Problem with pairing the phone.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010 | 11:15 PM
Advanced

Question Problem with pairing the phone.

Hi There,

Maybe someone can help me with my issue.

I have the 2006 TL for 4 years now and never had issues pairing the phone. I paired my LG phone since I got the car and never had issues with calling. On Friday for some reason I lost the pairing and now the phone will not pair. Initially I thought it was the phone issues, but then I tried to pair the Droid and that would not pair also. I am thinking there is something wrong with pairing in TL.

Any ideas how to fix it. My warranty has expired already and I am not sure how much it will cost to fix in the dealer.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2010 | 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Check thread for Replace Bluetooth Module
Old 09-28-2010 | 11:38 PM
Instructor

more info please. does it begin to pair then fail?

Last edited by legendbliss; 09-28-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2010 | 09:13 AM
Advanced

The car response to all the voice commands. I set my phones to the discovery mode, but the BT module in the car does not find anything. After about couple of minutes it times out.

Follow up question to my reply.

The Acura technical bulletin that tells you where it is and how to remove it. Since I the car response to all the commands when I speak, but does not find the phone, do I need to replace both units or just the top one?

Any suggestions at all?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-02-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 10-01-2010 | 12:04 PM
Intermediate

I have 06 TL and just had the Hands Free Link (HFL) module replaced on Weds this week. Same symptoms-BT could not find any phones (LG phone had been paired for about 2 years). In my case, I have a laptop with bluetooth that I was able to pair the phone (to verify that BT works on the phone).

In my case HFL failed completely. System would not switch over to HFL when you pushed the button on steering wheel. Took it in for service at Acura. They hook it up to Honda HDS diagnostic computer and there are no error codes-but HFL does not work.

Honda definitely has a quality issue with the HFL. TSBs exist for 2004 and some 2005 and 2007-2008 (this means there are issues across the entire 3G run). Neither of which apply specifically for 2006 (so dealerships have to be creative when replacing them under warranty if they have not failed totally). Replacement HFL MSRP for $650+ depending on color of interior (as the module is installed in a plastic housing same color a roof liner). MSRP for light cream/ivory color (NBP or Royal Blue car with wood trim) is $710. Acura Delray FL has lowest online prices I could find.

If you are on good terms with your dealership-they can advocate for a "Good Will" warranty repair even though might be out of warranty. In my case Acura denied a Good Will claim-but I was able to negotiate a substantial discount in the parts department-and just replaced it myself using the illustrated instructions in the TSBs located in the 3G Garage.

Some members have reported (numerous threads) bad HFLs leading to drained or dead batteries (dead battery syndrone-DBS). I noticed that after HFL died that the area in the overhead console to the left of the maps lights where the HFL module is installed was really hot-even if left overnight. So it draws power even if it is broken. At the costs of replacing unit-I seriously considered not doing it. Some members have removed Fuse #6 Backup to cut power to HFL (not sure what else it cuts power for). To avoid DBS-I had planned to remove the unit per TSB and disconnect the 20 pin connector for the HFL module. For NAV equipped cars-Do not know if unplugging will cause an error as HFL is integrated into the NAV system (ie. NAV has capability to dial a phone number for a point of interested listed in the system). HFL does show up as a module on NAV diagnostic screen.