QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
3GTLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peripheral
Hello,

I am a Research and Development Tech with Peripheral Electronics. Thanks to “Mitko Haralanov” aka “voidtrance” I found this post and have since found out that many of you are having issues with our interface (PXAMG and PGHHD1). I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are having these issues. It also seems to boil down to if you have the new style Navigation radio with the new style SAT tuner with the built in HFL. I would like to fix your issues but it seems that I am having a hard time finding a 2007 – 2008 TL with navigation and NAV Traffic.

I would like to see if there is anyone on this message board that is willing to let us get into your vehicle and run some tests and edit some code to get this working in your vehicles. We are located in the Clearwater (Tampa Bay) area on the west coast of FL. If anyone is located in near vicinity of us and is willing to help your fellow TL owners out. Please feel free to PM me and let me know. We are willing to meet up with you somewhere but would prefer the vehicle to be at our facility to make sure we have all the right tools. Even if someone that is local does not have this interface in their vehicle and would like to please contact me as we need to get this issue faxed as soon as possible.

I wish the schematics and pictures you guys took for me would fix the issue but unfortunately there seems to be a collision on the vehicles internal BUS which is making your Navigation units run at crawl speed. While this will not hurt the vehicle or its BUS it is very frustrating.

Also to answer a few questions for those of you without issues.

1. Can I operate the iPod from the iPod? Yes you can. That is what the AUX’s are for. If you have the iPod cable plugged into port 1 “AUX 1” will allow you to use your iPod from the iPod along with limited control (Track fwd/back from the radio and steering wheel controls)

2. Why does it lock me out of my iPod? For us to allow you to completely browse the iPod from the radio the iPod must be put into “UART” mode to avoid confusion between commands from the radio and the iPod.

3. I thought the USB was only for programming? As of this moment it is. Later on down the line you will be able to connect USB jump drives and browse and play files via the radio just like the iPod.

4. I played with the dipswitches and got it to work.... ALL dipswitches should be left in the OFF or UP position for proper function. Someone was able to get it to work with flipping dip #1 on…. That’s a FLUKE and should have any effect.

5. Will it hurt my reception if I “Y” my antenna? Well it will effect it a little bit just like “Y” ing anything off will effect it. IMO you shouldn’t need the factory AM/FM as the HD Radio Tuner operates the same and you still get all stations not just HD stations.

6. What is the most current software? .25 is the most current software and should be updated before installation if your module has any prior software. NO NEED TO UPDATE IF YOU MODULE SAYS .25 ON THE SIDE. You will just get a message that says “firmware already programmed”

7. XEN-CUTS the reason you cant program is our updater program is not compatible with Windows VISTA. It even says this on the updater page.

If any of you have questions please ask them on the thread not in a PM as I would like everyone to see the answers.

Thanks for your time,

T.T.
Hi, great to see you on the forum. I am sure that things will progress much faster now, that you have direct access to a lot of people who a playing with the unit.

Had I lived in your area, I would have volunteered my car but I am in California.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Older XM tuners work where the new ones with NAV traffic do not....
This is what I was getting at...thanks for clearing the air.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 PM
fellow MASShole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright .. theres to much goin on now ..

i have an 04 non NAV dont need xm .. what do i get ??! my current connector sucks and i need my ipod!

the prestige one??

ps.. first post as a TL owner
Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
PXAMG GuRu

I guess that depends on what your looking for. If you looking for basic opperation you can use the dice or usa spec piece.

But if you want full text display, browsing and control you should use the PXAMG. It requires that you have a XM button. We recomend you buy from a local retailer as many people have issues with returns and/or refunds through craigslist or ebay. We also have authorized dealers on the web. One of the best is Discountcarstereo.com. Austin, the owner is a great guy and ive had the pleasure of having dinner with him and his wife. great person and he cares about his customers.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
08 TL-S CBP

FYI to the posters n regards to pausing iPod:

This unit pauses iPod with 5 or so second delay if you receive/make calls.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Instructor

I think I was one of the first customers to buy and have this installed in my 08 TL. The shop's name is Infinite Audio in Macedon NY. The owner called PE in Feb and they were just getting ready to ship these units out. I waited about 2 weeks for the unit to arrive and it was installed by Infinite Audio. Absolutely no problems to this point.

Hey PE, what was the version of the software in the first shipped units? Do I need to upgrade if it's not the latest?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
I think I was one of the first customers to buy and have this installed in my 08 TL. ...Absolutely no problems to this point.
I guess you have a non-navi?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I guess you have a non-navi?
correct
Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
fellow MASShole

I guess that depends on what your looking for. If you looking for basic opperation you can use the dice or usa spec piece.

