Putting a system in my '05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
'04 TL SSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Putting a system in my '05 TL

FOund this place just recently and thought it would be a nice place to join up with. So here it goes.. I had a '07 accord lease and it ran up so I bought a '05 TL (no nav). I had a pretty decent system which included:
  • 2 10' W3v3 HO Box
  • 2 Alpine Type-S front component speakers
  • 2 Alpine Type-S rear coaxial speakers
  • Pioneer amp 550 RMS
  • Alpine CDA-9886 Head unit

I want to start installing all these pieces that have been boxed for a few weeks but know a little more about what I'm doing before I can get my hands dirty.

Are there any compatibility issues with the climate control for the alpine head unit?
Will the steering wheel controls work with the aftermarket radio?
With the subwoofer in the trunk has anyone experienced any rattles with this amount of bass?
And how hard is it to remove the stock subwoofer?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure about some things before i start tearing my cars electronics to pieces.. And im sure I'll think of more questions. Thanks in advance. :P

Last edited by Mike Litoris; 04-17-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here we go again.....

this is becomming funny.......

welcome..... there are tons of questions like this been answered a lot of times.
best place to start is here

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/3g-tl-audio-electronics-faq-605299/

good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 PM
'04 TL SSM

Sorry for being a noob to this place. Thanks;
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Mike,

to sum some these up. it all depends on how far you want to take this.

1 you will need to run power cable to the back
2. you can run the remote along with the power cable. or you can tap into XM unit in the trunk. if you are going to go with latter route you may want to add a 12 volt relay. to get the full consistant 12 volts, if you will ever upgrade or add more amps you will not regret this step.

I would start by disconnecting factory sub and get a LOC(line out converter). get a descent one.
out of LOC into your amp, then into your current "2 10' W3v3 HO Box"

and see how that will sound.
as far as speakers, more then likely you might... and I do say might be desapointed if you will use them on factory amplifier.

with that said you may have to get another 4 channel amp and power them up.

Now for your "Alpine CDA-9886" head unit and it is a nice unit. unless you will do custom dash kit. it will not work.
unfortunatly there are no kits for this vehicle. so we are stock with factory head unit, or make a custom dash kit in order to fit your alpine unit.

another alternatimve is to modify the the pockets below for your alpine.

hope this helps a little
good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
'04 TL SSM

thanks, fade. do you think that a Cleansweep from JL would be an alternative to boost the sound quality of the system? I dont know much about clean sweep and its affect on sound quality but it seems like a viable alternative to the alpine.

everything else seems simple enough, i might even buy another amp: one for my speakers and one for my sub box.

Last edited by Mike Litoris; 04-17-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 PM
B A N N E D

Cleansweeps would increase the power and control on your Stock HU

but it all depends which one you get i know theres 3 or 4 of em with different controls
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor

I personaly do not use or care for JL audio product. oh oh I started a hate war on my self.....yeah boooooo.... what ever....

there are tons of better products out there.
I am not a dealer.... so I care less what some may say regarding product a versus b. I am a consumer and specs talk to me not the name on a product.

with thaid said.

JL audio will have very decent components in their equipment. (there name is on the line)
but as far as the Cleansweeps goes it is only 4 ch max.... if you want to retain all 6 ch look elsewhere. like audiocontrol, arc audio, phoenix gold(yes I did said phoenix gold) they still make a good product. zapco and so worth.

rockford 3sixty is one of the popular, reason well they don't need one they are like JL. hehehehe
zapco is pricey but dam good, I hope I can say that.

but if you are trying to make easy on your wallet take a look @

phoenix gold TLD66. you will not be desapointed. in fact that is one of the best solutions out there in my opinion.

this unit does exactly what is designed to do "boost volts" nothing more nothing less.

after this unit look at audio control. they have awesome products. they do have a line driver that will blend quite nicely into your factory deck.

if you want to go for more control take a look @ ARC audio. very reasinble on your wallet and has a tons of features.

oh yeah model? SRI - ARC SRI OEM Integration Module. Check them all out.
by the way, JBL is comming out with one actually may be on a market already. (was at the CES show) so look at that one as well not sure on the model number but if you do a search you will find it.

as far as the amplifier goes, yes you will need one.... but there are so many, and it all depends on who you talked too will give you their own opinion.

example: it is like going to a forum this one and asking if a bmw is better then TL well guess what the majority of the answers will be..... hope this makes sence.

