is the car safe?

Like anybody would just hop up and drive away?

Or does it still need your key in the ignition to unlock and unblock the steering wheel and engine immobilizer?
The brake wire is wired up. If anyone taps the brake pedal without the key in the car will die.
Plus the car will still be locked
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When you install a remote start on the 3G, you first have to unlock the doors and then start the car, otherwise the factory alarm will go off. You can then relock the doors after the car starts.

The factory alarm arms when the doors are locked. Starting the car with a remote starter triggers the alarm. I have yet to see a solution to bypassing the factory alarm with a remote start on the 3G.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Instructor

trew is right. if you are using factory alarm. you have to disable the factory alarm to activate the remote circuit. and yes once started you can lockit via keyvob.

if you want to retain the car locked on its own with remote start. with out extra clicks with remote then one will need to get aftermarket alarm with remote start and tie that into the factory one.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
You know him right?

Thanks for great replies. Thats a lot of info and now it seems like I have some decisions to make. I really want to keep the car stock (for now since I just bought it) so those options sound alright..except for the open the doors, start the car, then lock the doors (I can imagine I will forget to relock the doors at least once)

I will wait to do anything for now. Maybe go through a winter and see what its actually like. Although I can only imagine it will be nice and cool..as usual.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Instructor

some1, depends on the remote start module that you get. some of them have a option to relock the doors after the remote start activated.

good luck.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Racer

my car locks by itself when i command it to start, and it works exactly like the OEM remote, but just 1000x the range.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trew
When you install a remote start on the 3G, you first have to unlock the doors and then start the car, otherwise the factory alarm will go off. You can then relock the doors after the car starts.

The factory alarm arms when the doors are locked. Starting the car with a remote starter triggers the alarm. I have yet to see a solution to bypassing the factory alarm with a remote start on the 3G.

If that is the case, then someone installed your remote starter wrong...... Factory disarm wires can be used to disarm the factory alarm via the control board inside the drivers door. You shouldn't have to unlock anything... at all
Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by vipernj
If that is the case, then someone installed your remote starter wrong...... Factory disarm wires can be used to disarm the factory alarm via the control board inside the drivers door. You shouldn't have to unlock anything... at all

PITA to run wires into the door panel, but I am going to have to do that
Old 04-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Unless you have a 2G TL i dont think you need to go into the door. everything is done by the data wires.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
not at all, and no you do not even have to go inside that panel. get the proper bypass module and it will tie into the factory for you. look for CAN Bus bypass
http://canbuskit.com/cansl.php
http://www.bypasskit.com/
and there are so many others....
do not limit your self of thinking that you will have to go inside the door panel.

good luck
Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Originally Posted by djwoody
Good question.

No issues, I have it on my 07 TLS with window modules too and was done here in TO.
Clifford Matrix 3.3 is what I have.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by fade2blk
not at all, and no you do not even have to go inside that panel. get the proper bypass module and it will tie into the factory for you. look for CAN Bus bypass
http://canbuskit.com/cansl.php
http://www.bypasskit.com/
and there are so many others....
do not limit your self of thinking that you will have to go inside the door panel.

good luck
Using Can-SL and Honda-SL2 units for bypassing.