Portable GPS vs. In-dash aftermarket vs. Acura Navi

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Portable GPS vs. In-dash aftermarket vs. Acura Navi

I'm looking forward to buy a certified 04+ TL by september 08.

The thing is that I like my sound to be nice, crystal clear nice. I need to have control over it (bass, HPF, LPF, treb, mid, etc). Therefore, I'm planning to put my actual sound system into my future car (subs & amps). The sad part of the 3rd gen TL is that there is no mounting kit available yet (???) for head units neither for double-dins. Some of you buy that dice adapter to plug in their ipods into navi or non-navi. That's cool, but you still don't have total control over your sound.

Here in Canada, there is like a 2 to 5k$ difference from a base to NAVI. Some of you seem to praise the NAVI system while some find that it lacks of important features and updates (POIs for instance).

Portable GPS are flooding the market right now, but they are kind of unesthetic (taking it out everytime you get out of the car). The positive things about these things is that you can update them through Internet and bring them whitle you visit a new city and all of its POIs.

In-dash double-dins require that you put some extra money to make a custom mounting kit. Some of you have done it, i've seen the pictures. Kind of awkard though. IMO' The best place to put it should be where the temp gauges are but you need it to have all the infos (heating seats, car temp, etc.). With this option, I could have total control of my sound and multimedia features. I'm thinking about the Pioneer AVIC D3 right now (to stay within my budget)

About the ACURA NAVI, since i'm buying used, I would have to update the system by buying the latest DVD-Rom available from Acura (around 300$ CDN). And like i said earlier, some of you are grunting about the lack of efficency of the POIs. Backup cam would be an advantage here.

The best thing I could imagine would be to have both NAVI and a aftermarket double-din screen together (without nav). That is if i'm lucky to find a NAVI without going over budget (lower than 25$k CDN).

Considering my needs, what is my best option?
Go non-navi + aftermarket Nav (low price car, custom mounting kit required)
Go Acura Navi + save up for some customization later on
Go Portable GPS + aftermarket double-din (without navi)
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DefTL

The thing is that I like my sound to be nice, crystal clear nice. I need to have control over it (bass, HPF, LPF, treb, mid, etc). Therefore, I'm planning to put my actual sound system into my future car (subs & amps). The sad part of the 3rd gen TL is that there is no mounting kit available yet (???) for head units neither for double-dins. Some of you buy that dice adapter to plug in their ipods into navi or non-navi. That's cool, but you still don't have total control over your sound.

Here in Canada, there is like a 2 to 5k$ difference from a base to NAVI. Some of you seem to praise the NAVI system while some find that it lacks of important features and updates (POIs for instance).

Portable GPS are flooding the market right now, but they are kind of unesthetic (taking it out everytime you get out of the car). The positive things about these things is that you can update them through Internet and bring them whitle you visit a new city and all of its POIs.

In-dash double-dins require that you put some extra money to make a custom mounting kit. Some of you have done it, i've seen the pictures. Kind of awkard though. IMO' The best place to put it should be where the temp gauges are but you need it to have all the infos (heating seats, car temp, etc.). With this option, I could have total control of my sound and multimedia features. I'm thinking about the Pioneer AVIC D3 right now (to stay within my budget)

About the ACURA NAVI, since i'm buying used, I would have to update the system by buying the latest DVD-Rom available from Acura (around 300$ CDN). And like i said earlier, some of you are grunting about the lack of efficency of the POIs. Backup cam would be an advantage here.

The best thing I could imagine would be to have both NAVI and a aftermarket double-din screen together (without nav). That is if i'm lucky to find a NAVI without going over budget (lower than 25$k CDN).

Most double din units (i.e., Pioneer Avic) can't be programmed while the car is moving. Personally, I find that to be a major pain. Double Din units are also relatively easy to steal.

So, if it were me, I'd either go with the OEM navi (which I personally have an love) or go with a Garmin Nuvi.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
Most double din units (i.e., Pioneer Avic) can't be programmed while the car is moving. Personally, I find that to be a major pain. Double Din units are also relatively easy to steal.

