PIEx3 vs PA11-HON2Y

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIEx3 vs PA11-HON2Y

I'm looking to simply add an AUX in for my carputer. Seems like most people either go with the P.I.E. x3 or the USA-Spec PA11-HON2Y. I like the fact that the PA11-HON2Y doesn't require power like the x3, but it's also $50+ dollars more.

Does anyone either
a) Know of a cheaper self-powered solution than the PA11-HON2Y
b) Know where to get a great deal on the PA11-HON2Y
Old 10-14-2006, 08:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I prefer the USA SPEC or Blitzsafe unit DMX v2. something...

The PIE interrupts the XM audio feed, so when you're in AUX mode, you'll still XM data flashing across the screen. The USA SPEC and Blitzsafe both "emulate" a CD changer, so al least they have a dedicated source to select. It's alos kinda awkward with the big boxes...

I really prefer the USA SPEC, but using an Ipod video, you can't get the video out of the Ipod cable. If you use the extrememac roadshow connected to a blitzsafe and nav2go, you can watch Ipod video on your Nav.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 AM
9th Gear

So, It's not possible to get video out of the Ipod using the PA11-HON2Y and the nav2go? Why does this not work?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I could potentially see a problem with video and the iPod connector of the USA Spec, but I would think you could with iPod audio to the aux input from the USA Spec and the iPod video to the TVandNav2Go. Right?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

2 problems with USA Spec and Ipod Video.

1) When the Ipod is plugged into the USA SPEC cable, the video is "locked" to out-put to the Ipod cable. Since the USA SPEC has no video interface, the cable isn't pinned to output the video.

2) When the Ipod is "locked" to the Ipod cable, the Video is forced out the Ipod cable, thus you can't use the standard Ipod A/V cable.

Th solution I found was this:

Extrememac roudshow, with blitzsafe AUX audio input and avelelectronic (nav2go type) video input.

You could use this product with the USA SPEC, but you'd have 2 Ipod cables flopping around.

If you have no intention to ever send Ipod video to yuor Nav screen, go with the USA Spec. If you ever intend to send Ipod Video, consider the Roadshow.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

So Kennedy, what if you use the aux input of the USA Spec and video from the Dom's unit with the iPod A/V cable? Would that work? I'm having trouble seeing why not.

Too bad I don't own a video iPod to test this out.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced

I'm confused now too. I thought it was possible to use the video output of the iPod video while using the USA Spec. Mostly because of this post https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137485

I just got the 80G video and plan on getting the USASpec one of these days. I thought I'd hook up the video too, but now I'm confused.

-Brian
Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by datmrman
So Kennedy, what if you use the aux input of the USA Spec and video from the Dom's unit with the iPod A/V cable? Would that work? I'm having trouble seeing why not.

Too bad I don't own a video iPod to test this out.
Actually, what I'm saying, thatthat's the only way to do it... but you lose the AUX input doing so.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Ytsejamr
I'm confused now too. I thought it was possible to use the video output of the iPod video while using the USA Spec. Mostly because of this post https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137485

I just got the 80G video and plan on getting the USASpec one of these days. I thought I'd hook up the video too, but now I'm confused.

-Brian
Brian,
It'll work, based on that post, but you lose the AUX port, and you have to have 2 cables... The lower Ipod cable charges, and th eupper is your AV source...

As I was saying earlier... If I'm not mistaken, if BOTH are plugged in, the signal is FORCED out the lower Ipod cable (i.e. no video). You have to unplug (and stop charging) the lower cable to tell the Ipod to send the signal out the upper cable.

With a blitzsafe/roadshow, you only need one "lower" cable.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Brian,
It'll work, based on that post, but you lose the AUX port, and you have to have 2 cables... The lower Ipod cable charges, and th eupper is your AV source...

As I was saying earlier... If I'm not mistaken, if BOTH are plugged in, the signal is FORCED out the lower Ipod cable (i.e. no video). You have to unplug (and stop charging) the lower cable to tell the Ipod to send the signal out the upper cable.

