PHONE displays on my dash every time I get into the car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirac
Just thought I'd dispel another thought. Lately I've been leaving Bluetooth on my Z600 turned OFF until I get in the car and start it up. Once the car starts I'll turn the Bluetooth on the phone ON and it will pair with the car. Today I did this, and as soon as I turned the phone on and it paired with the TL, the PHONE message displayed and the MID went to the HFL page. So apparently this doesn't make a difference either.
Interesting!

Right now, I'm still stickin' to my "random" theory...

Just to experiment this morning, I sent myself an unanswered Voicemail and an unanswered Text Message.

Then, I went out to my TL and started it up. No unusual "PHONE" displays from the MID / LCD over the vents. Everything worked great. My V710 was paired immediately when I started the car, so it wasn't a pairing issue.

I can probably come up with a closer relationship to ambient barometric pressure.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:12 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
I can probably come up with a closer relationship to ambient barometric pressure.
you could be on to something here
Old 08-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Moonwalker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I've been using the SE T637 for 3 weeks now and so far, I've still only seen "PHONE" when I've had a missed call (either with or without leaving a voicemail). My firmware version is R3A025, and I usually, but not always, leave the phone in the upper armrest tray connected to a charger plugged into the outlet in the lower compartment.

I don't know if this is a "feature" or not, but I'll accept it as one, unless the "PHONE" thingy starts popping up randomly.

If anyone else is having T637 problems, let's see if there's a difference in the firmware.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Novice
I had the same problem with T616. What I did was that I pressed "Phone Cancel" button on the steering wheel. I did that a couple of times in the past. It's been over one month and the problem hasn't come back yet.
Interesting... My T616 never did this, and I used it in my TL for almost a year. Just the other day I upgraded to a T637, and suddenly I see this happen. The word "PHONE" appears on the dash LCD, and the MID shows battery and RSSI indicators. I hit the menu button and the HFL said "no phone found."

Hitting the cancel button seemed to clear the condition.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I am beginning to think there was something in the firmware upgrade from R1A to R1B on the S/E T616 that is causing this. Whatever it is it seems to have been incorporated into the firmware for the T637 as well.

I am beginning to think that we should refer this thread to S/E and see if they can figure out what it is and fix it on the next firmware upgrade for all the T6xx phones.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

For the T637:

How can I tell what firmware version I am using?

Where can I get the firmware upgrades? Can I send it over via BT?

My T637 has done this ever since I got it and sometimes (rarely) acts a little strange with the TL.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ITL
For the T637:

How can I tell what firmware version I am using?

Where can I get the firmware upgrades? Can I send it over via BT?

My T637 has done this ever since I got it and sometimes (rarely) acts a little strange with the TL.

From the main screen, click:

right star left left star left star
Old 09-28-2004, 08:29 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
From the main screen, click:

right star left left star left star
right star - takes me to the connect menu
left left - does nothing, because I am at a menu where I can move up or down (options=bluetooth, infrared port, WAP options....)

Maybe the menus are different with different firmware? Could you give me menu bar titles or something?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:10 AM
I'm Baaack!

ITL - each command is separate,
right = go right with joystick
star = hit the star key
left = go left on joystick etc ....

S/ET637 .. firmware R3A027
Just had PHONE come up yesterday and Buzz was right on the money, had a missed call and a new text message. I have seen PHONE 3 times and all three were for the same reason.

Might be a desired condition after you get the firmware upgraded?!?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
ITL - each command is separate,
right = go right with joystick
star = hit the star key
left = go left on joystick etc ....

That's the way I originally interpreted the instructions.
When I hit right, then star- it takes me to the Connect menu and BLUETOOTH is highlighted. You next step is to hit left twice, which does nothing b/c of the menu I am at.

From the main screen, here's what happens:
right -takes me to the screen with different options (MESSAGES is selected in the middle)
star -selects the bottom left option (CONNECT menu)
left -not functional here (this is where I get stuck)
left
star
left
star
Old 09-30-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm Baaack!

Did you follow through for all instructions (even though it looked like nothing was happening) ?

From where you get stuck you will not see the menu move until the last star, then you'll see a menu iten for Service Info, select that then SW (Software) Information.

Select that .. the first series of characters is your firmware version.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:23 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

ahhhhhhh.....I see now....it's like a code to unlock

I was trying to navigate through menus. It all makes perfect sense now now I feel stupid

Looks like my firmware is R3A025

How does one upgrade firmware on the T637? I can setup a BT connection w/ my laptop.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm Baaack!

You should be able to take it to a local dealer,

other option is PM mobilezen on this forum
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Racer

I contacted S/E in Canada for my upgrade. The problem with going through a local dealer is that this could void your warranty on the phone. You should check with S/E before using someone local. I think S/E or your service provider may well provide the upgrade during the warranty period at no charge.