So, if it were me, I'd either go with the OEM navi (which I personally have an love) or go with a Garmin Nuvi.
My Avic Z3 has been bypassed...meaning I could program & watch dvds while car is in motion. Z1s, Z2s...can easily be upgraded to Z3s....simply by writing/downloading new software to existing HD or new HD.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Instructor

I am not into serious sound systems, so the factory sound + Navi would satisfy me, but I really regretted not getting the Navi option. Portables are asking to have your car broking into. Pioneer Navi is a good option I think, but D3, Z1 & Z2 are discontinued. Z2s are going for cheap, upgrade that to Z3 by software (that is all is needed). There is another option....carpc, do a search on this forum for that.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM
now with four rings

wish I had the Acura Nav...but I bought my wife the Garmin Nuvi 260W and it's sweeeeeeeeeet...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

About security, I'll be putting a Viper 2way-pager or Compustar before install of the audio system. Of course, I can still be a victim, but at least, I might get the chance to beat or scare some crap out of the thief if caught near my car.

You've got a point there with double-dins being able to get stolen more often. I might point that out if I choose to do a custom mounting kit.

like mb90 said, there is a way to bypass and i intend to do so.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Instructor

I have computstar installed on my other car, it's great about the two way...but I often get paraniod about accidently disarming it by accident without knowing.

Search for my threads....you'll see a couple of installs of Avics, D3 & Z3.
Also beefed up the factory alarm by adding glass break & shock sensor to the factory alarm.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Acura OEM Navi FTW.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Instructor

I can speak on both the stock navi.. and the Pioneer D3... I have factory nav in my car with an ipod adapter and love it.. The nav is great.. and i have a d3 in my wifes 08 pathfinder with the bluetooth and ipod....i feel the stock nav and bluetooth function much better...But on the other hand i love the pioneers ipod interface much more than my peripheral interface. I would suggest playing with both and seeing which you like better.... just my
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
aTLien

i heard in canada the type s' dont come fully loaded, which prob sucks. not sure if thats true

here in the US all type s' come fully loaded i believe, including navi.

OEM Acura Navi FTW!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

False. Canada's type s comes fully loaded since 07. I tried one last week.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

Whoa...your answers just got me...more confused

Garmin 260 looks good indeed (cheapest solution), most of you Navi owners don't seem unhappy, some non-navi owners seem to regret not having bought Navi from the beginning?

Question for NAVI owners: what about POIs? Aren't you disappointed? Ain't buying a 300$ disc make it more expensive in the long run?

Mb190: why regretting Navi that much. Doesn't your aftermarket head unit satisfies your needs in Navi and sound?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Garmin 260 looks good indeed (cheapest solution), most of you Navi owners don't seem unhappy, some non-navi owners seem to regret not having bought Navi from the beginning?

Question for NAVI owners: what about POIs? Aren't you disappointed? Ain't buying a 300$ disc make it more expensive in the long run?

Mb190: why regretting Navi that much. Doesn't your aftermarket head unit satisfies your needs in Navi and sound?
Sorry for the confusion, typed too quick I guess...

My #1 choice would be factory Navi (this is what I regret not getting).
So I have no choice but to get aftermarket, but I want a factory look as much as possible. So far I am happy with my setup.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 AM
now with four rings

it really depends on what you want...

yes having the Acura Nav built-in to your car is very nice and clean looking...plus i think they have one of the best stock navigations....

...or you could get a portable GPS, like the Garmin...the one i bought (260W) is widescreen, speaks the street names and all other locations (text-to-speech) and is very portable (fits in your pocket it's so slim)...so if you rent a car or something, you can take it with you in there...

so built-in with a clean look or portable and stuck to your windshield? either way, you'll get where you wanna go...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My tomtom 920 is very nice, and there is software that will allow you to put movies on it. Once i install my USAspec i will have the sound routed through that, so i can watch movies and have the sound play through my stereo. I am excited

Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

blkaspec: thanks for posting, but one thing is missing in your setup...SOUND!!!