With a blitzsafe/roadshow, you only need one "lower" cable.
I think I'm still confused. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding this post https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137485

It sounds like he's using the USASpec iPod cable for sound for both music and video. He says he can control the FF and RW from the steering wheel which leads me to believe he's using the lower connection and the upper connection when watching videos. I don't see where he's using the AUX connection at all.

Basically i have the USA Spec box running out of the Y adapter from my Acura music link which i removed. The USA Spec ipod wire is plugged into the ipod and that's what i use for music and video sound.

The White cable coming out of the top of the iPod Video 60GB is a Apple A/V cable that runs from the headphone jack to a three prong RCA cable with a video and left and right audio out. I taped off the audio RCA's and ran the video cord back to Doms box in the trunk. The cable for the video cost me $19.95 I did not want to cut anything in the center console so i ran the wires out of the top storage bin under the head unit I have included a pic below. There is a gap above the door that is perfect for the cables...

I also have the USA Spec box for audio hooked up with ipod control BTW...I have control over the videos though the fwd and rev buttons on the steering wheel/head unit and have full control from the ipod itself, good enough for me...

Does it not work when the USASpec is in playlist mode maybe? If you watch the videos in the above post, it doesn't look like he's unplugging any cables.

I guess the only way to be sure is to ask landshark99 or try it myself.

-Brian
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I think I'm still confused. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding this post https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137485

It sounds like he's using the USASpec iPod cable for sound for both music and video. He says he can control the FF and RW from the steering wheel which leads me to believe he's using the lower connection and the upper connection when watching videos. I don't see where he's using the AUX connection at all.

Does it not work when the USASpec is in playlist mode maybe? If you watch the videos in the above post, it doesn't look like he's unplugging any cables.

I guess the only way to be sure is to ask landshark99 or try it myself.

-Brian
I gotta tell you, I'm not sure. But I don't see how that's possible... I have a USA SPEC in our Odyssey, but no video yet.

The way you get into AUX mode is to put the USA SPEC into AUX mode is to select CD6. CD1-CD5 are your "playlists" that you can control with the hand controls. The audio is then received from the RCA's on the USA SPEC unit and the Ipod control is disabled.

Now... you may be able to control the video on the Ipod when in CD1-5, but I'm not sure how the video is getting out.

I look forward to an answer from Landshark.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Advanced

I gotta tell you, I'm not sure. But I don't see how that's possible... I have a USA SPEC in our Odyssey, but no video yet.

The way you get into AUX mode is to put the USA SPEC into AUX mode is to select CD6. CD1-CD5 are your "playlists" that you can control with the hand controls. The audio is then received from the RCA's on the USA SPEC unit and the Ipod control is disabled.

Now... you may be able to control the video on the Ipod when in CD1-5, but I'm not sure how the video is getting out.

I look forward to an answer from Landshark.
When you mean AUX mode, do you mean using the AUX input of the USASpec? Aren't there two modes of the USASpec . . . playlist and full control? I don't have the USASpec yet, so forgive my ignorance. In playlist mode the iPod is locked and you can't use any of the controls (clickwheel). In the other mode the iPod is unlocked right?

I'm wondering if you can't use the video in the playlist mode, but you can if the iPod is unlocked??

I PM'd landshark, but it doesn't look like he visits the forums all that much, so I don't know if he'll get back to me.

-Brian
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

When you mean AUX mode, do you mean using the AUX input of the USASpec? Aren't there two modes of the USASpec . . . playlist and full control? I don't have the USASpec yet, so forgive my ignorance. In playlist mode the iPod is locked and you can't use any of the controls (clickwheel). In the other mode the iPod is unlocked right?

I'm wondering if you can't use the video in the playlist mode, but you can if the iPod is unlocked??

I PM'd landshark, but it doesn't look like he visits the forums all that much, so I don't know if he'll get back to me.

-Brian
Don't confuse "control modes" with "input modes". You put the emulated CD changer on DISK6 to receive the AUX imput signal. This turns off the Ipod cable input.

Your description is correct for "control modes".

