Problems with getting full functionality after replacing Navigation Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with getting full functionality after replacing Navigation Drive

I bought a 04 TL Navi in October of last year, and around christmas, I installed a Grom Audio USB adapter to play music from my iphone. After I started driving for a while, the Navigation would start to randomly reboot. It was annoying, but just happened occasionally and I didn't think much about it. About a month ago, the thing starting rebooting constantly, staying on the Acura globe screen for 10-15 seconds and rebooting, and staying in that loop. I pulled the drive and tried to clean it, still didn't work. Sent it off to get repair at a different place than Alpine (ebay shop with good reviews), and after receiving it, they called me and told the circuit board inside was shot, not the laser (which seems to be the most common problem). So I ended up buying a Alpine refurbed navi drive from them, and got it installed. After I got that installed, I realized my clock was off and it was booting up with the Honda splash screen. Searching through the forums here, I finally got that one figured out. My last problem is getting my Grom audio usb adapter working again. Currently when I hit the XM radio button, it does nothing. I've taken everything apart and checked the connections, everything seems snug. I went into diagnostic mode, and I have faults on both of the CANs, and if I go to the Navi overview screen, the XM box is red, but so is the Air-Con box, FI-ECU and Meter boxes. I don't know what those are, and if there is something I might have unhooked when messing in the trunk or on the side panel where the Grom adapter is hooked up. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated, I just want to listen to my phone while driving my Acura lol.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM
3rd Gear

Just a quick update on this. I disassembled the entire dash and trunk to remove the navigation screen/cd changer and front controls so I could properly check all the wiring. After some troubleshooting, I ended up disconnecting my Grom audio device and rehooking up the xm unit to see if that would operate like it was supposed to. Sure enough, XM works no problem. When I go and install the Grom audio adapter again, unhooking the XM module in the trunk (per grom instructions) the radio does not allow me to select XM. So it would appear that somehow my Grom unit is bad. Kind of weird timing that this happened after having issues with my Navigation unit. So that solved the Red XM box. But in my diagnostic menu, I still have the red Air-Con, FI-ECU and Meter boxes. Any idea what those are? I hadn't noticed any other problems with the car so maybe I'll leave those alone, But still kind of weird that not everything checks out.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

I had the red FI_ECU and Meter boxes in the Navi System Link menu. I also had red NG fails for F-CAN and B-CAN. Other symptoms were GPS position would freeze the resume, voice prompts from unit were garbled, and eventually periodic to continual reboots of the system.

I sent the trunk DVD unit to Alpine for repair around Jan 1, 2018. The fee was about $60 for diagnostic (if no repair possible or made) or $358 for repair. It took them a couple of weeks to turn it around. The service action said: Component,Electrical Part-Defective,Power Circuit,PWB,Replace PWB,Electrical Component

I reinstalled it today and everything that was failing above now works. My 2004 6MT is still going strong with 135000 original owner miles.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by runopenloop
I had the red FI_ECU and Meter boxes in the Navi System Link menu. I also had red NG fails for F-CAN and B-CAN. Other symptoms were GPS position would freeze the resume, voice prompts from unit were garbled, and eventually periodic to continual reboots of the system.

I sent the trunk DVD unit to Alpine for repair around Jan 1, 2018. The fee was about $60 for diagnostic (if no repair possible or made) or $358 for repair. It took them a couple of weeks to turn it around. The service action said: Component,Electrical Part-Defective,Power Circuit,PWB,Replace PWB,Electrical Component

I reinstalled it today and everything that was failing above now works. My 2004 6MT is still going strong with 135000 original owner miles.
Can you give me the info of where you sent yours for repair? I have a spare drive in the basement I'd like to send off to get repaired by them, I didn't know they were still doing it.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

You should use the web link in my post above to get the right info for your state. It looks like they may have east and west coast locations. But, here's what I used:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
2012 Abalone Ave, Unit D.
Torrance, CA 90501

Phone: 1-800-421-2284 ext. 860407
Fax: 1-714-373-4822
Hours: 8:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M., P.S.T. Mon. - Fri.