I guess that's where my priority is.

I was looking at carpcs last night...that looks also amazing, but requires time and patience. If it's more efficent than stock Navi, i might consider it.

But there is still something inside my head telling me that aftermarket double-din (properly installed) is the way to go. The location of it might be the problem here.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
From an economic standpoint aftermarket GPS's are more cost effective and cheap and might do a better job at keeping up to date. But as far as looks of luxury and being built into the car, thas where the money difference is and you have to ask yourself if you prefer that or not.

I dont regret getting my TL with navi, all my cars have navi built in and always will juts because the add ones IMO might look alright in Nissans and Hondas but in luxury cars look out of place. If you already know you want to get the Navi just get it built in.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
blkaspec: thanks for posting, but one thing is missing in your setup...SOUND!!!

Yeah, right now....but like my second sentence said, that will be coming soon, and will also provide me my Ipod hookup. I just need to rip apart my dash to hook it all up. But soon, very soon.

Its no stock setup, but it a lot cheaper and i can take it with me. I really wished mine came with nav, but i got this car just how i wanted right off the lot for a pretty good price, the only thing it didnt have was nav. The full aspec came "stock" though.

I was just trying to provide an option, and maybe a reason not to get a Garmin. NOT to say you cant do the same with a Garmin, i just know you CAN do it with the TomTom.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
I have had a non-navi TL, a TL with nav and a TL Carputer. All I can say is the stock navigation is most likely tied with the car pc. The nav system from acura is great, the integration it provides is one of it's best features. If I were in your shoes, I would just get the TL with nav and just do an audio upgrading doing this:
Factory HU -> 3sixty.2 audio processor -> aftermarket AMPS -> aftermarket speakers.

The factory HU is really good, and it also has the systems for the HFL system, which comes back to integration, when you use the HFL system, get directions or voice commands, the car will turn down the fan for a second, stop the music, and make it easier to understand for both the car and you. An aftermarket one will surely not do that.

IF you want to save money, and have an easier time with aftermarket stuff, look into getting a used honda accord.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Pretty interesting csmeance...i'll do a little research on that one. thanks for the tip.

what about ipod connectivity...i'd have to go with dice or the other one (usa something)?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Pretty interesting csmeance...i'll do a little research on that one. thanks for the tip.

what about ipod connectivity...i'd have to go with dice or the other one (usa something)?
For the IPOD, theres a few unit that offer integration:
USA-SPEC -> no text, but full control from both car and ipod at same time
DICE ->text, but can only control from IPOD to my knowledge
Peripheral-> TEXT, retain XM, 2 AUX inputs, no ipod control from ipod, car only.

Many like the dice, but the Peripheral seems good just not to many have tried it yet.

Also forgot to add in my other post:

The car PC is wonderful, you have the ability to do so much with it, but it does become a bit tedious to maintain, for example, I had my car pc in my tl for a few months. I loved it, but it was really odd to use, you would wait a min. of 30 seconds for it to start up, then for you to select music. You could only use the touchscreen and not the radio controls to control the radio, but you would have a very nice navi system and also an MP3/WMA/DVD player as well. As well, I would have to hook up an external monitor and leave the car running for a bit so I could download all of the windows updates, that would hurt your wallet a lot now with gas prices being so high.

Overal, this is my opinion of things:
NAVI PROS
Integration
Full warranty on car
Retain 6 disk changer, HFL and voice commands
Looks really good
Can become DVD player

Navi CONS
185 dollars to update
Out dated POI's (send an message to alpine to update it then on the next dvd)

Carputer PROS
Full computer cabilities in your car
MP3/WMA player
DVD player
Internet

CON's
Waste gas updating PC
Can only use touchscreen to change songs/applications
Have to wait a bit for the PC to start up
Waranty void on electrical systems, esp HVAC system

If you did buy the accord, I think to it would be between an indash aftermarket or a stock navi as both are great. The PC can become a bit frivolous for everyday use.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

I think I got it covered. Thanks to all of y'all!