Mobilezen could do it for you but I think he is in Texas.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm Baaack!

smoore's right I said dealer, I meant service provider

Thanks for clarifying!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:27 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
smoore's right I said dealer, I meant service provider

Thanks for clarifying!

yeah, I was kind of confused about that at first......why could I not upgrade the firmware myself? How hard can it really be?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm Baaack!

I think you still need to go to them, but a service provider's authorized store (not just a kiosk) should be able to do it.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Racer

On S/E phones I think you need a special cable. I think on one of the threads Mobilezen indicated that you can really screw up your phone if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:30 AM
8th Gear

Yep, I get this on mine too. I've a T610, tried everything but still cannot get rid of it.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Advanced

I just got my T637 last Monday and have had this random "PHONE" display issue when entering the car on two occassions. R3A025 is my software version and I am with Cingular as well. Did anyone conclude that a new firmware was available and that new firmware corrects this issue? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLS-Fiend
I just got my T637 last Monday and have had this random "PHONE" display issue when entering the car on two occassions. R3A025 is my software version and I am with Cingular as well. Did anyone conclude that a new firmware was available and that new firmware corrects this issue? Thanks!
Actually some of us suspect that the upgraded firmware for the S/E 610, 616 etc is what created the problem. We suspect the problem was integrated into the 637 firmware.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:35 AM
8th Gear

Yep, its random. I did some testing and it didn't confirm to be anything logical. I'm sure we are missing something but don't know what!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Instructor

A couple new thoughts.

1) Does this happen with visibility/discovery mode OFF? I've had my visibility set to ON and maybe it's trying to connect and search at the same time.

2) Any better luck with R6C005? I have R5B001, and would be willing to try the upgrade if no one has already.

Mobilezen, I'm in D/FW until Thursday if you still do upgrades.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Instructor

I know this will jinx me, but I have not had PHONE come up ever since I turned BT visibility off. I just wanted to post this so my car will hurry up and prove that's not the reason. Still with R5B.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I know this will jinx me, but I have not had PHONE come up ever since I turned BT visibility off. I just wanted to post this so my car will hurry up and prove that's not the reason. Still with R5B.
Dirac, this is an excellent suggestion! I turned visibilty off on my phone. I will see how it reacts with this setting. (Off-topic, but I wonder if this saves battery life as well since it's not broadcasting.)

Guys with the T637, turn off your discovery mode on your phone:
Connect > Bluetooth > Options > Visibility > Hide Phone

Let's see if this works!
Old 11-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ITL
Dirac, this is an excellent suggestion! I turned visibilty off on my phone. I will see how it reacts with this setting. (Off-topic, but I wonder if this saves battery life as well since it's not broadcasting.)

Guys with the T637, turn off your discovery mode on your phone:
Connect > Bluetooth > Options > Visibility > Hide Phone

Let's see if this works!

My visibility has always been off but I still see the "Phone" every time I enter the car...Previously I had read that if you press the "Talk" button and then "Cancel", then the "Phone" symbol would go away...and that has worked...but I want something more permanent so I'm going to read more on it...Thanks to all for their advice!!!

By the way, I have a T610....

R1S001 (This is the first code that I see)

ITP Version: R1B007

I'm probably going to call up T-Mobile today in the evening and tell them to do a software upgrade over the phone (I believe they can do that, so I'll give that shot and see what happens)
Old 11-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Instructor

The ability to do phone upgrades from Sony Ericsson over-the-air comes and goes. I had to send my Z600 in to a service center in Morrisville NC, but it is unbranded so it was a Sony Ericsson warranty repair. Turnaround time was about a week. T-Mobile/Cingular might do it differently. R1S seems like an old revision for the T610... I know on the Z600 the newer firmware revisions (including R6C) were supposed to fix some Bluetooth issues. Your PHONE problem might be resulting from older firmware, ours might be resulting from visibility. Someone also suggested lunar tides, I believe.

Of course, there is also the NO PHONE problem...
Old 11-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Instructor

For the record, I had the PHONE message again today and my visibility was set to OFF. But it was the first time in about 30 tries. Before, it seemed to be happening every other time.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Advanced

I wanted to test why this is happening with my phone and so far this is what I have noticed (and this may be a fluke). If I keep my phone bluetooth mode ON after I leave the car and I receive calls while away from the car during the day, when I get back into the car the PHONE message will display on the radio.
If when exiting my car I turn the phone bluetooth mode OFF and then receive phone calls during the day, once I leave work and turn phone bluetooth mode ON before entering the car then PHONE message does not display on the radio.
The two or three instances I have had PHONE to display on the radio when entering the car was when I left the phone bluetooth mode ON all day and had incoming calls to my phone whether answered OR rolled to voicemail. As I said this may be a fluke but so far it is replicating itself.
BTW, I always keep my phone visibility to OFF so other bluetooth devices cannot easily "find" me!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Racer

Does this happen with visibility/discovery mode OFF?
It does for me.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Instructor

I finally had the message come up for me too. I leave my visibility off anyway. The only problem is that sometimes I have to manually connect to the car, most noticeably if I get out of range and come back in range without shutting the car off.