Potentially Dangerous Problem with Navi

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, technology like navi is not designed to drive your car for you, just aid you... only some dumb ass would go complaining about a simple mistake that a otherwise sound piece of equipment made
Old 08-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this was the same argument that the crew of the Exxon Valdez used when it ran aground.

"My Navi said to take a turn here, so I did!"
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some insurance company (Allstate?) started running a commercial in my area with a guy tooling down the road in a Lincoln LS with a navi and voice guidance. After making several successful turns in compliance to the navi, the guy hears "turn right", cranks the wheel and immediately crashes through a store window. After the glass shards stop raining down, the navi completes its sentence: "in 50 feet".
Old 08-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Racer

^Maybe that was the OP...
Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

If you are going to instantly follow the navigation's directions without question, everything else be damned, you don't truly need to be driving. It is meant as a system to "aid" you, not to control you. In the loaner RL I had for a couple of weeks, it made several errors. Had a followed its directions exactly I would have taken it through countless lawns, parking lots, and even through a valley and up a mountain at one point.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by t951
I'm curious, has one person agreed with you that this is dangerous?
Hey, give the fellow a break. . . He, honestly thought it was a problem worth bringing to our attention. That he tried to contact Navtech is commendable. Yes, sometimes the Navi can be goofy and dead wrong. Hopefully, Navtech listens and tries to improve their product with successive updated disks. My gripe is the high cost of those disk updates. So rant on young? fellow. . .

Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
Some insurance company (Allstate?) started running a commercial in my area with a guy tooling down the road in a Lincoln LS with a navi and voice guidance. After making several successful turns in compliance to the navi, the guy hears "turn right", cranks the wheel and immediately crashes through a store window. After the glass shards stop raining down, the navi completes its sentence: "in 50 feet".
haha, saw that commercial, it's halarious.

That's why the stupid nag screen is there with that stupid ok button. It is for people like him, who would turn off the highway with no exit. If those people didn't exist Acura would never have put that stupid thing there.

Did anybody ever bother to read it the disclaimer? This guy would never have a chance to sue anybody or make them change it because of the disclaimer. That's why it's there!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Back in a TL again.

Talking

Originally Posted by thane11
In the setup screen you probably had the voice set to female. She gave me bad directions all the time. Switched to the male voice and no problems ever since.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

went to test drive the nissan armada with my brother in law....as were driving the navigation turns on and says left in one mile "brother in law: can we change the voice to a guy instead of a girl i have enough women in my life telling me what to do i dont need this one to do it to lol i think it relates to ^^^ lol
Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by thane11
In the setup screen you probably had the voice set to female. She gave me bad directions all the time. Switched to the male voice and no problems ever since.
I tried the male voice, but he was always lost. I think it's because he's like the rest of us and won't take the time to get directions.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
. . . I've had my navi do some strange stuff. For instance, if I have it calculate a route to my local Costco, it really messes up the directions . . .
At least it can find your local Costco. Mine can't find either of the closest two (or the two closest Home Depots, or any of a host of others I've tried).
Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
07 TL-Navi 5AT, NBP

Don't Blame Acura (Alpine). Just an error in the mapping database. Every day she wants me to take the left turn onto the road to my office. Left hand turn over a jersey wall to plummet to my death from the overpass I'm on. That interchange USED to be a left turn until they redid the road and made it an overpass...7 YEARS AGO!!!

For Christmas I was given a portable GPS, she too had a death wish for me. I blamed it on the el-cheapo unit, 3 weeks later my new TL's GPS did the same thing.

COMMON SENSE, pay attention. How many times have you gotten lost using a Mapquest or Yahoo Maps printout???
Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarShopper
Sounds like a real dangerous problem with the nav system.

My uncle, who is totally blind, has been thinking about finally getting a car. What with all the technology in new cars he figured it might be about time. A nav equipped TL was one of his top choices. With the voice recognition he wouldn't need to feel his way around the controls that he can't see. And then of course the nav system tells him where to go and when to turn.
:killer:

But this valuable thread alerted me to this dangerous problem. Now I don't think this is the car for a blind man to get. Not if he can't depend on the nav system to guide him. You may well have saved his life.

While its more expensive, I think he is going to have to save his money and get the new Infiniti M45. It has the voice recognition, nav, and the added feature of intelligent cruise control so he doesn't rear end cars he can't see on the freeway. And I haven't heard of any nav problems with that car.

Thanks again.
wouldn't your uncle want that self-parking lexus LS?

I mean there are plenty of rich assholes out there driving cars that are too much for them... I think that they're pretty much the only people who are really in danger here... them and total retards... either way, they shouldn't be driving a TL
Old 02-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Space for Rent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy thread-resurrection, Batman!