Looks lile you're gonnahave to test it out
Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Advanced

PA11-HON2Y Install

How much TL dashboard surgery is required to install the PA11-HON2Y? Does anyone have instructions?

I got my dealer to throw in the MusicLink iPod adapter for my 06 TL, and it's worthless. The software also screwed up my iPod and I had to re-format.

If anyone wants a used Acura adapter...ping me
Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

micwiltay, welcome to the forums! Please spend some time and browse the forum.

Your questions are answered in this thread (somewhere, page13?): THE alternative to MusicLink is here.....

That is the original thread for the USA Spec PA11-HON2, but the installation should be the same for the newer PA11-HON2y and other audio interfaces (Blitzsafe, PIE).

If all else fails, perform a search.

Good luck!

BTW, if you are serious about selling your MusicLink, please do so in the Black Market: Private Sales & Trades thread.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Instructor

To try and clarify things up a bit:

You could have the iPod connected from the dock connector to the UsaSpec and use the video out from the headphone jack at the same time. The audio will still come out of the dock connector through the UsaSpec. The audio will still also come out of the rca's from the headphone jack cable, but you don't have to plug those in. In this scenario, you will still have the available RCA's that are on the UsaSpec adapter to use for something else. Lastly, in order for this setup to work, you have to set the UsaSpec switch to Direct Mode and not Playlist mode. The Playlist Mode will prevent you from controlling the iPod through the clickwheel.

Hopefully this is clear enough for everyone to understand. I sometimes watch videos on my nav through the iPod, but I still prefer to use dvds for the menu options and controls.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Masterpoolcat
To try and clarify things up a bit:

You could have the iPod connected from the dock connector to the UsaSpec and use the video out from the headphone jack at the same time. The audio will still come out of the dock connector through the UsaSpec. The audio will still also come out of the rca's from the headphone jack cable, but you don't have to plug those in. In this scenario, you will still have the available RCA's that are on the UsaSpec adapter to use for something else. Lastly, in order for this setup to work, you have to set the UsaSpec switch to Direct Mode and not Playlist mode. The Playlist Mode will prevent you from controlling the iPod through the clickwheel.

Hopefully this is clear enough for everyone to understand. I sometimes watch videos on my nav through the iPod, but I still prefer to use dvds for the menu options and controls.
Excellent, thanks! That's kind of what I thought based on that other post that I mentioned. Now to get the USASpec and the Nav2Go.

-Brian
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
SSM 6MT

Don't confuse "control modes" with "input modes". You put the emulated CD changer on DISK6 to receive the AUX imput signal. This turns off the Ipod cable input.

Your description is correct for "control modes".

Looks lile you're gonnahave to test it out
I think this is what confused me the most. When you set the USA Spec for direct mode, CD 6 is already selected and you *can* use the iPod cable input. I don't think there is a way to control the "input modes" from the factory radio (and even from the USA Spec too).

I do have one question that I posted in the other USA Spec thread, the updated version has a potentiometer control, and mine is currently set to #4. Is this a gain control? I upgraded my older unit and the manufacturer did not send me an update instruction sheet.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 PM
SSM 6MT

Wow, I just read while in direct mode, the iPod cable works on disc 5 and not disc 6. That is strange since my original PA11-HON2 didn't show a disc, and now that I have the upgraded HON2y, my display shows disc 6 and it's playing through the iPod cable. Okay, so maybe my unit has it reversed???
Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry been traveling...

Sorry been traveling the last few months, and just got back onto Acurazine..

anyway if i can clear some confusion of how i have the ipod connected with teh USA spec and Doms box let me know, Iam using the ipod connector from USA spec so its charging and using the audio for this, and then using the head phone jack on the ipod for the video, not audio, i taped off and hid the audio RCA cables coming from the headphone jack of the ipod and hid them behind the dash. I connected the headphone jack A/V cable (just the video RCA) to Doms unit. i have a switch in the car to switch on the video when i want. the cables are not a problem as i don't watch the video all that muchand when iam not using the video i tuck it in the upper compartment in the center console.. you can connect the a/v cable out of the ipod's headphone jack, but then you lose control of the ipod from the stock buttons...