Once again, do not judge a book by it's cover.
dont just go by power rating cause this days that is crap. 3000 watts @ 1 ohm ok... that's great.....

what electrical system Do you need to pull that off? see what I mean.
look at the size of the it, look at the fuse rating. an amp with a fuse say 30amp will not do 1000 watts into any onm's. and I really care less about the CEA rating system...

if I was gonna replace my amplifiers today, I would look into head room. see music has peaks and if amp can not reproduce those peaks it will clip(distort the sound).

any how hope this helps a little. but if yo
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fade2blk
I personaly do not use or care for JL audio product. oh oh I started a hate war on my self.....yeah boooooo.... what ever....

there are tons of better products out there.
I am not a dealer.... so I care less what some may say regarding product a versus b. I am a consumer and specs talk to me not the name on a product.
oh boy...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
oh boy...
Like I said.... I CARE LESS. what some may say regarding company A versus company B.

Look at it this way... if some of the dealers would be selling say only kenwood..... guess what they would be pushing then.....?

yeah I started a hate war upon myself, but I care less.

if all this guys want to push say JL down my throat... better sounding etc... etc... I will gladly give them my address. and let them send products my way.

till then it is only an opinion.....

as far as I can remember. product a has won just as many events as product b.... get my point.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 AM
'04 TL SSM

try not to flame my thread pleaseee.

thanks fade, ill look into those man.

@Adrenazine: i can only find one cleansweep base unit and a bunch of them that add-on to it. is that what you meant?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Here you go Mike.. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94.

on the same note take a look @ MTX req 5, they have a very similar unit to JL.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fade2blk
Like I said.... I CARE LESS. what some may say regarding company A versus company B.

Look at it this way... if some of the dealers would be selling say only kenwood..... guess what they would be pushing then.....?

yeah I started a hate war upon myself, but I care less.

if all this guys want to push say JL down my throat... better sounding etc... etc... I will gladly give them my address. and let them send products my way.

till then it is only an opinion.....

as far as I can remember. product a has won just as many events as product b.... get my point.
we see eye to eye
Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Mike. do you a search in google for JBL MS-8. see what you will come up with.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 AM
'04 TL SSM

something expensive and crazy good. not exactly what im looking for but dope nonetheless. im trying to stay around 300-400 bones.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Hehe then look at the ARC unit. it will astonish you.... especially for the price.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Mike lets try to answer the rest of your questions.

Originally Posted by Mike Litoris
Are there any compatibility issues with the climate control for the alpine head unit?
audio does not have any effect on a/c system.

Will the steering wheel controls work with the aftermarket radio?
NO it will not. but they do make wire harnesses that can be integrates into aftermarket radio and @ that point yes it will work....

look @ the brand like PAC and such and all the controls will work.

With the subwoofer in the trunk has anyone experienced any rattles with this amount of bass?
The rear deck will rattle, just driving over rought roads much less with bass.
There are ton of info on how to fix rattles. you will need to do a search.

but I will say this, do not try to use dampening material to fix a rattle... in the end it will still rattle.

fix the rattles 1st, then use dampening material to do what it is desgined to do stopping reverberant "ringing" vibration and eliminate certain frequency vibrations.... In the end you will be more pleased with the end result.

And how hard is it to remove the stock subwoofer?
Honestly it depends on your skill level.

1. you will have to remove the back seat.
2. remove the back side pillars.
3. remove the rear deck
4. unbolt 4 bolts.
5. lift and unplug the subwoofer.

It might look hard but in reality it is not.
Once again do a search and you will find step by step.

Hope this answers some of these.