But if you want full text display, browsing and control you should use the PXAMG. It requires that you have a XM button. We recomend you buy from a local retailer as many people have issues with returns and/or refunds through craigslist or ebay. We also have authorized dealers on the web. One of the best is Discountcarstereo.com. Austin, the owner is a great guy and ive had the pleasure of having dinner with him and his wife. great person and he cares about his customers.

sorry for the newb question but the PXAMG will allow me to view my Ipod through my stereo ? and ya i have an XM button

i'm just lookin for crisp clear music
Old 04-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MaCe
sorry for the newb question but the PXAMG will allow me to view my Ipod through my stereo ? and ya i have an XM button

i'm just lookin for crisp clear music
Yes. The PXAMG shows you text information on the display for artist and track name, and also shows the time counter in minutes and seconds. It does not show the album name but that's okay.

This product produces an unbelievable high quality sound and nearly rivals what you get out of your DVD audio discs through the ELS surround system. Trust me, when this product works right it's really hard to beat.

If I remember from your first post you have an '04 correct? I have an '05 with navi and I've had some minor issues but it works most of the time. I like the ability to browse your ipod using the head unit controls or steering wheel controls, but also you can browse via the ipod itself by selecting Aux1 instead of ipod when you are accessing the device via the XM button on the head unit.

I'd recommend it!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
Yeah, you looked like you just got out of the gym and forgot to remove your gloves! LOL But hey, I'm not the fashion police...just a fashion vigilante maybe.

Will these problems with the iPhone affect the ability of a 2005 to use HFL? I can't wait to get this install done but I will not sacrifice my HFL--I love that thing! I also think that the acuralink is not in the 05 model, or at least I haven't noticed any phonebook import tool for my car. While I have your ear, please confirm?
HFL Works fine in my car still. I can go through all menus, phonebook entries, adding, calling, etc. My car has a blue-tooth phone book synch and import from my phone. I can import, browse, find and call entries when the feature works correctly (i.e. both plugs connected in the XM/addtl computer box) when unplugged, I cannot import or dial entries anymore, however, I can still browse existing ones and even see the phone #'s, it just won't dial or add anymore.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jimenezlee
HFL Works fine in my car still. I can go through all menus, phonebook entries, adding, calling, etc. My car has a blue-tooth phone book synch and import from my phone. I can import, browse, find and call entries when the feature works correctly (i.e. both plugs connected in the XM/addtl computer box) when unplugged, I cannot import or dial entries anymore, however, I can still browse existing ones and even see the phone #'s, it just won't dial or add anymore.
I just realized my response may not be too clear. HFL works. Bluetooth phonebook import does not. To the PE guys, I live in VA... Too bad, as I would have also let you look at my car.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 PM
10th Gear

So i can use the PXAMG and still keep my XM radio, is that correct? Will both the XM and IPOD have text? I have a 06 w/navi.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by DanFox
So i can use the PXAMG and still keep my XM radio, is that correct? Will both the XM and IPOD have text? I have a 06 w/navi.
Yes, this is what it's supposed to do!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by jimenezlee
when unplugged, I cannot import or dial entries anymore, however, I can still browse existing ones and even see the phone #'s, it just won't dial or add anymore.
Heck, i have this problem PRE-peripheral install...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
Hey PE, what was the version of the software in the first shipped units? Do I need to upgrade if it's not the latest?
The Version that was first shipped if im not mistaken for Honda/Acura was .13 . I live by the old saying..... if its not broke dont fix it. If you version is not issues there is no need to update... you dont gain extra features by updating only fixes some issues that you may never see. .15 and .25 have the same software, .25 has an extra USB programming board in it which allows you to program without having it hooked to 12V.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
4th Gear

DCH Tustin Acura is claiming this will Void my Warranty

I own a 2008 Acura TL Type S with Navi and Nav Traffic. Since I live in Los Angeles, the Nav Traffic is an extremely important feature for me and it looks like the PE folks are on their way to getting that (per https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179032) I definitely want to start planning for the product install.

I'm currently sitting at the DCH Tustin Acura waiting for my car to be serviced. When I purchased my car, DCH installed the USA Spec HONy Model for me, so I thought while I'm here I'd get their thoughts on the PE Product, thinking they'd be up to speed on the latest gear.

The Service rep just walked up to me and said he talked to the person who handles the ipod accessories and said the only way to get the PXAMG to work was to use disable XM Radio to get the text. I let him know he was wrong, but he insisted he was right and proceeded to argue with me for a bit. In order to shut him up, I had to show him the youtube video to prove that he and his technician didn't know what they were talking about.

