Pocket PC Smartphones (Eten M500, XDA II/III, HP H6315, ...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pocket PC Smartphones (Eten M500, XDA II/III, HP H6315, ...)

Has anybody successfully used any of the Pocket PC smartphones with the TL or RL? I'm considering getting a Pocket PC (am quite impressed with the Eten M500, seems to have some good reviews and is comparitively affordable).

I heard that the HP h6315 works after a firmware update. Has anyone tried the HP smartphones? Also, has anyone tried the Nokia 9300 or 9500? Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't find any info on the newer smartphones. Please post your experiences. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This might not relate directly to your regional needs but I have an Audiovox PPC6600 PocketPC Phone and it works very well with my 2005 TL HFL.

This is the same platform as Siemens SX66, XV6600, PPC6601 (All made by HTC) but with various configurations. (With or without Camera, GSM or CDMA)
The GSM version of that platform has built-in Wi-Fi.

There is only 2 things missing, Signal Strenght Indication and Battery Indication which is not showned on the display.

Best Regards from Montreal

frenchnew

Originally Posted by MeltdowN
Has anybody successfully used any of the Pocket PC smartphones with the TL or RL? I'm considering getting a Pocket PC (am quite impressed with the Eten M500, seems to have some good reviews and is comparitively affordable).

I heard that the HP h6315 works after a firmware update. Has anyone tried the HP smartphones? Also, has anyone tried the Nokia 9300 or 9500? Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't find any info on the newer smartphones. Please post your experiences. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the update frenchnew. It's good to know that there's at least one breed of PPCs that work with the HFL. The SX66 is a really good phone, but it might be a bit too large for me. Without a contract, I haven't seen it lower than $650.00 anywhere. I'm looking for a GSM, preferably quad band, phone. All these phones use the Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. From what I have read, Microsoft's default Bluetooth implementation is pretty useless and it is up to the manufacturers to beef it up with profiles. With that in mind, I wonder in the Eten M500 has the Handsfree profile (since it also runs on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition).

BTW, you might be interested to know that most of the service providers and phone manufacturers are not going to provide a free update to Windows Mobile 5.0, which is rather unfortunate, given that the OS ROM is said to work fine on the older phones.

Originally Posted by frenchnew
This might not relate directly to your regional needs but I have an Audiovox PPC6600 PocketPC Phone and it works very well with my 2005 TL HFL.

This is the same platform as Siemens SX66, XV6600, PPC6601 (All made by HTC) but with various configurations. (With or without Camera, GSM or CDMA)
The GSM version of that platform has built-in Wi-Fi.

There is only 2 things missing, Signal Strenght Indication and Battery Indication which is not showned on the display.

Best Regards from Montreal

frenchnew
Old 07-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a side note, whatever bluetooth enabled phone you get, be sure that you can at least try it out before commiting to an expensive contract.

If you have been browsing thse forums for a while, you will note that it's not only PocketPC Phone that are having problems with Acura's HFL (See Motorola's V710 for a nice example).

As for Bluetooth implementations, the Bluetooth chip supplier is mostly responsible for that aspect and some of the phone manufacturers are in such hurry to sell their products that they are short changing us the customers.

For pricing, you are right, these phone are expensive without a contract (I committed to a 2 years agreement and the phone was $374CDN plus taxes) Without contract the phone was $799CDn plus taxes. On the other hand, I had a year old Ipaq H2210 that costed me $549CDN plus taxes and this thing was just a PocketPC without Phone.

For the size, I can't complaint as I used to carry the Ipaq along with a Motorola V60C so I basically lost one item I am having to carry now.

As far as not getting the most recent Windows Mobile 5.0 on the phone, I do not think I am going to miss it as with each new versions that Microsoft brings out, new bugs appears. Microsoft just announce an Automotive Version of Microsoft CE 5 for cars and I hope that it will not control the Engine Management System

Ever heard of a car not starting because of the infamous Blue Screen Of Death (Microsoft way of pointing out a problem).

Best of luck in your phone quest

frenchnew

Originally Posted by MeltdowN
Thanks for the update frenchnew. It's good to know that there's at least one breed of PPCs that work with the HFL. The SX66 is a really good phone, but it might be a bit too large for me. Without a contract, I haven't seen it lower than $650.00 anywhere. I'm looking for a GSM, preferably quad band, phone. All these phones use the Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. From what I have read, Microsoft's default Bluetooth implementation is pretty useless and it is up to the manufacturers to beef it up with profiles. With that in mind, I wonder in the Eten M500 has the Handsfree profile (since it also runs on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition).

BTW, you might be interested to know that most of the service providers and phone manufacturers are not going to provide a free update to Windows Mobile 5.0, which is rather unfortunate, given that the OS ROM is said to work fine on the older phones.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Instructor

I think for now I might trade my P910 for a Treo 650. Doesn't look like the current selection of PPCs are compatible with the HFL.

BTW, the TL's Navigation system is powered by Windows CE 4.0 Haven't yet seen a BSOD yet

Thanks for your response!

Originally Posted by frenchnew
As far as not getting the most recent Windows Mobile 5.0 on the phone, I do not think I am going to miss it as with each new versions that Microsoft brings out, new bugs appears. Microsoft just announce an Automotive Version of Microsoft CE 5 for cars and I hope that it will not control the Engine Management System

Ever heard of a car not starting because of the infamous Blue Screen Of Death (Microsoft way of pointing out a problem).

Best of luck in your phone quest

frenchnew