Radio misbehaving on 06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio misbehaving on 06 TL

Good morning all. I recently installed the PXAMG media hub for my IPOD in my 06 TL. It worked fine for two weeks. Then I started having weird radio issues. It is sporadic but once it is working, works great until I turn the car off and turn it back on later. Sometimes I turn the car on and it works great from the start. The symptoms are:

1. The radio won't turn on at all with the power button. mashing the button every few seconds for a few minutes will sometimes get the radio to start working.
2. The LCD navi screen is 'frozen'. Like I can turn the volume up and down but the current volume display won't change on the screen. But the radio volume DOES go up and down.
3. Often, the FM and CD functions will work, but it won't respond to changing over to XM. Sometimes it is the other way.

Weird stuff! Before I tear apart my dash again (freaks me out messing around with that gorgeous dash!) to remove the PXAMG, I was hoping somebody else had similar issues and found a solution. Or see if there if anybody has had similar problems without the PXAMG - like is my radio just freaking out and I should take it to a dealer?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
disconnect your battery for 1 hour and you should be good...

make sure you have your Navi and Radio codes handy... Additionally, when you do this... make sure you're in an open area where the NAVI system can connect to the satellites...

Sounds like everything needs to be restarted completely... Good Luck
Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
the PXAMG or whatever it is, is causing this, the radio is connected to the navi system via those XM wires to my knowledge, and that could be causing the volume and LCD problems. As for turning on and it not, that is odd since the turn-on is directly wired to the radio
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
the PXAMG or whatever it is, is causing this, the radio is connected to the navi system via those XM wires to my knowledge, and that could be causing the volume and LCD problems. As for turning on and it not, that is odd since the turn-on is directly wired to the radio
I had a similar situation.
I have an 06 TL w/ Navi + PXAMG + HDRT.
This is what happened to me:
When I would listen to the radio or listen to a CD, the dials and buttons would not respond. And if they responded, it was delayed. I would select a preset channel through the touchscreen but the radio would not respond. The steering wheel buttons worked. Pretty weird problem and I was getting irritated.
Turned out my problem was that I hadn't selected the PXAMG unit yet in the radio (go from AM/FM --> XM), I had listened to the radio and CDs, but hadn't tested the PXAMG. Which makes me think that the PXAMG needs to initialize into your system before everything else becomes operational again.
But you are describing a situation where the PXAMG has been sitting in your car for a while already. Maybe the PXAMG is losing power somehow (loose connection) and requires initialization everytime this happens.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Intermediate

I'm having this exact same issue. Let us know if you find a fix.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:33 AM
5th Gear

Hmmm, been reading other threads where they warn that the PXAMG makes the radio controls 'lag'. I'm going to test to see if pressing the 'on' button does work, just delayed. Maybe I am pressing the on/off button too much and confusing it. lol

I did call Peripheral (nice people there in tech support) and they suggested I check the firmware on the side to make sure I have the .25 version. Zeppelin/freeone, any idea if you have .25? The website did say that the .25 version fixed compatibility issues with the Honda/Acuras. If I had the latest version, they recommended I inplug the PXAMG and wait 10 minutes to 'reset it'. I really doubt that will help since it started freaking out after just about 10 days. I really don't want to remove my dash every 2 weeks to reset the thing. I'm hoping by firmware is out of date.

If not, hopefully we can verify enough of us are having this problem to get Peripheral to take a look at the Acura + PXAMG combination again.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

I do have the latest firmware. I was going to suggest unplugging it to reset it also, but like you, I don't want to go through the hassle of taking apart my center column just to reset it. I'm guessing, it'll probably happen again after a couple weeks.

Oh, another thing... I wouldn't dare take my car into the dealership with the PXAMG still installed. They would just deny any warranty work.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, I don't know which firmware I have.
Disconnecting the battery should achieve the same effect as unplugging the PXAMG.
I know a lot of people on the boards have the PXAMG without any problems, so you may just have a bad unit or a loose connection. You should be able to talk Peripheral in to send you a replacement unit.

Originally Posted by spearson
Hmmm, been reading other threads where they warn that the PXAMG makes the radio controls 'lag'. I'm going to test to see if pressing the 'on' button does work, just delayed. Maybe I am pressing the on/off button too much and confusing it. lol

I did call Peripheral (nice people there in tech support) and they suggested I check the firmware on the side to make sure I have the .25 version. Zeppelin/freeone, any idea if you have .25? The website did say that the .25 version fixed compatibility issues with the Honda/Acuras. If I had the latest version, they recommended I inplug the PXAMG and wait 10 minutes to 'reset it'. I really doubt that will help since it started freaking out after just about 10 days. I really don't want to remove my dash every 2 weeks to reset the thing. I'm hoping by firmware is out of date.

If not, hopefully we can verify enough of us are having this problem to get Peripheral to take a look at the Acura + PXAMG combination again.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an issue where i could not get to the eq settings(press the right knob) ,cd/xm/radio buttons didn't work, but i could still change xm stations and volume.

I tried disconnecting my battery, nothing happened, then i came inside and jumped on forums..got sidetracked after doing this
Originally Posted by csmeance
"turn the car on to stall mode (position 2 on ignition) and hold down the accelerator for 30 -35 seconds. This will reset the transmission programming and it will adapt itself to your driving. The TL adapts to your driving, for example, if you drive like grandma, and then one day decide to mash the pedal, 1 gear downshift instead of the usual 2 gear downshift to throw you into the powerband. BUT if you drive the car like you stole it, then it will downshift at the slightest increase in throttle."
Went outside did it, noticed a blinking tranny dummy light..went to bed and the next day it worked.

It started flaking out after a stream of storms, someone suggested it could of been a stuck button (which makes sense) but that wasn't my problem either. I don't know what fixed it, but its working now.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 AM
5th Gear

Just as an update although not sure how helpful it will be-

I broke down and opened up the dash again to get to the PXAMG. I verified that it was firmware level .25 (rats!) so I went ahead and let it sit there unplugged for 10 minutes to 'reset' it per instructions from their tech support. When I plugged it back in, amazingly everything started working perfectly! It's been running great over the week-end and today.

I discovered that the top storage compartment under the radio has a lid inside that just pops off. I removed the lid and put the PXAMG down into that compartment. I hope this problem doesn't happen again, but if so, now I can just open that little compartment and unplug the unit directly. Since the lid just pops off, i keep it in the glove box and snap the lid back into place if I ever move the PXAMG back into the frame of the car.

Hopefully it works permanently now without the need to reset it every week or two. :S