a couple of worthwhile notes.. a friend of mine borrowed my car, and he just bought a new 80 gb video ipod and he was not able to control it with the stock controls.. and there were some problems with getting it to work after you left it in the car and restarted the car. I assume its a firmware issue from apple and a incompatibility with the USA spec box...

sometimes when i have my 60 gb video ipod connected i have to hit Disc 5 on the stock head unit.. then hit play on the ipod, sometimes i have to hit it twice...

other then that very happy with the quality of the video and the audio is fantastic... the nav unit is showing its age, i would expect an updated screen in 2008...

if you have any questions please let me know i would be happy to take pics or explain further.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:11 PM
9th Gear

Can anyone confirm if the 80gb ipod is incompatible w/ the latest USA SPEC?

I just bought the PA11-HON2y and I don't have an Ipod yet, and wanted to get the 80gb.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Cruisin'

Q about USA Spec

It sounds like the USA Spec is controlled from the iPod directly. Where do you guys put the iPod?--does it just dangle from a cable? where does the cable come from? I need to have my MusicLink yanked by the dealer because it is a big disappointment, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'd like the iPod stashed in the glove box and have artist/album/song info on the navi screen. Thanks for ideas, anybody.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Do a search for Kuda and Pro Clip. They are popular iPod mounts that don't require any modification to your interior. I think most people then run the cables through the storage bins under the radio.

-Brian
Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by brifro
It sounds like the USA Spec is controlled from the iPod directly. Where do you guys put the iPod?--does it just dangle from a cable? where does the cable come from? I need to have my MusicLink yanked by the dealer because it is a big disappointment, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'd like the iPod stashed in the glove box and have artist/album/song info on the navi screen. Thanks for ideas, anybody.
better than the glove box it doesn't take much work to get it into the arm rest. remove the silver driver side trim and a few screws to loose the center console and the wire comes right up through the bottom 'trap door' in the arm rest, no damage to anything and out of site. you can see my install of pics and video at http://www.ipodforautos.ca
Old 01-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

Can someone PM me on where I could find the PIE X3 cause I can't find it on the webpages provided thanks
~Jason
Old 01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Man, you're lazy. You've been on here for how many months now?!

BROWSE AND SEARCH

From the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ:

Q: Where can I buy these aftermarket audio interfaces? What online stores would you recommend?
logjam
enfig
myradiostore
discountcarstereo

I went to myradiostore.us.. tried a search, it didn't find it.. browsed a bit.

BINGO: PIE X3HON03 with X3 Brain Module

2 minutes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TravPro
better than the glove box it doesn't take much work to get it into the arm rest. remove the silver driver side trim and a few screws to loose the center console and the wire comes right up through the bottom 'trap door' in the arm rest, no damage to anything and out of site. you can see my install of pics and video at http://www.ipodforautos.ca
That's your video? VERY helpful. Had questions regarding compatibility of the USA SPEC with Canadian models, the 06 model, as well as how the heck does this thing work...and that video sold it. One question...it'll work with Navi right? I assume yes since after reading about 30 pages on the forums here, I didn't encounter anyone with Navi problems. Anyway, thanks again for the video and I'll get it from that site.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:20 AM
9th Gear

If still interested I'd be happy to guide you through it, tough on one part but not much removal of panels/screws. cheers.
travpro

Originally Posted by micwiltay
How much TL dashboard surgery is required to install the PA11-HON2Y? Does anyone have instructions?

I got my dealer to throw in the MusicLink iPod adapter for my 06 TL, and it's worthless. The software also screwed up my iPod and I had to re-format.

If anyone wants a used Acura adapter...ping me
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

What makes you ask that? Also, have you read through this thread: Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y
Old 05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tpoony
After posting in this thread 7 months ago, I finally got the USASpec.

So for the record, it works with my 80G 5th Gen iPod Video. I don't know my firmware off hand, but I'm pretty sure it's up to date, so if you get the latest iPod firmware you should be good. I just wanted to let anyone know who was still wondering about the 5th Gen iPod's and the USASpec.

-Brian