PDA/phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDA/phone

Is there a PDA/phone (with large PDA touch screen) that supports HFP and can pair with the TL?
Is there any such device in the works?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Yes this would be a great thing to have...
Old 06-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

XDA II / I-Mate PDA/Phone is the top of the line feature-rich PDA/phone available worldwide (in my opinion).
It supports Bluetooth but unfortunately not hands-free profile.

I just found out that there is software that claims to implement HFP for it - it is called "Pocket Bluetooth Tools" - Google that. If anyone has XDA II and has tried this with the TL please let us know of your experience!
Old 06-27-2004, 02:13 PM
8th Gear

PDA Bluetooth Interfacing

There might be brainstorming sessions between phone manufacturers/phone carriers/auto manufacturers to interface with the calendar since there is a calendar option with the system and connecting to all the contacts on the PDA.

That would be a fantastic feature. Perhaps additional coding is required and we would have to wait for the newer CD and system upgrades.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Drifting

It is all up to the manufacturer and regulations whether or not they want to suppor the bluetooth headset profile. There has to be a reason, they're not putting it on but who knows why. Its so hard to get a straight answer cause whenever you call you get some idiot customer service rep with the answers that begin with "Sir/Ma'am, I don't know...." or "Sir/Ma'am, You know I'm not quite sure..." or "Sir/Ma'am, we cannot disclose any of that information at the moment."
Old 07-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Instructor

I think the Treo 610 (no confirmation that this will be the model #) the successor to the Treo 600 is supposed to have BlueTooth and rumors or HFP. Not due out until Fall 2004 so lots of time to speculate on that one. I'm getting it if if has HFP.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Drifting

The Treo 610 is the slated model name for the next Treo. I can't stand Palm OS though and all its variations a'la Sony. I've been corresponding with a friend from Microsoft. He said that activating any kind of bluetooth on their Pocket PC devices is purely software driver based. In that sceneio, it would be advantageous to see handsfree profile appear.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:48 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mobilezen, do you know anything about the O2 XDA II? Who carry GPRS in the US? If I bought this PDA, witch service provider can I use? It supports GSM 900/1800, PCS 1900. I do not want sprint though. Will it work with T-Mobile?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:41 PM
RPM
2nd Gear

Nokia 3620

According to AT&T Wireless, the Nokia 3620 has bluetooth and it is on the Acura TL list for pairing. It seems to have calendar, to do and address book with sync to Outllok and Lotus Notes. All appears good, except the AT&T coverage in my area is less than good. Anyone know if this is a good phone in the TL?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by joganjani
Mobilezen, do you know anything about the O2 XDA II? Who carry GPRS in the US? If I bought this PDA, witch service provider can I use? It supports GSM 900/1800, PCS 1900. I do not want sprint though. Will it work with T-Mobile?
The O2 XDA II or iMate is a GSM phone. Sprint does not operate off of GSM. They are a CDMA carrier in the U.S. To my knowledge, even after enabling the handsfree profile on the XDA II, it still will not work with handsfree link. I don't know why. So far, none of the PDA/Phone combinations currently available or coming out in the near future will not support handsfree profile. The only one I do not know for sure is the Treo 610 but I'm not a fan of palm anyway. As for my XDA II recommendation, save yourself headaches and heartache, don't buy it.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Instructor

If anyone has any more info on a PDA Bluetooth HFP, I'm am anxiously waiting. I really can't stand the reception of my T616 on the TL (yes I have the latest firmware). But I don't want to upgrade to a T637 or Nokia 6820 or comparable if there is a way to get my PDA and phone combined w/ Bluetooth or one is known to be on the horizon. I was a long time Palm user that switched to an iPAQ 2 years ago (very painful process). So I'm not so keen to switch back but could live with either OP Sys. Just need it to be small enough to fit in my pocket (Treo 600 is small enough).
Old 07-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Here's a new PDA/phone with Bluetooth...don't know if it supports HFP or not, but man it'll be cool if it does. This would be the perfect replacement for my Pocket PC Phone Edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ipaqh6300.mspx

I signed up w/T-Mobile to get more information when it comes out (http://www.getmoreconnected.com/).

Anybody have any more info on this one?

- Peter
Old 07-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pgould
Here's a new PDA/phone with Bluetooth...don't know if it supports HFP or not, but man it'll be cool if it does. This would be the perfect replacement for my Pocket PC Phone Edition.

I signed up w/T-Mobile to get more information when it comes out (http://www.getmoreconnected.com/).

Anybody have any more info on this one?

