Radio Tuner assembly dead, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio Tuner assembly dead, what now?

Hey guys I took it to a dealer and they said the radio tuner had an internal problem and they could get me refurbished one for about $300, I would install myself.

I would like to keep the radio stock just because I've seen so many aftermarket ones that look terrible, but $300 is a lot for a refurb that could just break again. Could you guys recommend something that fits nicely and still retains the steering wheel controls and semi OEM factory look. Also I was planning on buying an iSimple to control my iPod through the XM channel with the steering wheel controls.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
LOL at if you think 300 dollars is a lot.

your dealer is actually giving you one of the best deals ive seen.
most dealers push for new parts.
add their labor cost and most people looking to replace the radio would be faced with a 1000-1200 repair bill.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced

The price with labor was around $900, I'm asking for advice with an aftermarket one because the stock tuner isn't that great. You can get a lot better systems for $300, anyone have any recs!?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by HeloDown
The price with labor was around $900, I'm asking for advice with an aftermarket one because the stock tuner isn't that great. You can get a lot better systems for $300, anyone have any recs!?
no you cant!
everything is integrated with the OEM radio.

and like your first concern, it wouldnt look right putting in an aftermarket radio unless you go all out.

we're still having problems with finding a mount for an aftermarket radio, it will have to be custom built.

and then when you finally have made the mount, what are you going to do with the two half circles in the aluminum trim?

it wont look right, unless you do a lot of custom work.
if you can handle that, more power to you.

an alternative for you, would be to mount an android tablet in place of the nav. (or the split screen, if you dont have nav)

this way, you have music, movies, navigation all within an android tablet.

Look through our threads for ideas.
you're not the first person to ask this.
and there are many many many threads defining what you want, need, and just simply badass installs.

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94
click the link to see the many many different threads on audio installs.
then, you can further investigate the "interesting titled threads" to see if its something that you would like to do.

Last edited by justnspace; 10-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HeloDown (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
no you cant!

and like your first concern, it wouldnt look right putting in an aftermarket radio unless you go all out.

we're still having problems with finding a mount for an aftermarket radio, it will have to be custom built.

and then when you finally have made the mount, what are you going to do with the two half circles in the aluminum trim?

an alternative for you, would be to mount an android tablet in place of the nav. (or the split screen, if you dont have nav)

and there are many many many threads defining what you want, need, and just simply badass installs.

then, you can further investigate the "interesting titled threads" to see if its something that you would like to do.
I just bought a pioneer car stereo for my Dads old old old Lexus that I think outperforms the Mark Levinson unit that was in it for around 300. More updated features in it and no more tape player!

Thanks for your help! I have been researching a lot about my problem and an aftermarket solution here on AZ but I can't seem to find one that I really like for around $300. I have extra trim that I can fabricate for the half circles and the edges around the radio assembly itself, but like you said I think it would be too much work. Also if I did all of that work I'd feel like I would want to replace the amp and the front speakers and just start some sort of spending rampage...I will play it safe and look up car stereo repair shops for now.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
Carstereohelp.com

^they charge the same if not more than what the dealer quoted you. Go to shipping info, and they have a list to the right,of brands/models of vehicles (and what has gone wrong with most). I haven't used them yet, but plan to have my OEM amp fixed by them.
The following users liked this post:
HeloDown (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Carstereohelp.com

^they charge the same if not more than what the dealer quoted you. Go to shipping info, and they have a list to the right,of brands/models of vehicles (and what has gone wrong with most). I haven't used them yet, but plan to have my OEM amp fixed by them.
Thanks, I just called the dealer again and asked them to tell me where they send there stereos. They gave me the number and I think if anything I will go through the repairmen themselves and not deal with the markup from the dealer sending it to the repair man. Carstereohelp sounds pricey and you have to ship it off, I recommend looking for some place local if you want to repair instead of replace.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
^They are kinda local to me! Amp repair is $125, all internals replaced. This is what i was told.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
no you cant!

No, the only thing you need is a custom face plate. The double din is universal. There is a member here who istall his too with a double din with no modification to it.

For the half circles just be creative and cover them up properly. For example, create your own plastic half circles and vinly wrap them.

I agree with the tablet intergration
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Edit - the double din I am using is an universal.