please help me with the nav conversion!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
please help me with the nav conversion!!!

I bought a 08tl type s unit from ebay, but the dealer out here says it won't fit because of the wire harness(even the audio wire is different). I'm having a problem here. I've seen threads where a guy tuned 04tl to 07tl unit. How did that work out? Please help me out. I'm in Korea and I'm having a lot of problems. Or if it's possible, can somebody built a wire harness and I would pay them. Plese HELP!!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are in Korea. Is your car in Korea too? It can't be because I can't imagine the nav working in Korea.

The guy who turned his 04 navi to 07 navi just switched the navi dvd drive. That's all.

No dealer is going to touch a conversion job.

The ebay auction included the clock display (sub-display). It's the type-s display, so it will be red. If you want it to match the rest of your interior, you'll have to buy an 04-06 or 07-08 TL (non type-s) sub-display. part number: 39710-SEP-A41 (04-06)

For the wire harness, you're very fortunate to have pigtails. All you need to do is crimp wires together. It'll get messy because there is a LOT of wiring and you have to understand the electrical diagrams. You need to know what pins go to which connector. You're best bet is to find someone on the boards willing to make the wire harness for you if you send him all your pigtails. You will spend at least $500+ for this because it is a custom job and it will take at least 10 hours (including studying and researching the diagrams) + parts. I have not done any wiring for my car, so I can't help you out. I only know what needs to be done.

Don't mess with the radio unit. That is an entirely different monster and no one on the boards has touched it. You have too many intangibles: noise canceller, aux output, different wiring, etc. It's not worth it. You can mix 04-06 radio w/ an 08 nav system.

You will need to pick up the HFL buttons (part number: 35890-SEP-A11).
The trunk liner is optional, but it will make your trunk look much cleaner. (part number: 84601-SEP-A11ZA).

You can try contacting jptl04 (he did my conversion), geekeng and there's a guy on ebay that sells custom harnesses (I can't seem to find him right now). But before you do so, spend a few hours reading other people's conversion projects. The search feature is back up so you should be able to find them easily. People are willing to help but you need to show that you've been doing your homework and that you understand what a conversion job entails. Good luck.