Previous owner coded HFL - any way around it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Previous owner coded HFL - any way around it?

I picked up my 05' TL about 3 weeks ago and after finally playing with all the other buttons and features I tried the HFL. The previous owner passcoded it. Does any one know of a way to get around this? I figure if I have to I can contact the dealer to have them contact her, but I'd like to take care of it myself. Much thanks!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
I picked up my 05' TL about 3 weeks ago and after finally playing with all the other buttons and features I tried the HFL. The previous owner passcoded it. Does any one know of a way to get around this? I figure if I have to I can contact the dealer to have them contact her, but I'd like to take care of it myself. Much thanks!
I guess I'm unsure about your problem. There isn't any "pass code" on my 04TL HFL system. You go into the "Phone Setup" option after pressing the HFL command button, and say "List" to list the previous owner's name tag for their HFL pairing. Then you can give the "Delete" command to delete their HFL phone pairing. No password was required on my HFL system.

You will also want to delete each of the phone entries that the previous owner stored into the HFL memory. This is accessed through the "Phonebook" command, followed by the "List" command.

You may have some problems accessing the previous owner's voice tag entries, since the Acura (Johnson Controls) HFL interface is "speaker dependant", not "speaker independant". This means the HFL is trying to form an exact match between the speaker's voice to the recording in memory. If you are a guy, and the previous owner was a gal, you may have a low success rate at getting the voice tags recognized with your voice.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe you can lock the HFL system so others cannot get into it..

https://techinfo.honda.com/

On the left click on owners manual then select your year and look in there.. I believe only the dealer can resolve this.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
what happens when you press the phone button? anything? i'm pretty sure you can restore it to factory settings.....just not quite sure of the voice command. press phone button and say "help", this will give you a list of commands for that particular menu.

Originally Posted by Timmahh
I believe you can lock the HFL system so others cannot get into it..
Originally Posted by Timmahh

https://techinfo.honda.com/

On the left click on owners manual then select your year and look in there.. I believe only the dealer can resolve this.

Timmah,

i was just curios as to why the 2004 TL OM only has 1 page. every site ive been to like the one you listed, they have only have one page. probably somethin i'm doin wrong.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First off.. oh my god you broke the style sheet..

Second

They are linked pages, the first page is the TOC with links to the remaining pages.. so if you did a right click, then save target as, and put it on your desktop it will not work.. same issue if Adobe opens it in a new Acrobat window vs. in your browser.. One of them is the full manual I think..
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B070500.PDF

Check the Tech Line Article in the link above. Page 2, Left hand column.

There is a way for to get in and reset the password. However, it also says that the Owners Manual has a procedure to clear the whole HFL system - Password, Paired Phones and Phone Book.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B070500.PDF

Check the Tech Line Article in the link above. Page 2, Left hand column.

There is a way for to get in and reset the password. However, it also says that the Owners Manual has a procedure to clear the whole HFL system - Password, Paired Phones and Phone Book.

I'll look into the owners manual more thoroughly. It hasn't been very helpful in the past. Clearing everything out would be ideal, I don't want any of the previous owners junk. Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot when i get home from work today.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine is passcoded... After starting the car the first time, when you hit the hfl button, it says the "the system is locked, please enter the 4 digit passcode".

I want this feature turned off... I've yet to figure out how. I've rerun system setup numerous times and SAID NO to the system security... but the system always acknowledges a Yes.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

maybe this will help
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Mine is passcoded... After starting the car the first time, when you hit the hfl button, it says the "the system is locked, please enter the 4 digit passcode".

I want this feature turned off... I've yet to figure out how. I've rerun system setup numerous times and SAID NO to the system security... but the system always acknowledges a Yes.
This is what mine has been doing too. It sucks. Sho_Nuff...thanks for the info, hopefully thats the only problem.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 AM
francois

hfl locked

Hello Lads,
I had the same problem when I bought my 05 tl.After many visits I was told that
it had to be done with special software from acura tech .I tried everything including system clear and everything in the manual.The bottom line is that if the previous owner has paired the hfl to a specific phone with a code it cannot be cleared by
the user.It finally took them four hours which I was not charged for.The dealer told me that the code is supposed to be provided to the dealer when the car is traded in.
I wish you luck and hope this gives you some guidance
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Sorry guys, but take a look at that Tech Line Article again.

The Dealer can clear the password "easily" with an "HDS" - don't know what that is.

OR

The dealer can replace the HFL Control Unit (doubt if thats warranty, but they'd probably Good Will it, especially if it "came" that way.)

OR

There’s actually one further option available, but it’s kind of a heavy-handed approach: clearing the system. It’s a straight-forward procedure that anyone can do and you don’t need an HDS. Consider this option carefully, though, because it not only clears the password, it also clears any paired phones and all entries in the phonebook. If you choose to go this route, you’ll find the procedure in the applicable O/M.
I had assumed that "the applicable O/M" was Owners Manual. Maybe it's one of the service manuals?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
francois

hfl

Not to belabour the hfl issue but the dealer has never replaced one for this code issue.Nothing can be done by the owner unless you have that number.Clearing the system of all its contents is only possible if it is not passcode protected by the original owner.Acura here in Canada tries to insist on the code bieng turned in to avoid them spending useless service dollars.This is caused by dealer laziness when the car comes back in.Attempting to guess the four digit code may also cause issues
in the long run if it is done repeatedly.Go to the dealer and they will clear the whole
system and start fresh.When mine was finally cleared the original phone book
of the previous owner was still intact.In order to pair my v3 I then did the system clear and did not opt for the passcode.Opting for the passcode option depending on how you do it may then ask you for that code everytime you turn your car on.Only enter the four digit code for your phone pairing.Once your phone book in the car is cleared of all previous data you are free.This whole process took about a week
with the help of the dealer.As a final note there was never any charge for the work.
Francois
Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Pro

Verdict: I need to get the code from the previous owner. If I can't, I guess its off to the dealer I go to have the system cleared. Nothing else has seemed to work so far, thanks for the input everyone.