Q: What happens when you get your audio perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Q: What happens when you get your audio perfect?

A: You get rear ended and probably get your car totaled.

I guess that I should be good at the install by now...

It never hit me that our cars are getting old enough now that they might start to get totaled, so keep that in mind when you factor your beta coefficient of installing of a super-nice system.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Sorry to hear that man! That's sucks

Any idea what you're going to replace it with?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If they do end up totaling it, I will just get the same car. 04-06 TL with a black interior. 50/50 on if they will.

It bent my DC 650.6 amp, but it still plays perfectly (so far). The fiberglass corner box appears undamaged and must be strong as heck.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sorry to hear that JDA-actually, this is one of the reasons I don't mod my sound systems. Honestly, we don't keep cars that long. And this sound system is really very nice, so I'm leaving mine alone.

The best of luck with your TL.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM
:what:

Received 349 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Sorry to hear that JDA-actually, this is one of the reasons I don't mod my sound systems. Honestly, we don't keep cars that long. And this sound system is really very nice, so I'm leaving mine alone.

You are running out of other mods to do Steven....you may have to start on the system soon so you can continue to scratch the itch.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Wow, I've very sorry to hear that. It sounds like you're fine so that's what's important. Also sounds like most of your gear except for the amp is fine so it should be a straight carry over, right?

I think about this more and more all the time. Not so much in the audio but in the amount of money spent keeping the car in like new condition. All it takes is a second and it's all down the drain.

I do believe in response to Mr Bell that audio mods are great when it comes to switching cars. Many things can be swapped form car to car. I saved all of my stock speakers so they will go back in and the Dyns will come out if I ever get rid of it or total it. The 9s in the doors probably won't fit in just any new car but the rest should. I chose very small amps so they should fit in any car and most of the time most of the audio stuff is usable after a wreck.

The problem now is no stock audio will ever be enough. I've spoiled myself and once you do you can never go back even if you want to. If I could take back the day I first heard a high end sytem I would.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I will get a new Zapco amp, either way. Everything but the fiberglass box is installable in any car, but I will likely get another 3G TL... they are still in my price point where the two axis of affordability and reliability (current + expected mileage) meet... which is $10,500 to $13,000 in my case. Plus, I know how to work on them already.

They are still deciding if they will total, or not. Of course, I have a 3 month old set of 255s on it. ...and a remote starter.

If I do get a new TL, I will be rocking a double din from the beginning and probably doing a better job of installing the 3 way to look somewhat more like a factory/smooth integration. Otherwise, I know how to do it all already.

I also agree that audio is a reasonable mod because you can take the stuff with you. All that I am out is a hundy in dynamat and my time. I will even take the wires out. I did look locally for 6 speed TLs, or Type S, and there are lots of cars out there with significant mods, A Spec, Ron Jon, etc. that are ultimately selling for the same money as a stock car. The owners of some of the cars have been marketing for months and months with nobody willing to pay what they want. I could take my audio out in a few hours and roll it into the next car and be back at market without too much of a loss.

It is getting to the point where like-new is probably not as good of an idea as keeping it functioning like new. With about 170K on my sled it runs like new and I spend cash on transmission fluid, switches, filters, oil and tires. I don't even waste too much money on washes anymore. I got 450K out of my accord and I want 500K out of this car... twice to the moon and back. We all know that cars are not a investment, but it is a hard to switch paradigms from newish-and-baby to still-mostly-nice-and-drive-from-place-to-place when you had the car in both phases.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Wacker
You are running out of other mods to do Steven....you may have to start on the system soon so you can continue to scratch the itch.

You're right Wacker. Really, I might do the UR Pulley, but other than that, I'm just enjoying my Type S!

When it comes to a sound system, I'm easy to please. Now, being a disc jockey, you'd think I would be very picky. But I love the 5.1 surround system of the TL's. I have a lot of DVD Audio discs, so I really enjoy listening to them in the car.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You're right Wacker. Really, I might do the UR Pulley, but other than that, I'm just enjoying my Type S!

When it comes to a sound system, I'm easy to please. Now, being a disc jockey, you'd think I would be very picky. But I love the 5.1 surround system of the TL's. I have a lot of DVD Audio discs, so I really enjoy listening to them in the car.
If 5.1 disks were readily available I would have gone a different route. No processor for sure, probably just upgraded speakers and a decent amp. I love true 5.1.

If you ever hear a high end audio setup you might get addicted. I'm all about speed but the car sounds so good I just drive it easy and enjoy the music.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
A(2): You fool with it some more and screw everything up.