- Peter
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...e=FA239A%23ABA

It will not support handsfree profile though.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Well, like you said earlier, mobilezen...the handsfree profile would be software driver based. Maybe we could get some industrious programmer to write a BT driver that supports the handsfree profile???

wishful thinking on my part...I absolutely love my ipaq 5555, but I would love it even more if it had a damn cell phone built in to it...so I'm thinking of upgrading to the 63xx series of ipaq, even if it doesn't support BT handsfree profile.

I'm assuming that if you buy this direct from HP, it would come unbranded and unlocked?? Mobilezen, can't you entreat your buddy at Microsoft to run a little side project under Gates' nose and hook us up with a handsfree profile? I'm willing to chip in 5 bucks to cover his time...let's get a pot going.

Matt
Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Drifting

I'm not sure if my Microsoft contact is a programmer. I will definitely put in the request. On another note though, someone attempted to enable the headset profile (Driver based) from an ipaq. He wanted to use his bluetooth headset as a audio listening headset and to his disappointment after numoerous tries, it did not work. I have faith on the ipaq 6315 though. As for the unbranded/unlocked box...I think it will come in a T-Mobile branded box. It should be locked to T-Mobile I think as they have an exclusive on this device for the next 4-6 months then you will see the other carriers get it. Just like how AT&T had an exclusive on the V600, now everybody is coming out with it.l
Old 07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wanta04tl
If anyone has any more info on a PDA Bluetooth HFP, I'm am anxiously waiting. I really can't stand the reception of my T616 on the TL (yes I have the latest firmware). But I don't want to upgrade to a T637 or Nokia 6820 or comparable if there is a way to get my PDA and phone combined w/ Bluetooth or one is known to be on the horizon. I was a long time Palm user that switched to an iPAQ 2 years ago (very painful process). So I'm not so keen to switch back but could live with either OP Sys. Just need it to be small enough to fit in my pocket (Treo 600 is small enough).
Treo 610 or wait for the Moto Mx220.. it is badass.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by captain
Treo 610 or wait for the Moto Mx220.. it is badass.
Palm O/S is not meant for some people like me. It's a solid performer but I could never get used to it. The Treo is a good size device but there should be a detachable thumbpad instead of integrating it so you can get bigger keys possibly. MX220... fun device. Never have been a fan of motorola. I'll keep my trusty P900 for now.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Cruisin'

No HFP on h6315?

Originally Posted by mobilezen
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...e=FA239A%23ABA

It will not support handsfree profile though.
How do you know it is not going to support HFP?
I found several web sites that explicitly say it WILL support HFP:

http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page952.html
http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=H6315
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=529
Old 07-28-2004, 05:23 AM
Advanced

I don't understand why it wouldn't support handsfree. HP goes to all the expense of making this device, with wireless, GSM, bluetooth, etc. and they leave off something as simple as the handsfree? According to mobilezen, it's just a software issue, so it seems like it would be an extremely easy thing to add, either from HP or Microsoft. And, with how much flack Verizon is getting for not having a bluetooth phone for use in the TL, I would think that HP and T-Mobile would take the hint and not alienate potential customers (according to that other thread discussing sales figures, 04 TL owners have now reached over 50K in numbers...we're an army)

I really hope it does support the handsfree, but I guess we won't know until they actually hit the streets and someone tries it with their TL. I'm willing to be the test subject, since this will probably cause me to switch to T-Mobile just for this phone.

Matt
Old 07-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Well, I'm basing this from experience from other Pocket PCs and that it is software based. I too hope it is a firmware based design so it will have the possibility of working with the TL.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

Hp Ipaq 6300

It seems that this phone may do the trick for those that want PDA\Phone. It seems to have the necessary Bluetooth capability. It will only be available through T-Moblie though.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Drifting

If the IPAQ 6315 behaves anything like the MDA/XDA II then I would avoid it. I'd like to play with one soon and see what its all about. Pocket PCs in general are too wide and bulky for me but that will most likely change in the future. I have seen 2 pics of the 6300 and they have been different. One with the keypad/thumbpad and one without it. hmm, guess we'll have to wait for the stores to get them.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Racer

I got to play with a pre-prod Moto Mx220 on Friday. Not quite a full pda, but close enough for me... it was very cool. Bluetooth, 1 Mp camera, quad band, MS mobile windows, SD card slot, the size of a Moto 710.. and that it is expected this fall.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=478
Old 08-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mobilezen
One with the keypad/thumbpad and one without it. hmm, guess we'll have to wait for the stores to get them.
The keypad's detachable (plugs into the bottom of the device) - that's probably why you've seen images of the phone with and without it...