They said they wouldn't install it, and that if I went to install it elsewhere it would void my warranty on both my HFL, my Navi and my Radio? WTF is that?

So my two questions are following:

1) Will this void my warranties? I let the Dealer install my USA Spec so why is that one okay and not PXAMG?
2) When is Nav Traffic coming for the 2007/8 TL Type S?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by Mojuba
so I thought while I'm here I'd get their thoughts on the PE Product, thinking they'd be up to speed on the latest gear.
Right on... let em know!!

The Service rep just walked up to me and said he talked to the person who handles the ipod accessories and said the only way to get the PXAMG to work was to use disable XM Radio to get the text. I let him know he was wrong, but he insisted he was right and proceeded to argue with me for a bit. In order to shut him up, I had to show him the youtube video to prove that he and his technician didn't know what they were talking about.
They hate it when you prove to them that their wrong.

They said they wouldn't install it, and that if I went to install it elsewhere it would void my warranty on both my HFL, my Navi and my Radio? WTF is that?
Any dealership will want you to use thier piece and since they dont know much about ours they are going to tell you stuff to try and make it to where you dont install our module.... Sounds to me like Pure ignorance in this matter.

So my two questions are following:

1) Will this void my warranties? I let the Dealer install my USA Spec so why is that one okay and not PXAMG?
2) When is Nav Traffic coming for the 2007/8 TL Type S?
1. Technically its up to the dealer on that matter. you can always unplugg it if you have an issue with any of the device and they would be none the wiser....

2. Nav traffic as far as i know is already available. if you talking about where are we going to be compatible then it will be after we are able to find a vehicle and get it squared away....
Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
fellow MASShole

Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
Yes. The PXAMG shows you text information on the display for artist and track name, and also shows the time counter in minutes and seconds. It does not show the album name but that's okay.

This product produces an unbelievable high quality sound and nearly rivals what you get out of your DVD audio discs through the ELS surround system. Trust me, when this product works right it's really hard to beat.

If I remember from your first post you have an '04 correct? I have an '05 with navi and I've had some minor issues but it works most of the time. I like the ability to browse your ipod using the head unit controls or steering wheel controls, but also you can browse via the ipod itself by selecting Aux1 instead of ipod when you are accessing the device via the XM button on the head unit.

I'd recommend it!

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

I've gotten the same attitude from my local dealer.

Thanks for the heads up on what they think about this and the warranty... I'll know what to do if I ever have to take it in.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

I just installed a PXAMG today in my '06 5AT w/Navi and XM. I ordered the kit from Autotoys; here's the URL:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10485

My unit came with a "Y" harness, iPod cable, and a second audio in cable that provides both a standard 3.5mm headphone-style conenctor and left/right RCA female connectors, which allows for the connection of almost any device and is accessible via AUX2 on the PXAMG.

I'm still learning my way around the unit interface. One minor annoyance is the track navigation (rewind, fast forward, etc) button assignments don't match the graphics on the head unit buttons. IE - on the head unit, preset button 2 has the two left-pointing arrows and is used for rewind functions on discs, but the PXAMG uses preset button 3 for rewind - the one with the two right-pointing arrows used for "fast forward" on discs.

The sound quality is great. So far I'm a satisfied customer.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Peripheral,
How come the PXAMG unit puts the iPOD in Shuffle and Repeat All mode, just randomly at times? For no apparent reason, without me pushing any buttons?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Also why can't the unit handle and display names like Motley Crue with the two dots aboove the O and U? Not sure what those letters are called...?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
08 TL-S CBP

It is called umlaut http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_%28diacritic%29

Mainly used in german language.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I had my first minor problem with it last night. After I had been driving/listening for about 20 minutes, while I was changing back and forth between tracks in a playlist, I suddenly lost the display text at the top of the dash (next to the clock and internal temp readout). That text went away completely, as if the radio were off, and the full text on the nav screen froze, meaning it was stuck on the previous song, and stayed on that one no matter how many times I switched tracks. I tried switching to CD and then back to XM/iPod; I also tried turning the radio off and then on again, but nothing helped. When I switched the nav display to Map and then back to Audio, there was a lag time of a few seconds before it would switch back, still with the same incorrect text on it. The good news is that I could still listen to & control the iPod, change tracks, etc, so the only thing not working was the text. When I started the car this morning everything was fine, so it looks like it just needed a reboot.

So far this is the only issue I've had with the PXAMG, in about a week and a half.

For the record:

2004 TL Auto Navi XM
60GB iPod Photo circa 2005
Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

What should i do?

So I installed this thing. XM works fine, ipod charges, but when i press the XM button, nothing happens. It just switches between XM1 and XM2. I followed the installation instructions....

