Questions on Aftermarket Subwoofer/Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on Aftermarket Subwoofer/Amp install

So I was thinking of hooking up my aftermarket Subs/Amp that were in my old car (Just bought '06 TL 5AT Navi) to my TL. I searched some other threads but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I want to save some money and do the install myself, so I was thinking of just using the cords that were connected to the stock sub/amp to hook up to my sub/amp to make life easier. Any opinions on this or has anybody done this? Subs are 2 12" Kicker CVX's in Probox Super Bass Box w/ Rockford Fosgate T1500.1 amp. I heard from a guy at my local car audio shop that there as an adapter needed to hook up my setup using the old wires. Another thought of mine was that this setup might just be a bit much, because the box w/ the subs is very heavy (well over 100 lbs) and it might rattle the car too much. But, I was just going to throw them in there for now if they fit, and then possibly just get a box later for one of the 12s instead of using 2. Also wondering if I set it up this way will the subwoofer control on the navi control the aftermarket ones? Any help or input greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
get these

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207101...s.html?tp=3097

so you dont have to cut your speaker wires from your sub

run that to a LOC (line output converter)

this will give you a line level rca that you can stick in your amp for input.

be advised you will have to remove the back seats and rear quater panels in order to get to the sub not tecnhically difficult but a PITA due to time needed

(this will allow you to control sub with HU)
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
You are still going to have to route the power/remote wire back there.
You can control the sub with the HU using Bass +\- or Subwoofer +\-.

Pick up one of these. I use it and it works perfectly.
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=212
Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by JJLee2009
So I was thinking of hooking up my aftermarket Subs/Amp that were in my old car (Just bought '06 TL 5AT Navi) to my TL. I searched some other threads but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I want to save some money and do the install myself, so I was thinking of just using the cords that were connected to the stock sub/amp to hook up to my sub/amp to make life easier. Any opinions on this or has anybody done this? Subs are 2 12" Kicker CVX's in Probox Super Bass Box w/ Rockford Fosgate T1500.1 amp. I heard from a guy at my local car audio shop that there as an adapter needed to hook up my setup using the old wires. Another thought of mine was that this setup might just be a bit much, because the box w/ the subs is very heavy (well over 100 lbs) and it might rattle the car too much. But, I was just going to throw them in there for now if they fit, and then possibly just get a box later for one of the 12s instead of using 2. Also wondering if I set it up this way will the subwoofer control on the navi control the aftermarket ones? Any help or input greatly appreciated. Thanks
Since you already have your old RCAs, ground, power, remote you're good. All you need is a LOC (line-out converter). If weight is an issue, drop the pro-box and build your own ported box. If I remember correctly, those things are HUGE....and they're tuned at like 42hz . You have plenty of options if you don't want that kind of weight in your trunk...and lucky for you, people on Craigslist goes app shit for Kicker. You would be able to sell those subs and box for what you paid or close to it I bet. Sell it and buy an 12" FI Q, toss it in a ported box and watch it wang on that power. There's plenty of good 12" subs that will take that kind of power and give you better SQ. ...just a thought for ya

Sell the pro-box and buy some deadening for the trunk. Might as well do a little bit while installing the amp and LOC. You can install the LOC in the trunk by taking the (-) (+) from the sub in the rear deck.

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
get these

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207101...s.html?tp=3097

so you dont have to cut your speaker wires from your sub

run that to a LOC (line output converter)

this will give you a line level rca that you can stick in your amp for input.

be advised you will have to remove the back seats and rear quater panels in order to get to the sub not tecnhically difficult but a PITA due to time needed

(this will allow you to control sub with HU)
Not true. All you need to do is pull away the top liner in the trunk and expose the rear deck. You can see the sub and will be able to the take wires from it right there without having to remove the rear seats. If you want to remove the sub/rear speakers, then you'd have to remove the rear seat. Maybe that's what you were saying...but just clarifying for the OP

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey

Not true. All you need to do is pull away the top liner in the trunk and expose the rear deck. You can see the sub and will be able to the take wires from it right there without having to remove the rear seats. If you want to remove the sub/rear speakers, then you'd have to remove the rear seat. Maybe that's what you were saying...but just clarifying for the OP
right thats how i got to my wires but ended up removing the sub later then had to remove them again during rear speaker install and yet again for tvandnav2go install. completely forgot.