What step could I be missing?

I have a 06 TL w/navi.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
10th Gear

Never mind the above post--i got it to work. I just didn't turn the knob.

Well, this thing sounds outstanding--better then my CD-Rs, but not better then regular CDs. The interface take some getting used to but it works as advertised.

One question. I noticed that it charges my ipod when the car is off. Is that normal? Should I be concerned that it will drain my car battery, or does the charging stop when the ipod is full? (ok, two questions.)
Old 05-02-2008, 02:00 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Ipod will stop charging when full. Also, it should not sound any better than regular CD's since those are uncompressed and mp3/m4p files on iPod are compressed.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Advanced

Has anyone here had any issues with getting "SAT" to display as a mode to switch to? My install is in an 08 Accord with Nav (so certainly not the same as the TL), and I cannot seem to switch back to XM once the PXAMG is installed. I have tried disconnecting the PXAMG multiple times, with no luck.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Also - for those who have used the firmware updater... the Peripheral webpage indicates that the firmware was updated on 4/8/2008; however - while my device's firmware is time/date stamped 2/29/2008, the USBPROG tells me it is up to date when I try to update it with the latest firmware from their site. Is the 2/29/2008 firmware the latest?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
08 TL-S CBP

If you look at serial number on the device, look at last two numbers after period. That number indicates firmware version. I think they just post firmware on their website later than.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by YanN1ck
If you look at serial number on the device, look at last two numbers after period. That number indicates firmware version. I think they just post firmware on their website later than.
Thanks for the reply YanN1ck. It looks like I am at 2.5 already then.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by pittpanther
Also - for those who have used the firmware updater... the Peripheral webpage indicates that the firmware was updated on 4/8/2008; however - while my device's firmware is time/date stamped 2/29/2008, the USBPROG tells me it is up to date when I try to update it with the latest firmware from their site. Is the 2/29/2008 firmware the latest?
Yes it is. your Serial number should end in .15 or .25
Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by pittpanther
Has anyone here had any issues with getting "SAT" to display as a mode to switch to? My install is in an 08 Accord with Nav (so certainly not the same as the TL), and I cannot seem to switch back to XM once the PXAMG is installed. I have tried disconnecting the PXAMG multiple times, with no luck.
Check your PM's
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
Peripheral,
How come the PXAMG unit puts the iPOD in Shuffle and Repeat All mode, just randomly at times? For no apparent reason, without me pushing any buttons?
The gateway will put the ipod into repeat mode so that way when you get to the end of an album it doesnt just stop playing. it will start over from the begining.

Pressing preset number 2 will turn Random on and off....
Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
but you can call me Ken.

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
I just discovered pressing "Scan" will allow you to switch sources (SAT, IPOD, AUX1..) instead of going AM/FM back to XM to do it. Or am I late on this discovery? I just installed the unit last night and love it.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by 2k5_AcuraTL
I just discovered pressing "Scan" will allow you to switch sources (SAT, IPOD, AUX1..) instead of going AM/FM back to XM to do it. Or am I late on this discovery? I just installed the unit last night and love it.
You are correct. Pressing the "SCAN" button on the radio will enter you inot the mode select menu. It does not work on ALL radio (Most but not ALL) so we did not add that into the instructions.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Looks like we will be able to get into a 2006 Acura RL with NAV and NAV-Traffic. Should be the same as far as functionality (i hope). Fixing one will hopefully fix the other. I will shoot out an updated file for those with NAV and NAV Traffic to try after we get into that vehicle. Please be patient as it looks like we wont be able to get into it until later this month.

TT.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

Installed the unit in 2004 TL with NAVI and love it!

One problem, though. It worked fine when I had around 10,000 tracks loaded into my 160Gb iPod Classic. However recently I loaded my full music collection (20,000+ tracks) and the unit does not work anymore in the IPOD mode. It cycles between IPOD CONNECTED and IPOD NOT CONNECTED messages every 1 second and never stays in IPOD CONNECTED. It still works fine when in AUX1 mode (the one you use to control iPOD directly).

The firmware is .25 (the latest). I tried to replace the unit thinking it may be defective (got it from Best Buy so replacement is easy), however it did not help - the problem is still there. I also reformatted my iPod completely and loaded the music again - did not help, still does not work in IPOD mode.

Anybody with same problem?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
5th Gear

Best Buy?

I think I saw the Peripheral product at Best Buy... 2 questions.

1. The box said it would work on Acura models with non-nav systems. This seems not to be the case based on this thread. I have an 05 TL with Nav that I'd like to get this installed on... will it work?

2. Is Best Buy a good place to go to get the product and get it installed (all in one shot)? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4